The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 17, 2009, 11:30 PM   #1
Walther22lr

Armi San Paolo 1860 shooting impression

I was able to take my newly acquired replica 1860 steel frame bp revolver out and shoot it last weekend for the first time.

Only a couple dozen shots fired, but it was really fun! The .454 balls seated well. The CCI no. 11 caps fit tight and none fell off. My canister of 5 year old Pyrodex worked well as did the Wonder Wads. I had no cap jams from fragments and only one cap needed a second hit to fire. Recoil was mild compared to the .45 Colt and .45 acp I was shooting that day.

Clean up went rather quickly too. I knew I would like the detachable barrel feature of the Colt design.

I have no idea of the accuracy for now as the target I was using had been ventilated by other .45 caliber bullets. I was more interested in seeing if it would fire every time!

To all of you who shared advice with me in my previous post on this gun, thanks!!

I have been using Pyrodex since 1978 in my .45 Colt on an occasional basis. Other than black powder (which I have not seen for sale in my area) are there any other bp subs that anyone can recommend?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASP 1860.jpg (170.5 KB, 892 views)
Old April 18, 2009, 01:36 AM   #2
timothy75

Nice gun I'm glad it works for you. Pyrodex P and R are the best subs in my opinion. In case you arent aware you can order real black powder straight to your house from www.grafs.com. Good luck
Old April 18, 2009, 06:10 AM   #3
CaptainCrossman

what powder charge in grains were you using ?
Old April 18, 2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Walther22lr

By weight, it was 20 (twenty) grains of Pyrodex, which from what I have read, is equivalent to 30 (thirty) grains of black powder.

After loading the powder, Wonder Wad and ball, there was still some room between the ball and chamber mouth.
Old April 18, 2009, 02:32 PM   #5
CaptainCrossman

the best accuracy I ever got from a BP CB pistol, was using wads and low charges 15 grains. Very accurate, but not very powerful. It became a bit tedious loading it though- to do it properly, I had to seat each wad, then seat each ball on top of it- like loading the cylinder twice.
Old April 18, 2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Hawg

Nice looking pistol. I use 35 grs. Pyrodex by volume, very accurate.
Old April 18, 2009, 05:04 PM   #7
Walther22lr

Hawg Haggen, I am pretty sure I can easily fit 5 (five) grains more in there. It appeared to have plenty of room after I rammed the ball down on top of the Wonder Wad. My spout only went to 30 (thirty) grains by volume so that is what I used.

CaptainCrossman
, I will have to try that load next time out. Sounds good.
Old April 18, 2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Hawg

You can actually get over 40 grs. of Pyrodex because Pyro will compress more than black. It's possible to fill the chamber and compress the charge enough to seat a ball on top of it but 35 is easy to load with a wad under it with no pre compressing
Old April 18, 2009, 05:30 PM   #9
Walther22lr

I believe the 35 gr load of Pyrodex will work and still have room for the Wonder Wad and ball in my 1860. It does look like it has room for that.

Quote:
You can actually get over 40 grs. of Pyrodex because Pyro will compress more than black.
Using the 40 gr Pyrodex load, does one then switch to an exterior lube on top of the ball and leave out the Wonder wad to get more powder in?