The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1
hometheaterman

What could be going on with this brass?

I have thought about re loading for my 30-06. I've been saving my brass for a while. Today I got some of it out and looked through it. What I noticed is that on the head of it most all of it has the lip kind of shaved down in a spot. This is all factory brass from various manufactures that has only be shot once and that's through my Browning BAR. Is this going to cause malfunctions if I try to re load it? Here are pictures to explain more what is happening.

Not sure if you can tell much from the pictures but they are as good as I could get. The lip isn't cut off there just shaved down. Any idea's what's going on here and if I can still re use these?
Old April 13, 2010, 09:58 PM   #2
mrawesome22

In an auto... it's hard to tell.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Sevens

I would guess that the case head is getting dinged pretty hard by the ejector when your BAR chucks them violently out of the rifle.

I don't think you'll see much trouble in reloading them.
Old April 14, 2010, 12:03 AM   #4
plainsman456

It might be the extractor overideing the rim.I have a 98 mauser that does the same thing.I still use the brass.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:03 AM   #5
ADIDAS69

Seen something similar

It looks like something i have seen from my 300 Win Bolt action. If the case neck isn't machined parallel to the head and secondarily that inaccuracy makes the case too long at that point it can result in the bolt face or extractor damaging the rim. It manifests in several ways this can be one of them. The cases should be perfectly fine to reload just be sure to trim and chamfer. I suggest trimming to a couple thousandths below maximum. If the error continues but doesn't produce a mis-fire or jam you may look at the alignment of your bolt.

Good luck
Old April 14, 2010, 01:23 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
That mark is from the extractor hitting the rim as it snaps over to get a hold of it , every semi auto does it to some extent !
Old April 14, 2010, 02:58 PM   #7
uncyboo

Quote:
That mark is from the extractor hitting the rim as it snaps over to get a hold of it , every semi auto does it to some extent !
Looks like this..^^^ My AR 10 would do that very thing. No problem to reload.
Old April 14, 2010, 08:45 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

I think it's extractor snap-over.

However, ADIDAS69 makes a good point:
Quote:
If the case neck isn't machined parallel to the head and secondarily that inaccuracy makes the case too long at that point
It IS Winchester brass. I have not seen a straight case mouth on Winchester brass in about 10 years. Everything is under trim-to length on one side, and over max length on the other (high side versus low side of the crooked mouth).

Check your case length, and squareness of the mouth.