The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2018, 06:24 AM   #26
JJ45

How many things "East German" do you know of?...They aren't gonna make them anymore!

Even the rain pattern or "splinter" camo, military cloth holsters command collector prices compared to being able to buy them for about $5 a piece when they first came available.

I have a couple of them. Also have an EG paratroopers vest that has an inside pocket for a Mak in the identical camo pattern, canteens with that same camo cover, etc An EG lanyard. A camo sack in that pattern.

Sort of an EG collection but really not intentional. These curios were so relatively cheap at the time that they were hard to pass up.
Old February 10, 2018, 06:39 AM   #27
JJ45

mr bolo, the Bulgarians are also military issue. The other Mil issues would be Russian and Chinese.Possibly others I don't know of. As was said, the military Russians command the highest prices.

The only commercial Maks I know of are the Russian high caps and the ones with the adjustable rear sights marketed by Baikal and someone else, IIRC. But I think they are built with military surplus parts. I could be wrong but thats what I recall.
Old February 10, 2018, 01:11 PM   #28
mr bolo

JJ45

do you mean the Bulgarian & Russian imports are actual military surplus? like the East German models?

I thought Bulgy & Russian were newly manufactured for export? not actual surplus from the Cold War era like the EG MAK

a military surplus Makarov should be COLD WAR dated like from 1960's - 1970's or 80's before the fall of the Soviet Union
Old February 10, 2018, 01:23 PM   #29
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
JJ45

do you mean the Bulgarian & Russian imports are actual military surplus? like the East German models?

I thought Bulgy & Russian were newly manufactured for export? not actual surplus from the Cold War era like the EG MAK

a military surplus Makarov should be COLD WAR dated like from 1960's - 1970's or 80's before the fall of the Soviet Union
There are some Russian Military pistols floating around, but most came in mistakenly as Bulgies. The most common Russians are the Commercial Pistols that came in to the U.S. in the early, and mid 90's before their import was banned. These are the ones with the adjustable rear sights. They also came in .380, and Satin Nickel as I have one. The Bulgarians also released some commercial models in the 90's, but most of the Bulgies are Military, as are the E.G's (military and police). The best value is the Bulgie, and the best finished is the EG.
Old February 10, 2018, 01:56 PM   #30
JJ45

bolo...I actually got my second EG from a local gun dealer who thought it was a Bulgarian

I agree with Pilot...my EGs are both 60s marked and are stock military. The Bulgarians that I have are also military surplus....there is nothing wrong with the commercial Maks, AFAIK. I never owned one but have handled quite a few.

The adjustable sights on the commercial Russians may be adjustable but are no easier to see than the military issue sights as they are about the same size.
Old February 10, 2018, 02:22 PM   #31
JJ45

Man I'm getting old as this thread is getting nostalgic.

Some might remember that the surplus Makarovs came in that plain white box that included a leather military flap holster with an integral spare mag pouch. A slotted, blued steel cleaning rod that also did duty as an extractor removal tool and screw driver for the grip screw. Some of these holsters had a draw assist strap and loops for the cleaning rod. Spare magazine and sometimes a spare grip, maybe with a thumb rest. One of my Bulgarians came with two matching serial numbered mags and appeared unfired!

The holster might have been black, tan, brown and in varied condition...the pistol was usually in heavy cosmoline wrapped in wax paper and you never quite knew what you would get. This is how I got the EG mistaken for a Bulgarian. The dealer chose not to clean the cosmoline off the pistol (I don't blame him Also, sometimes the cleaning rod was missing.

The first EG cost me about $125 shipped from SOG, I bought on my C&R license. I remember, around the same time, AIM had a closeout on East Germans for $99! But for a long while after this the going price for a mil surplus Mak seemed to be around $150.
Old February 10, 2018, 02:25 PM   #32
JJ45

OH, and I forgot the leather lanyard was included in the package also But then again, you might have got a grip without a lanyard ring!
Old February 10, 2018, 03:52 PM   #33
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
However, for me it was a CZ PCR. I just always wanted one ever since I first saw it on the CZ forum a couple decades ago. CZs are funny too as they only make small runs of some models once a year and if you don't have cash in hand when they come out, you are SOL until next time they make a run of them. I finally got my PCR a few years back and while I probably overpaid for it, I'm very happy with my purchase. It is all I dreamed it would be. I love this little handgun.
I'm kinda curious what you paid. I bought a CZ PCR a year ago off Gunbroker.com for $548 (plus shipping and transfer fees). They're listed out there now (same dealer, I think) for $559. Those prices are under list, and I'm cool with that.

When I first started looking for a PCR, I couldn't find one either. My local gun shop had a P-01, but they said they had never stocked a PCR. In fact, my regular sales guy (who knows a helluva lot about handguns) said he'd never actually seen one. But then I started browsing Gunbroker, and -- to my knowledge -- they've always had PCRs out there, at least from this one particular source. But I dunno

Anyway, great little gun.
Old February 12, 2018, 07:37 AM   #34
DMK

Quote:
I'm kinda curious what you paid. I bought a CZ PCR a year ago off Gunbroker.com for $548 (plus shipping and transfer fees). They're listed out there now (same dealer, I think) for $559. Those prices are under list, and I'm cool with that.
I paid $610 for mine OTD. (had to look it up)

Kinda high, but the gun is great, so no regrets.

Last edited by DMK; February 13, 2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old February 12, 2018, 12:09 PM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

The EG Maks are generally considered to be the very best of all Maks. Best fit, finish, and trigger pull.

My Dad bought one in the 1990s. I know own it. It's a sweet gun for a Combloc special.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 12, 2018, 12:18 PM   #36
Fishbed77

Quote:
I thought Bulgy & Russian were newly manufactured for export?
The Bulgarian Makarovs currently for sale at places like Classic Firearms/J&G Sales/Aim Surplus are definitely military/police surplus pistols. I received an example for Classic last fall that was dated 1984, but was in like new un-issued condition (there was zero wear on the slide from activation of the safety/decocker).

I think the confusion stems from the fact that these are being imported with black "target" grips to meet silly import laws (though most vendors include the original military bakelite grips in the box with them).
Old February 13, 2018, 11:33 AM   #37
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone322 View Post

When I first started looking for a PCR, I couldn't find one either. My local gun shop had a P-01, but they said they had never stocked a PCR. In fact, my regular sales guy (who knows a helluva lot about handguns) said he'd never actually seen one. But then I started browsing Gunbroker, and -- to my knowledge -- they've always had PCRs out there, at least from this one particular source. But I dunno

Anyway, great little gun.
I bought my PCR new in 2000 for around $350 if memory serves. At the time Sig had just discontinued the P225, and they were priced similarly. I still went with the PCR, and am glad I did.
Old February 13, 2018, 12:23 PM   #38
Ignition Override

mr bolo:

My .380 Russian Makarov appears to have identical components (other than the barrel and rear sight) to my former Bulgys and two EGs I owned.

For me the advantages of the .380 Russian:
1) little collector value, therefore any slight degradation while "carrying" it--easily concealable--is a benefit.

2) Just as fun to shoot.

3) Despite easily finding 9x18 Mak ammo online and in almost every gun shop, the .380 ammo is used in a very wide range of both domestic and imported handguns.
Old February 13, 2018, 09:31 PM   #39
Model12Win

The Polish pistol is not the PA64, but the P64.

You must be thinking of the Hungarian PA63.
Old February 13, 2018, 10:57 PM   #40
pelo801

I have several Maks myself. A couple things to note, there are Bulgy commercial Maks imported by Miltex. There is even a special edition one with a square trigger guard. The fit and finish of the EG maks is always claimed to be far better than the other flavors. Now with the Russian commercial and Bulgy maks I would agree. But my Chinese Mak is right on par with the EG. However the trigger of the EG is far smoother than any of the maks I own. Now the Polish also made the P83 which is stamped but still IMO is a great little pistol. Here is my group of Maks and cousins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (188.8 KB, 26 views)
Old February 14, 2018, 12:25 AM   #41
Ignition Override

pelo801:
Very nice variety you have. I found the larger, almost unknown Polish 9x18 gun--the P-83--to have possibly a better DA pull (slightly heavier but very consistent pressure) than most of my Makarovs.

But the mags in the Polish P-83 will Not interchange with Makarovs.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 14, 2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old February 14, 2018, 02:33 AM   #42
COLTSFORME

No doubt that the East German Mak is the best, and apparently you want one . As long as the purchase will not break the budget look for a clean one at the best price . You won't be sorry .
Old February 14, 2018, 07:28 AM   #43
DMK

Quote:
I bought my PCR new in 2000 for around $350 if memory serves. At the time Sig had just discontinued the P225, and they were priced similarly. I still went with the PCR, and am glad I did.
Keep in mind that accounting for inflation, $350 in 2000 is equivalent to $490 in 2015 when I got mine (not sure when Brownstone got his), but that still was a good deal. I'd also rather have mine than a Sig.

I paid $300 plus transfer and shipping for the full size CZ75B (pictured above) around 2000ish.
Old June 17, 2019, 03:31 PM   #44
krinky74

East German Makarov Magazine identification

How are the magazines marked on E German makarovs?
Old June 17, 2019, 06:36 PM   #45
martin08

This topic needs a Russian example, and not an import from Romania. This 1968 example came from the Middle East.

Old June 17, 2019, 11:41 PM   #46
Ibmikey

My Makarov pistols include a Russian Bakial that I replaced the adjustable rear sight with a high visibility fixed unit. An EG and five or six of the Bulgarian unissued Pistols with maintenance logs so even if destined for military/police they never did any holster service. One of My Bulgarian’s has a polish to rival the EG pistol.
Old June 18, 2019, 06:14 AM   #47
PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Munny View Post
I've got other guns with far better fit, finish, bluing, etc. However for some reason I just really want a EG Mak. Anyone own one that feels the same way? Anyone feel the same way about some other firearm?
What most impressed me about the E.G.Mak was the finish. As good as any Colt or Walther I'd seen or owned. Well worth adding one to any collection.
Old June 18, 2019, 06:23 AM   #48
DMK

Quote:
What most impressed me about the E.G.Mak was the finish. As good as any Colt or Walther I'd seen or owned. Well worth adding one to any collection.
The bluing is nice on the EG Maks. Mine has a purple hammer, but other than that is nicely polished and has a smooth deep bluing. It looks much nicer than my two Walther PPs of the same era.

My Mak feels nice in operation too. The slide just glides on the rails, the safety has a satisfying 'snick', and the trigger is very smooth. Although that DA trigger is very heavy, the SA trigger just snaps nicely.
Old June 18, 2019, 07:59 AM   #49
jar

Usually the EG Maks have an electro-stencil with the serial number. Also they will be humped versions.
Old June 18, 2019, 03:52 PM   #50
JJ45

I have two EGs and two Bulgarians. Also gave my son a Bulgarian....One Bulgarian is a custom Jeff Bezeze, the other MaKs are stock military issue...these were from "back in the day" if you know what I mean

I also accumulated all the rigamarole that went with them back then including the holsters, leather, EG rain pattern and shoulder rigs, mags, grips, etc.

I like the EG and CC one of them as well as the Bulgarians. One EG is just kept in the safe.
I hate to disagree with others but in my experience, except for the exterior finish being finer on the EGs, there isn't a lick of difference between trigger, function, dependability, etc. over the Bulgarians.