The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 20, 2011, 06:39 PM   #1
avalanche04

stevens double barrel help

hello all im new to this forum, and would like too say hello and ask about an old shotgun i have had since i was a child and it has been in my family for years. so any info anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated, its a stevens model 311 savadge arms corporation chicopeefalls, mass usa. also under the forearmand in the the chamber hinge its stamped L J and the a is circled. can anyone give me any info on this shot gun? its a 20ga what i would like too know what year this gun was made and the value of it. its not in prfect condition but it could use reblued would that drop the value or should i leave it the condition its in? it still fires and im sure i could go hunting with it again like when i was a kid. i just havent hunted with it since i was a kid i now hunt with my browning gold 12 ga 3 1/2. thanks in advance

Last edited by avalanche04; February 21, 2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: not enough info
Old February 20, 2011, 07:21 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings avalanche04, and welcome aboard.

OkieCruffler is the 311 collector around here. Perhaps he'll be along, in a day or two, and can give you some info.
Old February 20, 2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Jake Balam

Also if you put a little more info in your title more people will open it.
Old February 21, 2011, 08:56 PM   #4
avalanche04

Thank you for the info and the welcome abroad, I'm sorry about that this is my first forum and was not sure exactly where to post or what exactly too post and I will be looking forward too hear from him.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Harry Callahan

I have a 12 gauge . As far as dating earlier 311's, here's what I know.

On the underside of the action, right in front of the trigger guard - look for a small oval stamp with two numbers and a letter in it. I literally needed a loupe to read it....

The letter code is:

A = 1949
B = 1950
C = 1951
D = 1952
E = 1953
F = 1954

etc.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old February 26, 2011, 10:00 AM   #6
avalanche04

stevens double barrel

thank you for that info harry, i have looked and there is no marking infront of the trigger gaurd however there is a circle with an A in it. right where it breaks on the left side. other than that there is no other markings except the make and model number and where it was made. i have one more question? was it normal for stevens too put a walnut stock on and a plastic forearm?
Old March 6, 2011, 12:13 PM   #7
OkieCruffler

The numbered dating only goes as far as 1970 after that, well apparently it's anyone's guess. They were made until up to 1989 or so. Everyone I have and have had has had all kinds of various proof marks stamped into them and I've never had any luck finding out what any of them were for. Date of birth doesn't seem to make much difference in value anyway. My favorite is the 1952 that my grandad gave me (of course) but the one I actually use was bought new in 1982, at least if you believe the fella what sold it to me. They came with either wood or plastic not a mix. If I had to guess I'd lay money your's originally had that tenite stock and someone got smart and replaced it with wood. That plastic has a nasty habit of grabbing your cheek and taking along for the recoil ride. Right now I'm seeing 20's in shootable condition go for $250-400. Your's with the mismatched stock would probably be on the lower end, especially if it needs some blueing. I'd advise you to take the old girl out for a nice upland hunt, just keep the steel out of it.