The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 30, 2007, 07:24 AM   #76
Te Anau

The P22 should be pulled from the market---its garbage.
Old November 30, 2007, 09:30 AM   #77
yomama

anyone want to buy mine?
Old November 30, 2007, 11:22 AM   #78
HisSoldier

I'll say it again, and again times 20. If the buying public can't discriminate between well known gun making materials and cheap substitutes like plastic, aluminum and zinc then the marketplace will continue to demand guns made of garbage. People say a steel gun is too heavy, but tools that last often are heavier than cheap toy look alikes. We are a culture raised with plastic toys, and many of us can't tell the difference! Many of us have never asked the gun salesman if the frame is aluminum or steel. I can't count the number of times I've asked that very question! That black plastic frame looks just like that laser blaster in a popular cartoon, that's the thinking I think. The buying public just never grew up when it comes to quality gun materials. The more I hear about stuff like this the more I'm going to say these things again. People come back with stuff like "There's nothing wrong with (put crud material name here) guns, they've been made that way for (put number of years stupid people have bought crud material guns here) years! You are out of touch HisSoldier". Well, I'm in touch with what a good gun is made of, and I refuse to be quiet.
Old November 9, 2008, 04:59 PM   #79
Sevengunner

P22 Slide Crack

Just to document another incident for the membership. My P22 slide cracked right behind the place where the front sight would be on a 3" barrel (mine's a 5"). I've had it 3+ years, but seldom shoot more than 200 rounds/month.

I'm FedEx'ing the thing back tomorrow. The person who answered the phone at Walther was a jerk and offered no information except the minimum. Maybe he was having PMS. We'll see how this all goes.

This is the gun's second return, the first was when the safety was "walking" down. That time the gun shop that sold it to me took care of the shipping and dealing with Walther.

The gun is fun to shoot and a great introductory weapon for newbies, so I'll keep it for the grand children. Nonetheless I'm thinking my next purchase will be a .22 wheel gun, so I can have my cheap thrills without the drama.

Let's give them what they want and we'll have peace in our time.
-----------------------------------------------------
Savage MK II
S&W 620
Walther P22
Old November 9, 2008, 11:45 PM   #80
B.N.Real

I actually liked the P22 when I saw one in a local gun store.

But thanks to the internet and several instances of this slide cracking happening in different guns,I won't be buying one ever,

Not even used at a 'steal' price.

Darn shame too,the little gun has a great grip and balance too it.

And it's got a great look to it as well (if you like that kind of styling).

I'll spend my money on proven guns like the Ruger or the Buckmark.
Old November 10, 2008, 01:35 AM   #81
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Sorry man, but when I read overly emotional and exagerated claims about what could happen and oh the horrrors of what could happen to bystanders, I am amazed.
That was not out of line, very true in fact. Research before you buy. Or better yet, if you have prior knowledge of a problem with a product, dont by it at all!

I have one, love it.
Old November 10, 2008, 05:52 AM   #82
wayneniamat

images?

Sevengunner, did you take photos? Original images give us credibility ... and a captive audience.

I can't deny I haven't attempted to 'stir' emotion each time a fresh photo of another broken p22 emerges.

Posters usually end up submitting a dry, chronological type, 'incident report' and I use the opportunity to coax the emotion out whenever I can. So, yes, it gets a little cheezy, maybe a broken p22 slide NEVER actually went boomerang'N around the stalls killing everyone in the range but, that doesn't mean it couldn't happen!

It takes courage to post. The guys I look up to at the range, The grizzled, leather-necked, ole-timers that I respect so much, insult us. "Ah! Commie, girlie-man!!! my grandaddy's colt used to bite his thumb clean-off with each shot...but he'd just sew it on again and keep on 'plinkin'... <cough> "Aaarghhh! GUNS BREAK!"

Not on my watch, ole-timer! If it's weak it ain't gonna survive.
Old March 11, 2009, 06:35 PM   #83
tcraigalexander

p22 broken slide

my slide broke and i sent it in per walther to get checked out fixed. they were going to charge me 90$ to fix it but apparently it went to the wrong person. i believe they might fix it free of charge.... i will post the details of what happens....

Last edited by tcraigalexander; March 12, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old March 11, 2009, 06:39 PM   #84
tcraigalexander

safety walking down

yeah, sevengunner... my safety has been 'walking' down since about the first 6mths i owned it. why not recall the thing and replace the slides with good metals. i have many issues with this gun but the breaking slide is the one that got me.

Last edited by tcraigalexander; March 12, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:03 AM   #85
wayneniamat

spike ...

Noticed a spike in web hits. See catastrophic failure reported here ... http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=11&t=301203 ... the gentleman is leaning towards the ammunition as a cause for his failure. He's been directed to visit our forum so ... "welcome to the party pal!".

In an 'unrelated' incident, I've also been contacted by someone that has given me permission to post pics and story. In his own words ...

"I was out shooting with a buddy, we had put a 10 round magazine of thunderbolt .22 through the gun and fired 2 shots from the second when the slide stuck back.

I assumed it had jammed like before with the type "A" mags so I went to clear it. I didn't discover the cracks until after I fired it again. The gun jammed again so I took out my flashlight and took a better look.

The cracks were on both sides of the gun also on the front and back. It looked like the metal just separated, not like an explosion but a temperature crack or stress crack. I was shooting in 40 degree weather, the metal may have just jumped in temperature so fast it snapped.

Shocked the crap out of me, I had never heard of the problem until I looked it up and was referred to your site.

I'll be sending the gun in for a replacement slide and most likely trade or sell it for something more reliable.

Such a shame my buddy has the same gun, hope it doesn't happen to him.

Matthew B."

Old March 19, 2010, 12:03 PM   #86
Keebler

Slide just cracked on mine

After nearly 5,000 rounds, the slide on my P22 crack clean through yesterday.

It's been a great gun until this...