The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Have you ever accidently discharged your handgun?
Yes, I did. 236 29.80%
No, never. 556 70.20%
Voters: 792. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 27, 2009, 08:34 PM   #76
Atomic

Never. I can only remember one ND with a firearm in my life. I was around 12 or 13 and my dad had bought me a used breach loading 20 gauge shotgun. It was loaded and I had the hammer cocked. I was going to release the hammer forward so it would no longer be cocked but my thumb slipped and it released too fast. Of course it was pointed in a safe direction.
Old January 27, 2009, 08:37 PM   #77
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Never. I can only remember one ND with a firearm in my life. I was around 12 or 13 and my dad had bought me a used breach loading 20 gauge shotgun. It was loaded and I had the hammer cocked. I was going to release the hammer forward so it would no longer be cocked but my thumb slipped and it released too fast. Of course it was pointed in a safe direction.
So what you mean is "Yes, once when I was 12 or 13..."
Old January 28, 2009, 01:32 AM   #78
ranburr

I've had two over a 36yr period. If you carry them and train enough, it will eventually happen to just about everyone. The important thing is to have them pointed in safe directions when it happens. My first one happened after cleaning and reloading a smith revolver. My hands were slick with oil and I dropped the revolver. My natural reaction was to catch the revolver. Which I did, unfortuneately, I caught it by the trigger and it went off when I jerked the gun back up. The second time was about ten yrs later. I was dry firing my pistol with an empty chamber and a loaded mag. I sat the pistol down and went to answer the phone. In the mean time, my buddy picked up my pistol, dropped the mag and checked it out. Once he was done messing with it he put the mag back in and chambered a round without thinking about and sat it back down where he found it. I got off the phone, came back into the room and you can probably figure out the rest. I have seen every kind of so-called special-ops, police officers, and gun guru instructors send a round off on occasion when they didn't intend to. It happens.

ranburr
Old January 28, 2009, 10:29 PM   #79
Hawk-i

This is my first post here ... been visiting this site for several weeks though. After reading this thread I joined up just to say THANKS to all who posted their Lessons Learned. I feel reading your testimonies will help me to continue my 40+ yrs of safe shooting. Complacency is a constant enemy.
Old January 28, 2009, 11:25 PM   #80
Mr. James

Once, inside my own home, with a S&W M66. :barf: Idjit. At least I didn't have it pointed at my son or my dog. . . I gave serious thought to abandoning gun ownership altogether, but after my pulse slowed and my hearing returned, I decided to learn from it and press on. By the grace of God, nothing close since.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old January 28, 2009, 11:35 PM   #81
LoneWolf6284

I am by no means a gun expert but i have done a bit of shooting but one night after drinking a little bit i picked up a pistol grip 12 gauge and completely not thinking i shot the damn thing through the floor of the bedroom i was in. Luckily for me i did have the weapon pointed in a safe direction, so nothing was damaged except for some wood and my ego. Although this was a dangerous and potentially devastating situation it definitly taught me 2 very important lessons at the same time. Dont EVER HANDLE A GUN WHEN DRINKING, regardless of experience with weapons and ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF LOADED. If you cant tell, you probably should not be handling a weapon. But lesson learned and i have much more respect now! Hopefully this will be my only ND ever!
Old February 4, 2009, 05:53 AM   #82
Firepower!

25% of us here have AD/ND. It means that there is a compelling amount of need to school us folks to better handle guns. Any suggestions?
Old February 4, 2009, 10:36 AM   #83
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it's a matter of schooling in most situations. It's a matter of complacency. It's the same type of behavior that gets people in trouble in all kinds of situations.

It happens to police officers who have made 5000 traffic stops without incident and so their guard goes down, just a little, and it happens to gun owners who have handled guns safely 1000s of times and so their guard goes down, just a little.

I suspect that there is a significant number that COULD have had a ND but did not simply because the gun actually WAS unloaded and they just got lucky, there's no way of knowing. Even when it happens to us directly we tend to forget or say "Well, it wasn't an accident." when it clearly would have been had the gun been loaded.
Old February 4, 2009, 11:46 AM   #84
cchardwick

Quote:
25% of us here have AD/ND. It means that there is a compelling amount of need to school us folks to better handle guns. Any suggestions?
Wow, this thread scares the crap out of me! It does have a lot of good info though, and we can all learn from others posts. Basically it comes down to this:
  • Drinking and handing a gun
  • Dry firing
  • Worn out weapon

It seems like dry firing is number one on the list and is listed in most postings. I never have dry fired in my life and after reading the posts I never will. Seems it gets your mind used to a 'click' instead of a 'boom' and tricks you into thinking your gun will not go off.

I always buy new guns, not to say that a new gun won't malfunction, but several people have listed defective weapons as a cause.

I used to carry a Glock until I realized that many ADs are caused by having no safety, similar to the revolver that was dropped and 'caught in the air' before it hit the floor, accidently pulling the trigger. Now I will only carry a 1911 type pistol with several safety mechanisms, including a nice large easy to manipulate thumb safety, grip safety, and drop safety.

I've also reloaded several thousands of rounds of ammo and read that if you don't seat the primer deep enough that you can have a slam fire AD when chambering a round. Talk about an AD that you have no control over. I imagine a factory round or especially ammo bought in bulk could potentially have a primer that is not seated deep enough causing a slam fire situation. Now I always point the gun in a safe direction (outside) when chambering a round.

Also another lesson learned, pointing the gun at the floor or at the ceiling is not a safe direction. Someone could be in the basement or in the upstairs bedroom or worse, you could be pointing it at a hidden gas line!

By the way, I've never had an AD but my wife's grandfather shot himself in the foot with a shotgun while pheasant hunting. I guess he did it in front of the whole family who then became very anti-gun because of the incident. Not only does an AD make you think twice, but it has an effect on all of those around you, even though you may not have hurt anyone directly!
Old February 4, 2009, 11:57 AM   #85
Alert

does an unplanned double tap at the range count?
Old February 4, 2009, 12:17 PM   #86
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
does an unplanned double tap at the range count?
Yep, goes under "accidental" instead of negligent but it counts.
Old February 4, 2009, 12:34 PM   #87
Maromero

Quote:
Hammer down on an EMPTY chamber.
Best advice.

Accidental vs. negligent. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Could someone please explain?
Old February 4, 2009, 01:12 PM   #88
NAKing

An accidental discharge is a weapon malfunction. A negligent discharge is a mistake made by the shooter.

I have never had an accidental or negligent discharge. I'm obsessive with double checking everything.
Old February 4, 2009, 02:06 PM   #89
OldMarksman
Staff

I once had a new Smith & Wesson Model 39 fire when chambering a round.

Shortly thereafter, the thing fired three rounds with one pull of the trigger at the range. Turns out to have been caused by sear failure.
Old February 4, 2009, 02:50 PM   #90
Rich Miranda

Quote:
Accidental vs. negligent. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Could someone please explain?
Please, please, please do not start this again. :barf: :barf:
Old February 4, 2009, 03:41 PM   #91
madmo44mag

Once when hunting down a rail road track.
While coon hunting with a 30cal. Ruger blackhawk SA and just cocked the hammer back for a shot and my prey moved.
I quickly moved forward, finger outside the trigger guard, stumbled on a cross tie and in trying to keep my balance somehow squeezed the trigger.
Put a round down the side of my boot but no damage to me.
Needless to say, I was done for the day.
Have never hunted from R/R tracks since then.
Never had a premature discharge from my gun since that day. Can't say that about my weapon though!
Old February 4, 2009, 05:58 PM   #92
ezenbrowntown

Ironically, just this weekend....

I was at the range, shooting my 9mm. I had the gun pointed toward the ground in front of my me and had my hand on the trigger ready to raise up for another shot. I know better, and haven't had an nd in my life.....up to this point. It hit the ground, but I defintely was not planning to shot. I was embarrassed to the say the least, and a bit humbled.
Old February 4, 2009, 07:17 PM   #93
curt.45

seems this guy had a AD

http://www.jg.net/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...919/1002/LOCAL
Old February 4, 2009, 09:56 PM   #94
DieHard06

Quote:
I used to carry a Glock until I realized that many ADs are caused by having no safety, similar to the revolver that was dropped and 'caught in the air' before it hit the floor, accidently pulling the trigger. Now I will only carry a 1911 type pistol with several safety mechanisms, including a nice large easy to manipulate thumb safety, grip safety, and drop safety.
Sorry man, I don't really buy into that. I am just stating my opinion, and I am sure that I am less experienced than you. However, my ND was with a 1911 that had all of those safeties. Afterwards I became more trusting of my Glocks or should I say at least equally trusting. My Glocks have a longer trigger pull before coming to a clean break and then firing. My 1911's trigger only needs pulling a little bit and it fires. I know I am in the minority, but I trust my Glock, which I carry all the time, more than any other gun. Then again, I am also more careful with it as I always keep mine loaded.
Old February 5, 2009, 12:27 AM   #95
Webleymkv

Without going into all the details or getting into a debate of semantics, I'll say that I've had a few unintentional discharges over the course of my life. In each and every case, the bullet went harmlessly into a safe direction with no harm to anyone except the fact that my ears rang.
Old February 5, 2009, 12:42 AM   #96
Alert

Quote:
Yep, goes under "accidental" instead of negligent but it counts.
darn light single action triggers
Old February 5, 2009, 02:08 AM   #97
SW1911CT

ND vs. AD? Stupid nitpicking we're all talking about the same thing here come on...

I shot a gouge out of my entertainment system and it bounced down into the wall space, didn't go out the other side.

I felt like a real a hole that day. I don't think I will ever do that again. Stupidest part was I meant to pull the trigger, I just didn't mean to have one in the pipe!!

Last edited by SW1911CT; February 5, 2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: sp
Old February 5, 2009, 02:16 AM   #98
SW1911CT

Quote:

Quote:
So what you mean is "Yes, once when I was 12 or 13..."
lmao... Glad I wasn't the only one who read that a few times to make sure!
Old February 5, 2009, 02:29 AM   #99
308win

AD's

Today, in the military there is nothing called an accidental discharge only a negligent discharge is referenced when a round is discharged at a non-welcomed time.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:29 AM   #100
JustKev55

Never

I've never discharged any firearm unintentionally. I learned, at an early age, to never treat any rifle, shotgun, revolver or pistol as being empty. I personally check every firearm I handle the minute I pick it up. Always have. And I intend to continue that habit. Will I never have an accidental/unintentional discharge of a firearm? I pray that I won't but know that it can happen to every person out there who handles a firearm. Keep that muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times ladies and gents, and I say this as a reminder only. Keep it safe and live to play another day.

Tags
accidental discharge , negligent discharge