The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 7, 2017, 09:27 PM   #1
rhmyhand

Muzzleloader Youth Competition

My son shoots an NRA competition call YHEC. One of the events is muzzleloader rifle with open sights. He has performed very well the last 2 years placing at nationals each time. He just moved to the senior division and I want to make sure I am giving him the best opportunity to succeed. They can use a max of 65 grains of powder, he is currently using cheap shot. They shoot distances of 25- 75 yards. We have found that 55 grains groups tighter than 60 grains.

Knowing that this is only for competition and accuracy and not hunting, I would like the forums advice on bullets, bullet weight, powder amount to attempt to achieve the most accurate results. Looking for past experience because the variable with grains of powder, type of bullet, weight of bullet, etc seem limitless.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old June 8, 2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Pahoo

Great program

Quote:
We have found that 55 grains groups tighter than 60 grains.
A lot of folks are not familiar with the YHEC program. I do not know what state you live in but I have coached teams in Iowa and participated in our state's competition. ......

I know what we shoot and will list later after reading more replies to your question. ....

Thank you for your support in YHEC and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 8, 2017, 09:01 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Weigh every bullet and separate the by grain. Find out which one works then and stick to them.