The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 13, 2017, 05:40 PM   #1
kawasakifreak77

Okay so fill me in on this new 17 WSM.

I'll start by saying I don't understand these .17 caliber rifles... Its just such a small bullet! But for some reason the 17 WSM has piqued my curiousity.

When I lived in the country, my most used firearm (by far) was a cheapo marlin 22 mag. Full metal jackets wouldn't tear up to much meat on edible game & would kill most varmints very dead. I quite enjoyed it & regularly practiced with it to 200m, sometimes farther on a calm day. It was very accurate & didn't make TO much noise.

I'm wondering if this 17 WSM would be a 22 mag on steriods, or more of a dissapointment?

I saw the Savage rifle chambered for it.... Are they trying to make ugly guns??

I live on Kansas, lots of wind. Which makes me think the 17s would be pretty useless. Shoot, somedays the wind throws my 22-250 all over the place!

So who's used it & what do you think?
Old June 13, 2017, 05:54 PM   #2
mukwah

Haven't used it.... But it's not new. Been around awhile. I think it's used alot for long range varmint hunting. Don't have one but wouldn't mind having one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old June 13, 2017, 07:20 PM   #3
JWT

Know nothing about the 17WSM but do have three .17 HMR rifles - a bolt action CZ, a lever actionHenry, and a Winchester / Miroku single shot. All are darned good shooting guns and amazingly accurate.
Old June 13, 2017, 08:53 PM   #4
Mobuck

17WSM is a rimfire 17 Hornet (+/-).
Old June 13, 2017, 09:57 PM   #5
J.G. Terry

17 WSM-the jury is still out.

How this went for me: This one, the 17WSM, has had a star crossed start. Most everything has gone wrong. The first rifles simply would not shoot for many of us. The rifle and cartridge took a real beating on the net. Later heavy barrelled stainless guns did better. Many would report excellent accuracy and working well on game. Others, were convinced that this cartridge and rifle were the invention of the devil. I like the rifle. I'm still working on getting consistent performance and accuracy in my B-Mag. My trashy old 93B17 will shoot circles around the B-Mag at this point. These 17's are wind sensitive. Another point is about appearance. Go to the Savage Website for what's actually offered. Some of these other ads show the old super ugly sporter which has been history for several years now. Always ask the critic if he has owned or shot one of these rifles. For me, the jury is still out

Last edited by J.G. Terry; June 13, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old June 13, 2017, 10:38 PM   #6
Geezerbiker

I looked at it but went with the .17 Hornady Hornet instead. I'd rather shoot ammo that I can reload... I'm just odd that way.

Tony
Old June 13, 2017, 11:45 PM   #7
Lucas McCain

Ruger made a M77 for it. The ones I have seen shot very well. It has as much energy at 100 yards that the 17hmr has at the muzzle.
The model B savage is a poor excuse for introducing a new cartridge. Winchester offers there new 1885 single shot, but sit down when they tell you the price.
Old June 14, 2017, 10:39 AM   #8
natman

Quote:
17WSM is a rimfire 17 Hornet (+/-).
The 17 WSM fires a 20 grain bullet at 3000 fps. Impressive as that is, a 17 Hornet fires a 20 grain bullet at 3650 fps.

650 fps is a big difference. A 21% increase in velocity is more than +/-.

http://www.hornady.com/store/17-WSM
http://www.hornady.com/store/17_horn...mance-Varmint/
Old June 14, 2017, 10:54 AM   #9
JoeSixpack

The .17 cal's man advantage is range, it's flat shooting due to it's high velocity.
I think it's primarily marketed as a varmint caliber.

Few times I looked at it ammo was a bit pricey and it does not really fit a need for me.

Seeing as they're often sold as varmint rifles rather then sporting rifles.
I have seen some really beautiful wood stocks on them, uh.. that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject
Old June 14, 2017, 12:15 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...17WSM is a rimfire 17 Hornet..." Worse than that. Winchester(currently not making it) took a .27 calibre nail gun blank and stuck a .17 calibre bullet in it. Then called it a Super Magnum.
As mentioned, it's not new. Introduced this cartridge at the 2013 SHOT Show as yet another answer to an unasked question. Starts at $16.49 per 50. Probably not readily, if available at all, in the country.
Old June 14, 2017, 02:38 PM   #11
kawasakifreak77

Oh I didn't kbow it'd been out that long, I'm just now seeing it on the shelves say, past 6 months. Most of 'em bein' about $15 a box, it ain't hardly anymore than 22 mag. I guess thats what piqued my curiousity.

I'm not seeing any fmjs though so I'm guessing it'd be too violent for small game, unless you could cherry pick head shots.
Old June 14, 2017, 03:05 PM   #12
Lohman446

Quote:
I quite enjoyed it & regularly practiced with it to 200m, sometimes farther on a calm day. It was very accurate & didn't make TO much noise.
I feel I am going to be corrected on this statement but if you are looking to do better than that you are looking for something that is not a current production rimfire.