The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 8, 2017, 12:31 PM   #1
cw308

cap screws loose

Could a loose cap screw effect accuracy? Setting on scope didn't change.
Old June 8, 2017, 04:37 PM   #2
DaleA

Just to help you out, so you get somebody to post a real expert analysis about why this certainly COULD happen I'll step up and post my definitive reply:

No. No this could not happen.

This will trigger someone's reply that if the scope was slightly damaged loosening or tightening the cap screw would affect the scopes point of aim. Or they'll point out how some garbage inside of the cap screw was actually turning the scope setting screw when you tightened it and loosened it but since it changed the setting screw the EXACT same amount when you took the cap screw off the setting looked the same and you'd have no idea that it was being changed by loosening and tightening the cap screw.

The firearm world is just too darn plain goofy to say 'never' and 'always'.
Old June 8, 2017, 05:17 PM   #3
Slamfire

I take off the cap screws while zeroing. Since they don't move the crosshairs, whether they are on, or loose, won't make a difference.
Old June 8, 2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Snyper

I think some are confused about what "cap screws" means.
It sounds like at least one is talking about "turret caps".
Old June 8, 2017, 08:17 PM   #5
cw308

Its not the turret cap. I loosened the screw about a year ago when zeroing the cap on a 200 yard zero. Just happen to check the setting screws & both were pretty loose , my click zero was the same. Wondered if a little wiggle would happen causing groups to open up. I guess I'm looking for another excuse.
Old June 9, 2017, 01:43 AM   #6
DaleA

Snyper you are correct. I was mistaken. Sorry about that.
Old June 9, 2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Pahoo

No room for "any" wiggle

Quote:
I think some are confused about what "cap screws" means.
Dale,
The original post can easily be taken a couple of ways. I had to go back and read it again as my initial interpretation did not make sense.

Quote:
Wondered if a little wiggle would happen causing groups to open up.
No question about it as even a little wiggle can really mess up your groups. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old June 10, 2017, 08:21 AM   #8
cw308

Pahoo
My scope zero settings didn't move on the scope, the caps both windage & elevation were both loose but in position. I tighten the screws, will see if groups get a little tighter. Once I zeroed at 200 yards, depending on the temperature the groups were higher or lower, I never changed the scope setting. Only went for grouping. Just happened to remove the turret caps ,when I noticed both were loose. Just another thing to check .
Old June 10, 2017, 09:51 AM   #9
Pahoo

Interesting !!!

Quote:
My scope zero settings didn't move on the scope, the caps both windage & elevation were both loose but in position
Well, looks like I missed it again. Don't run into this problem, very often and the last time I can remember, It was just the elevation adjusting post that was effected. It was on a cheap scope that I was helping a friend with. I knew that it was not an ideal and in the end, it did effect the point of aim. I think that he is still living with it, as is. Normally you will have this happen when you have exceeded the travel range of the adjustment. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old June 10, 2017, 10:35 AM   #10
cw308

Pahoo
Its a Bushnell 6x24x40 $ 300. Scope. The ranges on LI, NY are max. 200 yards. Most of the guys I shoot with have higher end scopes, 500 to 2500 but for once a week shooting at 200 yards my scope serves me well. I will see tomorrow if the groups tighten after tightening the screw.