The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2020, 11:24 PM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Always like the 284. For many years I was on the scout for a 88 myself.
Never happened for me. So I settled for a rifle that wasn't close to a 284's stats but haven't been disappointed with my choice all these years. Since me & the 99 named >Ol' Red< have been partnered up.

(Savage model E carbine >300 cal.)
Old February 10, 2020, 11:56 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
At 54, i shot a .413 group and scared myself.
You got sub .5MOA group with a bolt action sporter and that bullet, I'd say its time to STOP there, and enjoy it. Forget the "long throat" clearly its not a problem with that load.

2.800" is the listed max COAL (loaded length with bullet). That length should work through the magazine. Your chamber may take longer length loads, but doing that negates the "repeater" function, generally.

No point to loading too long for the magazine unless you have to, and its a rare rifle that won't be accurate enough for hunting with standard length loads.

If you're chasing some special case, like a couple thousandths group size winning or losing the match, that's another matter. If you've got a sub MOA HUNTING RIFLE, go HUNTING!
and stop tinkering, odds are high you won't get much, if any improvement.

see what it does with the 175gr class bullets and don't worry about a handful of FPS difference from published specs.
Old February 11, 2020, 04:26 PM   #28
old roper

0DARK30, I gather your posting about bolt action 284. I'm not sure what your
magazine length is. As you know mine is build long action and magazine handle longer oal 3.300".

I've been shooting 162gr ELD-X and filled my bull tag with that.
This may help
https://bergerbullets.com/wp-content...13/03/COAL.pdf
NRA Life Member
Old February 11, 2020, 06:45 PM   #29
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
The 284 has a long freebore for a reason.
That reason is the firearms it was chambered for the Model 100, and Model 88.
You will typically find longer freebores in these due to the action being weaker than a modern bolt action.

The long freebore is an old trick to help keep pressures down.
The SAAMI chamber drawing has zero freebore. The 47.52 MOA tapered throat (leade) starts at the chamber mouth at .290 inch diameter then about half an inch to .2755 inch bore diameter. Most bullets seated to a 2.8 inch COAL will jump no more than .010 to .015 inch into the lands.

Peak average pressure is 56,000 psi. Proof loads are about 77,000 psi. This may partially due to .284 diameter bullets squeezing down into a barrel groove spec of .283 diameter.

Last edited by Bart B.; February 11, 2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old February 11, 2020, 08:09 PM   #30
old roper

Bartlein 7mm groove dia is .284

https://bartleinbarrels.com/calibers/
NRA Life Member
Old February 12, 2020, 10:21 AM   #31
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
You got (one?) sub .5MOA group with a bolt action sporter and that bullet, I'd say its time to STOP there, and enjoy it. Forget the "long throat" clearly its not a problem with that load
Reread this post then noticed a flaw in the conclusion.

All few shot groups are not the same size. They range from near zero to some larger size. A 3X to 4X spread across several is normal. The first group will usually be somewhere in between those limits. You need to shoot several such groups. Then claim the one that best represents what can be counted on, or bettered, all the time. All but one group will be larger than the smallest. All but one group will be smaller than the largest.

Several 30-shot groups will all be close to the same size. These represent what can be counted on 99% of the time.

How often can you shoot a .413 inch or smaller few shot groups with a given load?

Will everyone shoot the same stuff (rifle and ammo) equally precise?

This is just food for thought; don't ckoke on it.

Last edited by Bart B.; February 12, 2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old February 12, 2020, 11:55 AM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Perhaps I was not clear enough, it happens. What I meant by "stop and enjoy it" was not "stop now, thou hast found the Holy Grail and need never go on" but more of a "stop, pause a while, and get to know this rung of the ladder". See if its it a narrow ledge, or if its somewhat broader...

One teeny group only proves you shot one teeny group, and that's what I meant, stop there, and shoot more with that load to see if that teeny group is a fluke or average performance.
Old February 12, 2020, 12:19 PM   #33
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Perhaps I was not clear enough, it happens. What I meant by "stop and enjoy it" was not "stop now, thou hast found the Holy Grail and need never go on" but more of a "stop, pause a while, and get to know this rung of the ladder". See if its it a narrow ledge, or if its somewhat broader...

One teeny group only proves you shot one teeny group, and that's what I meant, stop there, and shoot more with that load to see if that teeny group is a fluke or average performance.
Well stated. Thanks.

Hopefully, std7mag will understand and agree.
Old February 2, 2024, 06:35 PM   #34
0DARK30

Been tied up but

So family illness took me away for a while, all the way to gun free europe, but i recently got back stateside and put my Hornady overall length gage to work on my win 100 in .284 win, and wow the factory bullets are just being slung down the throat....like 3/8 of an inch.... I set a Hornady 180 ballistic tip and seated it to the lands, about 1/8" left in the case neck. A .020 set back won't help make it usable. Im dialed in to 3moa on factory loads.... not impressive. I will check specs on the big bergers and see if i can get any more body length to get some suitable neck tension, now im worried about mag length. I can single round load the mauser but maybe thats not so doable on a semi auto. I wonder if anyone makes lonnggg round nose soft tips like carcano used... . More fun to come i guess lol. Havent even determined best weight for harmonics this may never be a real shooter
Old February 24, 2024, 04:05 AM   #35
wachtelhund1

My go to deer rifle is a Winchester 100 .308 carbine. I also have a cherry unfired 100 in .243. The model 100's were great shooters as long as they were kept clean. I clean mine before the deer season, fire one round to get the oil out of the barrel. One shot for a deer and then clean it again before putting it away. I mean completely stripping it down for cleaning. The model 100's respond well to glass bedding which will tighten the groups. My carbine is a steady 1.5 to 2". Not to bad for a 60 year old semi-auto. The bedding process is a four step process. I posted years ago this four step process here on the firing line, a search should find it. There was a re-call for the firing pin. Call Winchester and give them your serial number. They will tell you if the firing pin was change. If not, they will send you a new firing pin and check to have it installed. I received a check for $30.00 when I got my 100 .243. I think Winchester is still honoring this policy.
Old February 24, 2024, 06:11 AM   #36
GeauxTide

Definitely full length size your cases. Stay with medium burn rate powders in an auto. H-4895 is a good powder to start with. Be sure to get a manual. Starting load from Lee Manual shows over 2600fps, which should be dandy for 200 yard shots with 140GMK.

Tags
284 win , 284 winchester , model 100 , semi auto hunter