The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2012, 08:38 AM   #1
2weelz4me

kahr p380 frame

I have a Kahr p380 with approximately 400 rounds through it. while cleaning it the other day, I noticed the polymer frame looked a bit damaged. slightly beat up where the slide meets the frame. I assumed that I put the slide on incorrectly or used to much force to put it back on the frame. I called Kahr, and they said this is perfectly normal, and the metal slide will always win the battle against the polymer frame. They even said this will "wear the gun in" and make it more reliable and accurate over time. I have had about 8-10 FTF's and maybe 4-5 cycling malfuntions. I have 4 semiautos, and I believe this is the nature of the beast. every one has had some malfunctions. I just ordered a Glock G26 and I'm hopeful this will be the first to feed flawlessly. will let you know.
Old October 29, 2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Sixer

Interesting.

I've had my Kahr p380 for a couple years now. Love that little guy! However the first 200 rounds or so were touch and go with a few feeding issues. Now it runs like a champ. I was never a big believer in a "break in" period but I am now.

I guess I need to check my frame now

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old October 29, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3
2weelz4me

Thanks sixer

I'll try and post a pic soon.
Old October 29, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
vyse.04

If you're talking about in the front, that is normal. My CW45 looks fine, but I wouldn't worry anyway because of the metal inserts that the slide rides on.
Old October 29, 2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Dragline45

This happens with not just the P380 but has been reported alot in the PM9's also. Apparently it's normal from what I have heard but I really don't want a gun that is designed to beat itself up. There are plenty of polymer pistols on the market that don't chew frame rails like that, in fact I have never heard of this problem with anything but the polymer Kahrs.
Old October 30, 2012, 05:38 PM   #6
vyse.04

Quote:
There are plenty of polymer pistols on the market that don't chew frame rails like that, in fact I have never heard of this problem with anything but the polymer Kahrs.
The "frame rails" are steel inserts. The shavings reported are pieces of polymer that the slide does not ride on, but does come in contact with. While it doesn't hinder performance, I can see how some people might choose to go another route.
Old October 30, 2012, 07:15 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

After a bad experience with a PM40 I have always said Kahr has the most crap polymer of all the firearm manufactures...No one has corrected me yet.

(Not necessarily a problem for function, but still the least durable)