The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 28, 2008, 11:08 PM   #1
ChristopherG

new dog, time for some hare-y fun!

I just got a four month old beagle girl. She's a purebred. she came with a 5 generation pedigree and she has some real good champion descendants in her line. on sale at the dang pet store for black friday! I have begun training her and by next summer she is going to be an amazing hunting dog! I hope.. this is my first time with a hunting dog. I trained my rat terrier to behave well in our home but this is a new undertaking. any tips will help!
Old November 28, 2008, 11:51 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

CG, A 6 month old pup is not capable of having decedents... Just pickin' on your choice of word... Good luck with the pup... How recent is her last working relative up her line? That is what we base our search on in the hog dog shopping. Not that a dog won't work if their parents didn't or there is any guarantee that a dog with working parents is going to work just a better shot at it. I don't know beagles much but I am glad to hear of a work dog getting a crack at a working life.
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 05:00 AM   #3
shortwave

Congrats on your pup! Take her out, find a rabbit(actually see rabbit sitting), take pup over to where rabbit was, set her down and stick her nose where rabbit was sitting. Watch her reaction. If that tail starts an she gets real excited thats a great sign. Make sure you praise her,reasurring her she just did something good. Big key is you know you had a hot scent. Training takes alot of time. Your dog gets out of training what you put into it and should always be enjoyable for you and the dog.Don`t know where your are but watch the heat. Take water for dog when training. I used to carry gal. jug in truck and bottle in hunting coat for in the field. Try to find an area that you know is full of rabbits preferably were foilage is not to high so you can watch her. Make sure she`s not running fox,deer etc. If she ever does start running deer(or anything else other than rabbit) my advise is to get a shock collar. Its the only device I`ve found that has a chance to break them from running un-wanted game. Just make sure to use it sparingly as dogs have different tolerances to pain. Teaching her to come to you when called is mandatory. For the obvious reason`s and for the fact that when hunting you`ll kick rabbits youself and want to call her to put her on trail. I used to start training pups 11/2-2mos.old actually carrying them, kicking rabbits myself and putting pup on trail. Watching your pup usually dictates length of training session. They`re like kids with short attention spans. As dog gets older, she`ll want to hunt 24/7. Remember, if your dogs not doing something you`re wanting it to do its not the dogs fault. Its yours. You`ve just not shown dog what you want done in the way dog understands. It wants to please you. PATIENCE is the key. Hope she turns out well for you. Goodluck!
Old November 29, 2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Creature

Make sure you teach her a good recall command. Beagles will take after a scent and will disappear for days.

Also, beagles are pigs. They will overeat given half a chance.
Old November 29, 2008, 09:38 AM   #5
Creature

I would also consider "chipping" your beagle....the new id microchips are invaluable to the safe return of your dog. Contact your vet for more info.
Old November 29, 2008, 10:03 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

On creatures remark... I remembered to advise you also get a tracking system, either radio only or the new AWESOME Garmin GPS over radio for some great info on your dog when they are out of sight.
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 11:45 AM   #7
ChristopherG

Thank you! Amazingly helpful tips! We're gettin started tomorrow so i'm real excited and hopeful! The place I got her chipped her before she was up for adoption so she does have that
Old November 29, 2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Creature

Then be sure to log on to their website to change her old address to your address. You might even have to call them.

Also, start getting her car trained as early as possible. My beagle wasn't and she about has a conniption when she has to go in the car from sheer excitement...if you know what I mean.

Another thing, beagles suffer terribly from separation anxiety. They tend to howl their heads off...and worse, they tend to chew. Do not allow her to chew on anything buy her chew toys. Get her used to that and being alone as well.
Old November 29, 2008, 12:12 PM   #9
jckeffer

Re: Beagle

Great dog. I've owned several beagle over the years, both "show" bred and "hunting" bred. Didn't seem to matter as the 'show' dog hunted as well or better than the 'hunting' bred. You just can't get it out of a beagle.
Some tips:

Get her accustomed to shooting noises early - best way is to start small (.22 cal) and work up. Even better is to shoot when they are excited chasing a rabbit! Their priorities of scenting, trailing and giving chase far outweight their hearing ;-).

See if ou can't find someone with an experience dog to hunt with - check local clubs.

Keep her fenced in! Beagles are NOT territorial - unless you consider a 3 county area as their territory!

RREALLY, REALLY teach her three commands: Stop, come and stay. They can be one of the most stubborn of dogs.

Don't be afraid to hunt game other than rabbits. They can trail anything you put their nose on. They're great on pheasants. Also groundhogs, bobcats, quail. Since the tend to work in close (as opposed to a larger bird dog) they can be very effective on birds. It's common in the South to use them on deer to flush them out, but if you primarily hunt small game DON'T get them started on deer - discourage it.

The more they hunt the better they get and the happier they are.

Start out hunting where there is a lot of game - peek their interest. But them hunt where there is less game - they need to learn to focus on keeping on a single trail. I've had occasion where there were sooooo many rabbits that the would 'chase' and not trail. It's a self-disciplne thing. Once they learn they can be the most persistent trailers - will trail a bunny until you shoot it or it dies of exhaustion!

Watch their pads (feet). My good dogs would run until they're feet were literally bleeding if I let them.
Old November 29, 2008, 12:35 PM   #10
jckeffer

Where to find bunnies

PS I can tell you where to find bunnies

3 licenses, 1.5 hours - 30 bunnies - Firearms .22 cal rifle/pistol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rabbit live2.JPG (99.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg rabbit under tree2.JPG (162.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg dead rabbits.JPG (97.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by jckeffer; November 29, 2008 at 01:30 PM.