The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 20, 2001, 02:38 AM   #1
vega

Extractor replaced...

and I noticed that the firing pin mark is off centered. Still have some of my old brass with firing pin and I compared them with my recent used brass and its definitely off centered.

Does this has something to do with the extractor being too tight? Should I lessen the tension? There's nothing wrong with the gun when I shoot it. I just dont feel good about it.

vega
Old June 20, 2001, 05:58 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Vega, no. Normally this means the barrel is out of alignment. Once the round is chambered and the slide is in battery the extractor isn't going to be able to push it. George
Old June 21, 2001, 03:01 PM   #3
vega

Is it possible that the barrel would be misaligned after 800 rounds?

TIA
vega
Old June 21, 2001, 08:17 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

If that extractor is pushing the case off center, there is something very wrong with the barrel or the lockup. Maybe with a resized case and just the primer you can mark the case and determine which way the indent is off center.

It could be that the extractor is not allowing the case to come up all the way and the gun is firing while slightly out of battery, which can happen. You can check this easily by watching to see if the slide closes all the way.

Jim
Old June 25, 2001, 05:14 PM   #5
vega

Jim,
The slide closes all the way, closer inspection showed that the extractor is too tight. The casing doesn't go all the way up. Would a few hundred rounds loosen up the extractor? Is this bad for the gun? I dont want to thinker with this, I've done this before and I broke the extractor. I don't know just how much pressure must be applied.

Thanks,
vega
Old June 25, 2001, 05:29 PM   #6
Ed Brunner

I have never done this, but

could you remove the extractor and fire a round? That way you could eliminate the extractor as the cause of the problem.

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed
Old June 26, 2001, 07:25 AM   #7
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Vega, I don't think 800 rounds would change anything from the original fit. If the extractor was keeping the rounds from sliding all the way up you'd have feeding jams; the slide wouldn't go all the way into battery. How far off center is the pin strike? George
Old June 26, 2001, 08:02 AM   #8
Jim V

Is the pistol (I assume it is a pistol we are talking about) a 1911/A1? With a 1911 off center firingpin strikes indicate that the barrel has either a too long or too short link. Normally too long. Brownells sells a insert to correct that problem if it really worries you but it must be installed by a gunsmith to do it correctly.

I can not see how the tight extractor, if on a 1911, could cause the problem of off center FP strikes. Have you tried adjusting the extractor so the cases are held correctly. On a 1911 the case should be held tightly enough so that it will not fall out from under the extractor but not so tightly that it takes real effort to slide the case in place. Testing is done with the slide off the frame, btw.

VWP YMMV NWEI LS/MFT
Old June 27, 2001, 03:36 PM   #9
vega

George - About 0.3mm. It may be insignificant to others but I feel bad about it. I fired 15 rounds after I replaced the extractor to test it. 5 rounds each test. The last round would be extracted from the barrel but not ejected from the pistol. It remained on top of the mag. I didn't experience any FTF.

Jim - The pistol is a 1911 in 9mm. hi-cap. I don't think it's the link as I didn't have this problem before I change the extractor. I removed the slide and inserted a casing and it was not as light as the first extractor but not with much effort as you said.

Anyways, I'll be going to the range this weekend and check with a resized case. After that I'll try Ed's suggestion. I'll give you feedback next week.

vega
Old June 27, 2001, 04:30 PM   #10
JMBrowning

Two things. Thing a: Remove the slide from the pistol.Slide a loaded round up under the extractor from below.If the tension's right, the round will stay in place regardless of how vigorously you turn the slide,but if you move the round downwards from center about 1/10",it should drop off.Adjust tension by removing extractor,reversing it in the slide's extractor hole,and pressing sideways one way or the other.If you've broken an extractor,you're either awfully ham-handed or had an inferior extractor.

Thing b: Put the extractor back into the slide and install the firing-pin stop.The nose of the extractor should not protrude beyond the barrel-stop "shelf" of the breechface directly above the extractor hole.If it does,it's hitting against the rear face of the barrel.Sounds to me like this could be your problem,if the barrel has about .012" of side-to side slop in it. All you gotta do is lightly file the forward face of the extractor back to provide clearance,and polish off the file marks.

To tell you the truth,guy,the firing pin hitting .012" off center is perfectly OK and will cause no problems.
Old June 28, 2001, 12:59 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

oOOPS.

OOOPS. Somehow the message I thought I was responding to and the message I actually responded to weren't the same.

Sorry, guys.
Old June 29, 2001, 09:50 AM   #12
vega

Can't wait til Sunday so I made a quick trip to my garage. A resized case with primer confirms that the indent is high. That means that the extractor is tight, right??? Ok, I think I'm brave enough this time to adjust my extractor (again).

JMB - The extractor does not protude beyond the barrel stop. So it's "thing a".

I'll keep you posted after I adjust my extractor. Thanks for your help.

vega
Old July 2, 2001, 07:03 PM   #13
vega

Well, went to the range last Sunday and I experienced some FTE. Went to my smith yesterday and he adjusted it a little more. I tried 10 rounds without failure. If I could squeeze some time this afternoon I'd go to the range and feed it about 200 rounds.

vega:
Old July 4, 2001, 02:09 AM   #14
vega

Well a little pull and a trip to the range settles it. I put 100 rounds and it extracted all rounds. But its still off center. Guess I'll have to live with it.

Thanks everyone.

vega
Old July 4, 2001, 06:56 AM   #15
Jim V

Vega, bullseye shooters have put up with off center firing pin hits for years. As long as it goes band and the case comes out, you should be ok.
Old July 4, 2001, 04:25 PM   #16
JMBrowning

Jim's right-it'd have to be way over near the edge to be a problem--.012" is nothing...