The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

PB powder... do you use it ??? what do you use it in ???

I use alot of Trailboss ( I like the bulk ) & do alot of custom loading ( out of the box, one off type stuff, often built around old huge orginally black powder cartridges )

my retired builder buddy recommended I try some PB in a couple of my unique cartridges... I don't have any in my powrer library ( which is already pretty extensive )

what else is it good for ??? my understanding, is it's about as bulky as Trailboss, but burns slower... seems like a natural for like my 40-65 ???& maybe a couple others...

so do I need to buy another powder ???
Old November 9, 2011, 05:57 PM   #2
black mamba

Nothing comes close to being as bulky as Trail Boss. It's listed as .2172 cc/grain, while PB is only .1205 cc/grain, or almost twice as dense. Plus it's only very slightly slower, so not a good trade off.
Old November 9, 2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, Magnum Wheel Man. It is a good powder for low pressure heavy 12 & 20 ga. shotgun loads. I don't have books with me, but there are pistol loads listed & I believe Lyman lists reduced cast-bullet loads using it. The PB stands for poris base.
What I have found it is very good for is duplexing with black powder in metallic cartridges. I have been working with 1 to 2 gr. PB next to primer in the .25-25 Stevens case, filling rest up with 22.5 gr. 3FG Swiss. This leaves bore as clean as a straight smokeless load, with no pressure signs. I plan on experimenting with other black powder calibers in the future. Best of luck!
Old November 9, 2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Jim Watson

As said, PB is a shotgun powder with some pistol application.
No sensible application in a rifle caliber unless you want to use it for duplexing like Ideal says. NRA won't let me do that so I have no experience.