The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 22, 2017, 12:06 AM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Grease for O/U hinge area

Picked up what I think is a 70's or early 80's vintage Winchester 101 (Jap Mfg) skeet gun.
When I removed barrels the old grease seemed quite dirty with probably powder residue and a general accumulation of crap. Would like to clean it up and re-grease it.
Question - What would be a good grease that will allow low temp. use in winter of about 20 degrees F thru 95 degrees in summer?
Old June 22, 2017, 12:43 AM   #2
Scorch

SuperLube- synthetic grease with Teflon
Militec1- lithium grease with friction reducers
Outers Gun Grease- like bearing grease with paraffin
White lithium grease
Blue marine grease
Take your pick. Use sparingly, apply on the hinge pin.
Old June 22, 2017, 04:22 AM   #3
Blindstitch

Superlube - A little goes a long way.
Old June 22, 2017, 07:17 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

Go to the auto parts store and get a tube of Mobil 1 red grease.

Works great, put some in a small container for range use. Many of the "super" gun lubes are just regular automotive products repackaged and labeled
"for firearms use".
Old June 22, 2017, 08:40 AM   #5
NoSecondBest

White lithium grease will do fine. FWIW, I had one of those guns "back in the day". It was a 101 Pigeon Grade . It was the worst cheek beater I ever owned. I think I kept it a couple of months and had to let it go. I hope you have better luck with it. I was warned by others and didn't believe them.....I should have listened. Something about the stock design. Back before I knew anything about getting a gun that fits. Good luck with it.
Old June 22, 2017, 10:10 AM   #6
FITASC

RIG doesn't migrate and works well; whatever brand, only a small smear is necessary.

Quote:
White lithium grease will do fine. FWIW, I had one of those guns "back in the day". It was a 101 Pigeon Grade . It was the worst cheek beater I ever owned. I think I kept it a couple of months and had to let it go. I hope you have better luck with it. I was warned by others and didn't believe them.....I should have listened. Something about the stock design. Back before I knew anything about getting a gun that fits. Good luck with it.
Have heard this a few hundred times over the last few decades..........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 22, 2017, 07:32 PM   #7
pete2

I use Tetra on mine, it seems to work, I have 3 Citoris, one is a 70s vintage, it's still not loose, one from 07 and one from 16, both tight, be glad when they wear in a little. A little goes a long way.
Old June 22, 2017, 07:59 PM   #8
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Thanks for the suggestions, I have plenty choices of machienry greases around here to choose from, I think I will try some marine grease.

NoSecondBest - Well I wasn't aware of the 101 mule tendencies but after two rounds of skeet last weekend, I'm well aware now & have the shoulder bruisers to prove it. It needs a new recoil pad, that hopefully will help a little. Was shooting with a young lady who had same pad as I do, I asked her the brand name as mine was worn off. She said is that a Winchester 101? I said yes, she replied, "I hear they kick like hell"...
I've shot Rem 1100 for many years, picked up this 101 as I wanted to try something different...perhaps it too will find a new home...soon!
Old June 22, 2017, 09:01 PM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
What would be a good grease that will allow low temp. use in winter of about 20 degrees F...
Wow! Do you really go outside and shoot skeet when it is that cold?!
Old June 22, 2017, 09:28 PM   #10
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Yes...on rare occasion, it's called the Snowball League.
There were days when the 1100's cycled extremely slow!
However I haven't shot that league in years. Perhaps now days with the Global warming effect we may only see a 35 degree day or two.
Old June 25, 2017, 06:45 PM   #11
pete2

Here in Texas it may be 100+ or 25, don't matter on a hinge pin. A pistol slide is a different matter.
Old June 25, 2017, 07:28 PM   #12
Mobuck

"Go to the auto parts store and get a tube of Mobil 1 red grease."
I use a plastic 5cc syringe(no needle) to apply. Pull the plunger out of the tube, fill tube with grease, CAREFULLY start the plunger back into tube, and you're ready to lube guns for a couple of years.
A $5 tube of high quality grease lasts a LIFETIME vs the $5-6 per ounce cost of "gun grease".