The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 7, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Katrina Guy

Legal Question RE: soon coming weapons ban

I really do want to hear Scattergun Bob's take on this one.
Ok, we all know another round is coming up soon regarding "assult weapons", while this isn't maybe a shotgun question I'm asking it in here because I know Scattergun Bob and Big Jim and I don't know anyone in those other forums since I've never been to them.
Here's my question-you purchase a semi auto handgun clip (magazine) to hold say 15 rounds, you at a later date purchase a semi auto handgun that will then be on the 10 round max list, legal to put your 15 round purchased now clip in a future purchased handgun, under said handgun's 10 round max ?
This isn't some food for thought question, I'm thinking of purchasing a couple Glock clips and a Browning Hi Power clip and I presently don't own either of these fine weapons. Perhaps others of you that read this are considering doing the same wondering if the handgun you purchase later with the old clip will be legal.
ALSO, anyone think that a home defense shotgun will be on a ban list-I'm of course refering to the typical short barrel, long magazine tube type.
I saw on the news this evening gun stores selling feared to be on the ban list weapons like hot cakes.

Please, feel free to add your comments on a subject that to some degree touches us all.
Old November 7, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

Here in CT, they AWB never went away...

There are two parts, The "list" & the description.

The "list" is basically a list of all of the guns that some politician deemed "evil"

If it's on the "list", it's banned in CT. If it's not on the list then you have to go through the description which lists all of the "evil" features that make these guns so bad...

BUT....... and here is where CT gets you, even if you have a compliant gun according to the "list" & the description, if you have the parts to make it "evil", even if you do not have the intent, you're in violation!!

Many folks here in CT have had "legal" guns seized because they had the parts to make them "evil".....

I hope the money we send to the NRA is helping fund the lobbyists so that this won't happen like it did under Clinton.....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old November 8, 2008, 01:11 AM   #3
Scattergun Bob

Katrina Guy

Well I don't know if I can be of much help with this for you. By the way I do get beat up frequently by Dave, PAX and the crew over in the Tactics and Training forum, so I do know some other folks. They just don't have the same temperament and humor as our side of the line.

My limited take on this issue is; most bans come in two flavors, as of date bans and retroactive bans.

A "as of date ban" on ammo storage devices would mean a whole new and improved date code system and your mags would probably be grandfathered in.

A "retroactive ban", such as the gun control act of 1968, would make specific ammo storage device contraband, illegal to possess and incapable of being owned period. That would be a bold step, but possible.

What type of ban is coming our way if any is a coin flip, though most of the recent bans have been incremental "as of date bans", they will eventually try to get everything firearms related just a baby step at a time.

As far a scatterguns, YES, semi auto shotguns have always been on the grabbers agenda. I will most likely face the music this time around on my M-1 S90's and Winchester 1400 exp. I think the question is HOW SOON, not IF.

The idea of "evil parts" is a very real possibility and I have no experience with this type procedure. Guess I need to read up on CT law, just to get an idea of what new darkness is lurking.

I really suggest that you tune in to our legal and political forum, you can always ask the moderator to post your question, or asked to be turned on in that forum, they have some very smart cats, throwing some awful big words around, they might have a better handle on this.

Hope this helps, good luck & Be Safe
Old November 8, 2008, 02:06 AM   #4
Katrina Guy

knew I could count on ya'll for woids of wizdom

Thanks Scattergun Bob, assuming for now that the question posted, will higher magazine clips now legal be legal in a handgun purchased after this coming round of bans, can I purchase magazine clips online somewhere direct or does that have to be handled through a gun broker or dealer? And where's a good place online to buy, if you don't have to go through a licensed gun dealer as inbetweeny.
Old November 8, 2008, 02:13 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Mags are a direct purchase item... Only the serial numbered portion of a firearm has to go to a ffl. Many online sources for magazines. Post in the proper section and the folks there will have insight as to best source for particular mags...
Brent
Old November 8, 2008, 02:15 AM   #6
AZ Med18

Several website sell magazine for handguns and rifles. I like 2 different websites.

www.cheaperthandirt.com and http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

You do not need a dealer to buy magazines. FFLs (dealers) are if you buy a gun not accessories for guns.
Old November 8, 2008, 05:37 AM   #7
rem870hunter

nothing evil about mags holding more than 15 but there are those out there that say otherwise :barf:. semi auto shotguns are sporting arms. every waterfowl hunter i've seen has 1. could be an auto 5,1100 1187, charles daly. so what if it can use a 7 or 8 or even a 10 shot mag extension. nothing wrong with it. our september goose season you can load up to 7 shells in your shotgun, just be sure to use non toxic shot though.
Old November 8, 2008, 07:02 AM   #8
Scattergun Bob

rem870hunter

I understand your points, your statements are correct sir, however, the folks who will now call the tune we dance to, believe it is time for a change for change's sake, and will not be dissuaded from their task by meer facts and logic.

In a way I am glad that I am at back end of my life, I am not sure I have the strength of will or stomach to live a life time in the brave new world that awaits us.

My crusty old senior Chief said "never quite, never stop, never surrender, it only pays to WIN". good words to remember in these HARD times.

Good Luck & Stay Safe
Old November 10, 2008, 04:56 PM   #9
BigJimP

I have to tell you I'm not overly concerned about the politicial climate - in fact I'm pretty optomistic right now - but we all need to stay on top of what our representatives are up to / and voice our concerns on any number of issues.

ScattergunBob layed out the pros and cons. In general, buying magazines from a company like Brownells is fine. Brownells carries factory mags for Glock / but I don't know what they carry for the Hi-Power.

For any double stack guns, like the Sig 226, I run factory mags in all of them. For my 1911's, I rely on Wilson Combat mags. There are a lot of issues on mags / gun types single stack (like a 1911 ) vs a double stack like most of the Glocks or a Sig 226 model. I can't say I've ever felt "out gunned" with a 1911 in my hand, with one or two extra mags on my belt - but ScattergunBob and a lot of others on the forum have way more tactical experience and training than I do, so I'll defer to them.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:27 PM   #10
Katrina Guy

I'm not so optomistic

I don't feel outgunned with my 1911 neither, only I have been considering in the future sometime of getting a Glock maybe and I'd like of course to have a higher magazine capacity if I obtained one down the road. I followed someone's link to cheaperthendirt.com and looks like they have factory Glock magazines so unless I receive negative feedback regarding that outfit I guess I'll go with them, unless you Jim or Scattergun work for a gun store, then I'd just assume purchase from ya'll.

Regarding the policital climate, all it would take to usher in some sweeping bans (not that anything else is needed since we have a liberal Democrat in the oval office and democrats in both houses) would be some nut case shooting up another campus or something, you know as well as I know that Congress seems to sometimes react in a knee jerk reaction to news. Anywho, I'm not waiting, plan on picking up a few items just in case.

I hope you are correct and I'm wrong on this Big Jim!
Old November 10, 2008, 06:58 PM   #11
BigJimP

I hope you are too KatrinaGuy - but I don't know ...I'm just hoping. Neither ScattergunBob nor I work for a gun store ...sorry man ...and I have not purchased anything from cheaper than dirt - but I've been a long term Brownells customer / and I've never had a problem with them.

I've tried to like Glocks, but I just can't get close to them / especially the feel of the triggers. For what its worth, I think Sig makes some of the best double stack weapons out there ( particularly the model 226 - in a full size ) in either a 9mm or .40 are very good guns, in my opinion ( I have one of each in all stainless which is an older model). The Sig X-Five is a very high quality weapon in 9mm or .40 / its more of a match weapon / but with 14 rounds of .40 in a mag or 19 rounds in a 9mm mag it will fit your bill. Its a great gun. I've attached a couple of photos / I'm really a 1911 guy - but I do like all 3 of these Sig's especially.

SIG X-Five .40 S&W.jpg

Attachment 38071

Last edited by BigJimP; July 24, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:59 PM   #12
Mannlicher

One can never be paranoid enough to cover all the bases.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 10, 2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Katrina Guy

Those Sigs look nice!

I looked at Sigs along with everything else on the menu back then and I settled on my Colt 1911, actually only two semi autos in the full size category I felt comfortable with due to my small hands, the 1911's and the Browning Hi Power (which I just loved holding and pointing), settled for the big bore obviously.
I'll try that outfit you recommended, surely want to get a Browning Hi Power 13 round clip or two just in case I go with a Hi Power down the road.
Presently I'm web surfing for more info on the Ruger mini 14 and an SKS, again, just to have while the having is available. Here's one Jim, mini 14's from all I've read on the web forums seem to come with a five or so round magazine and Ruger won't sell to the public a larger capacity magazine and the after market's don't feed correctly (all of this from web forums), yet Ruger just recently introduced a new (and I'm sure improved-company's always do a new and improved) mini 14 that comes with two 20 round magazines. Kind of goes against the Bill Ruger company grain huh. I'm sure that model isn't the one for $650. at Academy Sporting Goods however.
UH OH, better say something about shotguns in here or we might get fussed at, ugh...SO Big Jim, how 'bout those new slugs, kicks arse huh bud *chuckle*
Old November 10, 2008, 07:27 PM   #14
BigJimP

Or just send me a private message.

Yes we should take any further discussion off the forum probably.

Take care man..