The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2009, 01:55 PM   #26
Slamfire

Quote:
A too heavy,(over 165 grains), combined with the slower burn rate of 4350 and others in pilgrims list, will over drive the gas system and result in the bolt locking lugs damaging the receiver.

Of course powder burn rates affect port pressure of the various gas operated designs. So does bullet weight. Matching bullet weight with a powders burn rate results in good velocity and port pressure. Designs like the M-1 garand have limitations on the burn rate AND the bullet weight. So does the 742, at least in the 30-06 model. The 7400 is a much upgraded, newer version, it can handle heavier loadings

Sooo they bought those "more powerful" shells for their 742's, went hunting. As little as 100 of those 180's in a 742 would beat it to death.

Good analysis, good recommendations. I think the gentleman has a better idea of what to use, and what not to use.

Quote:
So slam, would you purposely choose IMR-4895 to load for 180 grain bullets? Of course not, neither would the ammo factories. You'd opt for something in the slow range of powders to get the max velocity out of the heavier bullet.
I don't load anything heavier than a 175 in my Garands. I use IMR 4895 for reasons other than maximum velocity.

When shooting a Bolt 30-06 1000 yards with 200 SMK's, I used a surplus powder that gave me the highest velocity with outstanding accuracy. I would never use that load in a semiauto, as it would damage the rifle.
Old November 18, 2009, 02:36 PM   #27
jsr76

I have loaded a batch of Rem. pspcl's in 165 gr. with RL-15. I think it will work just fine. Anyhow, dad is the type to just check zero and then shoot 1-2 shots and have his meat every year. He kills very well but doesn't shoot as a hobby like us. Farmed his whole life and never had time. Poor guy, I am trying to get him to enjoy shooting for fun and also buy a bolt gun with a scope just to realize the experience. I will say this though, his 742 has been reliable with anything we've ever stuffed in it, and when he shoots I usually have work ahead!