The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 17, 2005, 04:10 PM   #51
Para Bellum

I have a reason to practice shooting at a person

Bob, I used to think like you, but:

two months ago my business-partner was stabbed in the head by a schizoid-paranoid maniac until the knife broke. We are business-lawyers. No crime, no divorce files ever reach our firm. We never even dreamed of violence in our downtown business law firm.

The maniac wanted to become our client so that we could help him against all the people threatening him (schizoid-paranoid). We turned him down four times. The fifth time he came with his knife...

Strangely enough I (20yrs martial arts, ccp 9x19mm etc) happened to be 500km away that day. 364 days a year I would have been in the same room at the time the attach happened.

The maniac now faces a trial for attempted murder. They also could find him insane, send him to the puzzle factory instead of jail and let him loose after 3 years, when the find him "healed". Than he might well come again.

Until that day I considered my pistols and my unarmed self-defense-training a sport. Now I realized, that I might depend on it. As might my family and employees.

Last edited by Para Bellum; January 19, 2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old January 17, 2005, 04:35 PM   #52
Bob Thompson

Para, I agree with all you have said and yes with all the other shooting skills I have acquired I still practice defensive shooting very much. Right now its indoors at the range, due to weather, and close range using double taps and small targets to increase skill level. I would certainly like to see the world in a different mode concerning threat levels but thats not happening. It seems as though its only getting worse. I concealed carry almost always and am ready for the worst case senario but hope it never comes. You are right, stay alert, stay focused and practice, practice, practice. Bob
Old January 17, 2005, 05:03 PM   #53
Ninjato

Wow did this thread morph

The ranges I go to are 25yrds. I don't know what my guns can do beyond 25yds at this time and even more, I don't know my capabilities beyond 25yds. I want to find out. Sometimes it's just plain curiosity that drives us to shoot farther.

An analogy for this would be Tae Kwon Do. The kicks in TDK are taught to kick high. Theoretically. good skill in TKD is when you can kick a person's head in the same time it takes a person to throw a punch. This does not mean that in a real self defense situations, I would be kicking at anyone's head....knees more likely. Anyways, because I can kick at head level and deliver a full power blow, anything lower than that is easier, faster, and even more powerful. So I take it this philosophy to shooting. If I can keep tight groups farther out, anything closer will be easier, faster and more effective.

I employed this same plan of attack when I used to shoot pool (9-ball). My friend had a pool table and purposefully made the pockets tighter than standard tournament widths. We would practice for weeks on this table. When we went out to play for money, it was like pushing balls into a gulley.
S&W 686-4 7shot 6"
S&W Walther PPKS Gold Premier .380
Old January 17, 2005, 06:35 PM   #54
Handy

Excellent analogy, Ninjato.