The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 28, 2001, 08:45 PM   #1
longship

Ruger PC9 for close in deer?

I know it sounds ridiculous but I was asked and I'm not sure I've got a good argument against it. If you used a ruger PC9 with a +P+ round for small eastern deer at ranges under 100 yds, why wouldn't it be OK? Opinions? Thanks.
Old November 28, 2001, 10:01 PM   #2
ViLLain

In many states, hunting with a firearm that can hold more than five rounds is against the law. There are no five round magazines for the PC9

Nine is also not that impressive when fired from barrel lengths beyond 10 inches, putting the amount of energy at impact into question. There may not be as much energy at 100 yards as you may think.

Gabriel
Old November 29, 2001, 12:16 PM   #3
stephen_g22

It might work, it might be feasible, but is it the "right" thing to do.

I am sure my 9mm pistol will kill a deer, but will it do the job as humanely and quickly with minimal meat damage as a true deer hunting caliber, no.

As a hunter I want to minimize the chances of wounding and losing a deer. I want the animal to drop dead in its tracks or leave a good enough blood trail to find. I want the deer to die quickly to minimize any potential suffering of the animal.

While the 9mm and other pistol cartridges can work, it is not optimum, otherwise there would be more scoped 9mm bolt action rifles on the market.

Just my opinion. I wouldn't try it.
Old November 29, 2001, 11:12 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Stephen has it absolutely correctly. Most pistol cartridges are pipsqueaks when it comes to an ethical kill.

It is generally accepted that the .41 or .44 Maggies are the starting points for serious pistol hunting--again, from the standpoint of the "clean kill".

Another aspect, regardless of the weapon used, is one's own skill. If you can't reliably hit a beer can at 75 yards, say, 8 of ten times, a whole bunch of practice is needed. With a reasonably powerful rifle, that Bad Hit can at least anchor a deer and allow a coup de grace to end the affair. A bad hit with the average self-defense pistol cartridge commonly leads to a lost, but dead, deer.

Ethics. Always ethics.

Art
Old November 30, 2001, 09:06 AM   #5
longship

Thanks for all the input. I had considered the clean kill argument but my bud was really talking about shots inside of 50 yds. All things considered, I'll advise negatively on the issue. Just needed to hear it from some others too. Thanks.
Old November 30, 2001, 12:02 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

as above noted............plus.

+P+ ammo has high peak pressure. The +P+ is not an indication of the effectiveness of the load.

Sam
Old December 1, 2001, 04:42 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

Er, Uh....

I have a 151g TMJ-FP (special expanding FMJ) that would exit your carbine in excess of 1300fps that I would consider adequate for 50-60yd deer shots.
Of course, I believe (not just talk) in shot placement, or why I've never 'busted a handgun cap' on a deer YET.
Old December 5, 2001, 01:43 PM   #8
keano44

The reason it isn't O.K., is that it wouldn't be ethically responsible. Sure the 9mm is cabaple of killing deer, but then so is the .22LR. If it were me, I would not want to have to wonder, the first time I lose a deer after shooting it with this combination, what if I had used enough gun???? Use enough gun!

Again following the argument for ethical responsiblity, don't use too much gun. Many of todays high powered rifles are overkill in the deer woods, especially in the hands of inexperienced shooters. IMOHO
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old December 5, 2001, 04:43 PM   #9

I own a PC9, and have also shot a running wounded deer with a 9mm handgun (I had already put down all my gear and was walking up to start processing it). Based on my experience, I would say no. I don't care if you were shooting deer at 50 feet, I don't think it is an adequate deer cartridge. Yes it will kill a deer with a solid hit. Yes, it might work if you passed up shot after shot until you got a perfect one. Yes, I would do it if I was starving and I didn' t have any other option. But, to purposely set out to hunt with a 9mm I feel is inhumane. Don't send a boy to do a man's job.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.