The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2008, 07:45 PM   #1
RevCop

Info of 870 Magnum Special Purpose

I recently purchased a Remington 870 Magnum Special Purpose Shotgun, can anyone tell me what the special purpose is? Also, can I shoot slugs with the mod. choke in? Are there tube extensions available for this gun?
Old November 10, 2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome aboard, RevCop.

You can shoot slugs through a Modified Choke. Chances are a more open choke like Improved Cylinder will give better results.

The Special Purpose here was to sell another shotgun. It worked.

The good news, the 870 is the standard by which all other pumpguns are judged. Tube extensions are available, but you may have to alter the magazine tube first. There's two "Dimples" that need to be removed to make an extension work.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:18 PM   #3
RevCop

Thanks for the info.

Where are the dimples located at exactly and what do you have to do to fix them?
Old November 10, 2008, 11:49 PM   #4
jmr40

It depends on which Special Purpose shotgun you have. Remington set up several versions over the years. Some were set up as waterfowl guns, others as deer hunting or specifically for turkey. I have one of the origional ones that has real walnut with cut checkering, dull finish with 26" barrel. The metal is real parkerizing. At a glance it looks like an Express, but has a much better finish and is more like the Wingmaster. Mine has no dimples in the mag tube and uses the older style of magazine cap. I remember seeing them in the catalogs years ago, but have only seen 1 other exactly like mine.

Remington eventually did away with the parkerizing and went to a matte blue finish and used either Birch or plastic stocks, usually camo. I cannot tell any difference in the newer versions and an Express model. Not that that is a bad thing really.

Any accessories that will fit an 870 should fit the Special purpose as well