The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Dashunde

Accepting a USPS MO and shipping a pistol?

I simply cash the MO at any USPS.
Then ship the handgun via UPS Next Day Air to the buyers FFL...cost is around $50-60.
Correct?
Old January 27, 2013, 01:08 AM   #2
shootniron

Correct.

Just make sure that his FFL will accept a firearm from a non-FFL.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:16 AM   #3
9mm

I don't think you can ship a handgun to FFL without using an FFL. My LGS says they got a handgun in from someone without FFL, and they wont transfer it because it came from non FFL.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447348
see here
Old January 27, 2013, 01:21 AM   #4
shootniron

Quote:
I don't think you can ship a handgun to FFL without using an FFL. My LGS says they got a handgun in from someone without FFL, and they wont transfer it because it came from non FFL. I do not know~.
It is legal, however it is up to the receiving FFL as to whether or not he will accept it. Even though it is legal, a non-FFL cannot ship a handgun for the purpose of selling the handgun, through USPS...so it would have to be shipped using a common carrier such as UPS.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:41 AM   #5
CrossIL

I don't think the post office cashes the money order. At least mine won't, I had to use my bank.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:50 AM   #6
AH.74

Quote:
My LGS says they got a handgun in from someone without FFL, and they wont transfer it because it came from non FFL.
I started dealing with a new private FFL holder last year. He said he sends a package of instructions to private sellers who will be sending him a gun, and sometimes they fail to do what he asks, which includes sending a copy of their state ID for recording purposes. That will hold things up as he has to request it again. It could have been something like that, otherwise it is just up to the particular FFL to determine their own policy.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:52 AM   #7
AH.74

Quote:
I don't think the post office cashes the money order. At least mine won't, I had to use my bank.
Could just be that they didn't have enough cash on hand. I've never had a PO refuse to do so for small amounts, but with larger amounts I just deposit it as I would a check.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Alabama Shooter

I do not advise using anything other than USPS orders. Even if they won't cash it they can verify it is real. There is way too much bad paper floating around out there these days.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:53 AM   #9
shootniron

Quote:
Most of them will cash the MO. It will depend on whether they have the money in the till...smaller offices generally have very small amounts of cash.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:55 AM   #10
shootniron

Quote:
I do not advise using anything other than USPS orders. Even if they won't cash it they can verify it is real. There is way too much bad paper floating around out there these days.
Probably the best advice one can give concerning accepting payments.