The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 26, 2011, 08:32 PM   #1
bigStag

24" vs 28" Barrel in a Lyman

I'm looking at getting a new smokepole(percussion), I've narrowed my choice between the Lyman Deerstalker and Trade Rifle. Like the idea of the 24" Deerstalker and will probably purchase this rifle since these days I'm all about going compact and light. BUT! I love the look of the Trade rifle and what do I give up with those 4"?

So what am I losing if I go with a shorter barrel by 4"? Does it really make that much of a difference? I think velocity loss would be minimal. How about accuracy? From what I've read the longer Great Plains barrel are more accurate. So it would stand to reason that the longer barrel would be better or is it all about twist rate?

Any ideas and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Also, going with 50 cal., any significant reason to look at 54 cal.? Shooting Florida Deer, hogs......and Targets.
Old July 26, 2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Hawg

The GPR is a round ball barrel only. The deer stalker is if I'm not mistaken a 1:48 twist which is ok for both but not the best for either. I had a 50 and it's ok but the 54 is a lot better for hunting and targets know they've been hit with a .54..
Old July 26, 2011, 09:56 PM   #3
mykeal

The question is between the Trade Rifle (28", 1:48, 10.8 lbs) and the Deerstalker (24", 1:48, 10.4 lbs). What does the extra 4" give you?

A slightly longer sight radius, a bit more stability in the round (since the round is in the barrel a bit longer) and a bit more stability in holding on target (due to the heavier weight).

Whether or not some of that matters to you depends on your personal traits, of course, so the only way to really answer the question is to try both.

Or, better yet, buy both.

For the game you mentioned, the .54 would be my preference, although that rifle is going to be a couple ounces lighter than the .50 (all Lyman barrels are 15/16" across the flats, so a .50 is a few ounces heavier than a .54). That matters to perceived recoil and again, the stability in holding on target.

So, I guess maybe you need to buy 4 rifles...
Old July 27, 2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Legionnaire

I recently went through this same decision. I went with a .50 caliber Trade Rifle over the Deerstalker primarily for the classier looks. I bought a flintlock, though, for use during PA's late season. I thought I wanted a 1:48 twist barrel so as to have the option of patched round ball or sabots, and I can share the latter with my 1:28 twist Encore 209x50. Thus far, I've been having such a blast with the patched balls that I really wish I had gone with a .54 caliber Great Plains Rifle with its 1:60 twist barrel and double set triggers. Looks like that one is next on my "to buy" list. I replaced the stock iron sights on the Trade Rifle with Lyman fiber optics for hunting purposes, but the original sights are fine for target shooting, and an elevation-adjustable rear sight is included with the gun.

Oh, and Third Generation Shooting Supply seems to have the best prices on Lyman rifles, and their shipping is only $4.95. I bought my Trade Rifle from them, and shipping was very fast. Check 'em out.

Last edited by Legionnaire; July 27, 2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
The question is between the Trade Rifle (28", 1:48, 10.8 lbs) and the Deerstalker (24", 1:48, 10.4 lbs).
One day maybe I'll quit posting when half asleep but I doubt it.
Old July 27, 2011, 01:03 PM   #6
arcticap

Here's a range report from when marcseatac bought his new .54 "Deerstalker".

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ht=deerstalker
Old July 28, 2011, 08:27 PM   #7
bigStag

Thanks

Thanks for the post, really didn't see a range report. But nice stainless ML. Not sure I'll pay $120+ for it thought.

The prices are far the best I've found.

mykeal

That maybe the decision maker.....

Legionnaire:

I trek up to Tioga county most years for Buck season, after Turkey day. I love flintlocks. Been thinking about going that way instead of percussion. But with the Florida humidity and challenge of getting flints and such decided against it.

Last edited by bigStag; July 28, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old July 28, 2011, 09:33 PM   #8
arcticap

Here's the first part of the Deerstalker range report which then continued on page 2.
Only the photos are missing.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ht=deerstalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcseatac Post #25
Did a little shooting today. Triple Sev FFg (65 grains load) RWS magnum #11 caps.

Shot Buffalo Ball-ets 310 gr, 530 Speer round ball, Hornady Great Plains bullets 390 gr, TC Maxi Hunter 435 gr.

I shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 rounds. Good ignition, all went on the first try only 2 click booms.

The round ball was minute of grapefruit and surprisingly the Buffalo Ball-ets shot equally well no difference. They shot a little low in the target.

The Hornadys for only 65 grains of powder kicked pretty good. They strung vertically a little too wide for me.

The clear winner was TC Maxi Hunters. Shooting at 50 yds I had a 2 1/2 group of 5. So I put a clean target up to get the money shot and I blew it. Still pretty good.

I then took it out 110 yards and hit the box respectably, right where it shot at 50yds elevation wise. For the very first time out I'm real happy. It was very consistant.
Old August 3, 2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Lee McNelly

articap

sight in
mine is in the mail he he

a cabelas 50 cal carbine would like to put a different rear sight on it for out to 110 yrds

using 320 gr conicals or poss something from precision rifle

no scope on rifle yet thought looks good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ul45.jpg (22.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg HawkinCarbineScoped-1.jpg (168.6 KB, 30 views)
Old August 3, 2011, 10:35 PM   #10
arcticap

That's great news and good luck.
Let us know how it works out.