The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 8, 1999, 12:38 PM   #1
srt6

Just curious. On the person, specifically entry tm operator, what type of knives do most prefer. Folders, fixed blade, production, custom blade, etc. What qualities did you look for...size, steel type, serrated or not, handle material. Also location of wear, vest, pocket, attached to holster, etc.

I personally carry a BM CQC 7 folder clipped to inside of thigh holster(in between leg and strap), but was investigating the possibility of attaching fixed blade probably 5 inches to vest. Any experiences??
Old January 8, 1999, 05:19 PM   #2
snoman

I Like and use a Blackjack Dive/Entry Knife. It is built like a tank and does not have that evil "Assult Knife" look to it. It will handle all you can dish out and then ask for more!!!

---SNOMAN---
Old January 13, 1999, 05:50 PM   #3
Harry Humphries
Staff Alumnus

Commercial Folders make practical sense. By the way you should try the new Emerson produced CQC7. Ernie has made great improvements since taking over production from "Bench Made". Actually most of the commercial folders are decent. Customs are too expensive and offer little if any advantage over a quality commercial piece provided a liner lock blade locking system is employed.

The knife should be readily accessible with tactical gear use. Easily accessed frontal positions make the most sense. I like the thigh strap position myself as does Chalker. When I was wearing load bearing gear, I liked the weak side shoulder position, inverted carry, for my K-Bar.

[This message has been edited by Harry Humphries (edited 01-13-99).]