The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2018, 05:31 PM   #1
nanney1

Cheap, reliable, and accurate?

Does it exist? Cheap would mean under $300 (i.e. the $250 closeouts I see at some websites).

Doesn't have to be a carry size pistol, but something that could go on the nightstand or truck that you could reliably count on to fire.

Accurate meaning at SD distances?

Bonus would be if it is fun to take to the range.
Old February 15, 2018, 05:59 PM   #2
sigarms228

The Smith and Wesson SD9VE comes to mind. Walther Creed and Ruger SR9E too. All three from companies with USA support and warranty service.

https://grabagun.com/smith-wesson-sd...-fs-2mags.html

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/93676

https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-c...l#.WoYQiajwbIU
Old February 15, 2018, 09:34 PM   #3
Mosin44az

Sigarms may have studied this issue, those are all good suggestions.

I can vouch for the SD9 as good quality, with a bad trigger you might want to replace with an Apex Tactical DCAE unit at some point.

I am not a fan of the Ruger SR series, neither my SR 45 nor my SR 40c proved reliable, and I think the trigger linkage is less than robust. Still, others like them and Ruger still provides decent service.

The Creed is interesting, but no personal experience.

I would add that Ruger has a new cheapie, the Security 9, which retails at 300 and has a good-feeling grip. About Glock 19 size and uses the LCP II hammer system.

I have always liked the Bersa Thunder 380, it’s smaller and more of a carry gun, but reliable and once outshot a rental SIG P 232 in my estimation.
Old February 15, 2018, 09:40 PM   #4
Gary Wells

As the gunsmiths say:
Not a problem, pick any 2
Old February 15, 2018, 09:41 PM   #5
hornetguy

My carry pistol is a Taurus PT111 G2. It is the one I used to qualify for my LTC.
It has been flawless for close to 1200 rounds. I've used every common bullet weight for the 9mm, both cheap and pricey ammo.

Ergonomics are almost perfect for me... it just fits.

If you shop, you can find them very close to $200, normally they are about $250.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:54 PM   #6
railroader

I don't have the Creed but I have the Walther PPX which is basicly the same gun internally. It is very reliable, accurate and has a very good trigger. Another inexpensive gun is the Sar B6P that is at CDNN. Sars are very reliable and accurate, $239 plus shipping. https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sarb6...l#.WoZj5edG3IU
Old February 16, 2018, 12:16 AM   #7
GarandTd

Despite all of the Hoopla about Taurus, the pt111 g2 is on my short list. I have a Sarsilmaz K2P 9mm that has been fantastic. I think the CM9 gen2 is it's predecessor, but initial quality on either is great. I would buy another Sarsilmaz without hesitation. The Taurus pt 92 is a budget contender, but pushing the price limit
The Star BM 9mm, I would consider. A Canik if on sale for the right price. A S&W SD9VE would flirt with those prices. I've never fired one, but from the sounds, it would be reliable with a good warranty and practice on a double action trigger pull. I'd like to try one because I like the DA pull of the rm380 and that is usually spoke down on much like the SD9VE trigger.

Edit: I wrote that the CM9 gen 2 is the predecessor to the SAR K2P. It is the other way around. The K2P came first. The CM9 added changeable back straps and streamlined the shape a little bit, but, internally is the same.

Last edited by GarandTd; February 18, 2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old February 16, 2018, 12:24 AM   #8
Water-Man

S&W Shield 9mm. They can be had for $300.00. Great gun.
Old February 16, 2018, 07:16 AM   #9
tallball

There are very nice military surplus and police trade-in pistols available at that price. They are, IMHO, superior to inexpensive new pistols. I've got several recently for around $250: Glock 22, Smith and Wesson 915, Star BM, Beretta PX4... those are extremely nice pistols that were carried often and shot seldom.
Old February 16, 2018, 08:31 AM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
Sure. Just don't be afraid to buy used guns.

I picked up a surplus West German P226 a few months back for cheap that, while not terribly pretty, is accurate, far better made that current-production SIGs, fun to shoot, and reliable. It's far better than any new gnu you could get for a similar price. I don't use it as a nightstand or truck gun, but would have no qualms in doing so.
Old February 16, 2018, 09:25 AM   #11
Bartholomew Roberts

AIM has surplus Beretta 92S, S&W M&P 40 and Glock 22 gen4s all under $350 right now. All of those are solid, reliable pistols though probably not pretty anymore.
Old February 16, 2018, 09:27 AM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanney1 View Post
Does it exist? Cheap would mean under $300 (i.e. the $250 closeouts I see at some websites).

Doesn't have to be a carry size pistol, but something that could go on the nightstand or truck that you could reliably count on to fire.

Accurate meaning at SD distances?

Bonus would be if it is fun to take to the range.
Quote:
Ha! Yeah. "Pick any two."

Makarov. Though they aren't near the deal they once were, now that Commie milsurps aren't flooding in.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 16, 2018, 11:37 AM   #13
Snuffy308

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallball View Post
There are very nice military surplus and police trade-in pistols available at that price. They are, IMHO, superior to inexpensive new pistols. I've got several recently for around $250: Glock 22, Smith and Wesson 915, Star BM, Beretta PX4... those are extremely nice pistols that were carried often and shot seldom.
^^^^^
This
Old February 16, 2018, 11:43 AM   #14
Snuffy308

I managed to locate an obviously unissued Glock 22 gen 4 police trade in. Strong factory night sights with three mags. Must have been a purchase overrun. I paid more than 300 for it but significantly less than even what a gen 4 blue label Glock would cost.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:50 AM   #15
peterg7

While I believe the difference between a $600-900. Guns are more about style the difference between a $600.-300. Guns can be a serious issue, the LCP is about the only sub $400. Gun I trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 16, 2018, 12:12 PM   #16
GarandTd

This collection, all in, including xtra mags and holsters was under $600. All three were purchased new in box. All three have been reliable, accurate, inexpensive, and fun to shoot at the range.

I'll have my cake and eat it, too. There are quite a few choices these days that fit that criteria. From the mainstream to the obscure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20180216_120334_182.jpg (178.0 KB, 103 views)
Old February 16, 2018, 12:47 PM   #17
Carl the Floor Walker

For sure there are a lot of guns under $400.00 that are terrific guns.
Old February 16, 2018, 02:40 PM   #18
chaim

I see a few people recommending Taurus. Those who have been around here for a long time and who remember me may know that I used to be a big Taurus defender. I even owned/ran a Taurus "forum" back in the MSN Groups days. So, with that background, I am not a classic Taurus hater (I even still rely on my '90s era 85CH at times) but I would never recommend Taurus to anyone with any other options. Their recent revolvers have a problem with sticking cylinders, and every generation of their polymer pistols has been designed to fix a fetal flaw with the last one until it turns out the current one that supposedly fixed everything has its own (often the same) fetal flaw. I will never trust a Taurus polymer auto again, and I won't trust their revolvers until I stop seeing such fairly consistent reports of frozen cylinders. The only Taurus I'd consider right now is the older P92 design (I assume they are still making it, I haven't looked), or a 1911, though with the prices of Berettas right now and RIA I'd get a Beretta 92 or a RIA 1911 first. Both are over $300.

If you can still find a 1st gen S&W M&P or M&Pc they were going around $300 for the last closeouts. I love my S&W M&P40c, great gun. Reliable, small concealable gun (nearly a perfect carry size) that is still accurate and relatively comfortable to shoot.

The S&W SD9VE and SD40VE are probably your best bets for cheap, reliable, and accurate while remaining in the $300 range. Most people don't like the trigger, but with that criteria something has to give (and for some extra money, you can fix the trigger).

I personally haven't had good luck with Ruger autos, but most seem to love them. None of their offerings are particularly expensive right now, and they have a few options in the $300 range.

I 2nd the Bersa suggestion. I had a Bersa Thunder .380 which was a great gun and they can still be had OTD for under $300. I think you can get some of their 9mms and .40s for under $300 but I haven't really looked.

As others have said, used can be a good way to go in that range. It may not be as consistent as saying you can definitely get X or Y at that price, but you will find some nice used deals from time to time.

If it was my money, and I only had $300, and I had to buy now (i.e. no waiting for the right deal), I'd probably get the S&W SD40VE if a quick scan of the used market or for a 1st gen M&P/M&Pc didn't turn up anything promising.
Old February 16, 2018, 04:25 PM   #19
bassJAM1

How cheap do you need? Those that have owned a Hipoint like myself know that they are cheap, reliable, and accurate. I leave it in my garage for home defense for those 3 reasons, because I don’t want to expose a nicer gun to the constant temperature and humidity swings out there. I even think they’re fun to take to the range, I enjoy showing off my $120 gun because it’ll shoot with just about any polymer pistol out there.

But there are nicer and more ergonomic options out there that are closer to the $300 mark. The S&W SD9ve that has been mentioned comes to mind. I’ve seen some Shields go for the sub $300 range. Of course either LCP are pretty good guns, although they are TINY if you don’t necessarily need something to conceal. There’s a lot of sub $300 Taurus’ around me, I personally try to avoid them but there’s plenty of people out there that like them. SCCY seems to have a decent reputation as well, I think they go for the $200-250 range new.

If it was me, and if you aren’t interested in a super cheap a Hipoint, I’d cruise the used market for anything from Ruger, S&W, and Springfield and wait until you come across a good deal. They have a lot of different models out there, but just about all of them are reliable and even the old P series Rugers will be accurate enough for self defense.
Old February 16, 2018, 04:43 PM   #20
Terminatorret

Inexpensive? Accurate? Dependable?
9x18...I have acquired P64's, Bulgarian Makarovs, CZ-82 and CZ-83 within the past 3 years for $300 or less. All of them fall well within your stated criteria.
Old February 16, 2018, 06:11 PM   #21
DanPop

Despite some Taurus haters, my PT111 has 6,000 rounds through it with not one hiccup, Brownells has them right now for 189 shipped, using an online code. Another great, great budget gun is the Sarsilmaz K2P, I own one and love it. Again never a problem in about 2,000 rounds. There is a newer version of K2P called the C6M, hearing good thing, CDNN has both for around 250. Bottom line is you don't have to stick with THE BIG Names, there are alot of great guns out there that are affordable. That being said I will say one big name at a decent price is a S&W Shield.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old February 18, 2018, 02:11 AM   #22
hemiram

New, there are always cheap GOOD guns out there. On gun.deals right now, there is a killer deal on a Tanfoglio Witness polymer 9MM. I would be all over it if it wasn't FDE, which I really hate:

https://gun.deals/product/eaa-tanfog...-sg3459-999-sh

There are deals on .40 XD's there too, along with many more. If you scroll down on the main page, you can see deals on a lot of very nice guns. IMHO, the killer deal today is for the SAR CM9 G2, kind of a budget CZ P-07 clone. I have one, and it's just a great gun, and for $259 an insane bargain, too. IMHO, this is a much better gun than the XD is for about $100 less.

https://gun.deals/product/sar-arms-cm9-gen2-9mm-25999
Old February 18, 2018, 10:31 AM   #23
David Ozlo

Aim Surplus and CDNN have new and used guns everyday that are under $300.00 that I would use to protect my life without question.
Old February 18, 2018, 04:23 PM   #24
tallball

^^^

What he said. I have gotten excellent pistols from both companies. There is nothing wrong with the cheap S&W's and similar pistols, but they are simply not the same quality as the Berettas and Glocks and so forth that major countries and cities purchased to arm their militaries and police departments with. I have purchased literally dozens of them. They range from not shot very much to unissued. The holster wear is irrelevant. My best purchase was a Berretta PX4 for $173. The most I have ever paid was $330 for an excellent Tanfoglio TA90. If someone wants a very good pistol for cheap, I always point them to AIM or CDI Sales on Gunbroker.
Old February 18, 2018, 04:33 PM   #25
moosemike

S&W SD9VE