The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

"holey cow" have you seen these Barnes XPB bullets ???

I'm shopping for different bullets to try in my "modern" muzzleloader ( a new venture for me ) but since I reload, I bought several different sabots to use some of the bullets I already have in stock ( I don't know why they use pistol bullets rather than rifle bullets in a standard 50 cal muzzleloader but ) anyway, I thought I'd add to my 44 offerings by trying a box of 225 gr Barnes XPB 44 mag bullets...

man... the hollow point is a mile deep, & there is an additional tiny hole at the bottom of the hollow cavity... these are supposed to do that dramatic star shaped spread on impact... I'm temped to try them out in my 44 mag as long as I have some... curious if anyone else is shooting this type of bullet, & in what calibers ??? those that have tried them, what do you think of them ??? um... besides costing too much...

not sure yet weather I want to use 44 mag or 45 colt bullets in my muzzleloader yet, but this is the 1st box of XPB's I've opened, they look more impressive than the Gold Dots I like & use in my 44 special...