The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 23, 2012, 09:17 PM   #1
B.N.Real

Finally-my Virginia ccw license arrived

TOTALLY HAPPY.

52 years into this life and I can finally legally carry a handgun loaded to help me protect my wife and I from street crime.

My Taurus Model 85UL did me very well at the range today (as usual) and she resides in my pocket as I write this.

Just feels good to be totally legal and ready to not be -just a victim-of anyone too lazy to work for a living,who does'nt care what lifelong damage they do to the persons they attack.

I TOTALLY RECOMMEND everyone get their concealed carry license.

TOTALLY WORTH THE HASSLE.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:39 PM   #2
egor20

Congrats B.N. and welcome to the club. Virginia Chapter

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 23, 2012, 09:48 PM   #3
B.N.Real

Thanks egor,feels great,I'll make sure I respect it too.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:59 PM   #4
12GaugeShuggoth

Congrats from another Virginian!

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 23, 2012, 10:01 PM   #5
kinggabby

This Okie would like to say welcome to the CC club.
Old January 23, 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
PSP

Quote:
Finally-my Virginia ccw license arrived

Was it really a hassle? The CCW permit in Virginia is a snap. Try getting one in nextdoor Maryland. Now that was a hassle!!

Congrats, enjoy your right, be thankful you're in a state that recognises the Constitution and be safe.
Old January 24, 2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Vortexyz

I'm happy for you B.N. Welcome to the VA club. I know that wait period seems like years I'm just glad I live in a county that has a relatively easy process.

Was getting yours a hassle? I have heard in NOVA that some anti-gun judges/clerks like to make you wait the max amount of time before approval. In Montgomery county, all I had to do was fill out the form online, print the certificate from my online "concealed carry class," and pay my 15 bucks to the county clerks office. 1 month later they called me to come pick it up.
Old January 24, 2012, 01:54 PM   #8
bumnote

Get it laminated! Virginia has to have one of the cheapest licenses in the country, business cards are printed on better quality paper.
It took one week short of the max. time to get mine in Prince William...and it was $50. $15 in Montgomery Co. ain't bad.
Old January 24, 2012, 02:44 PM   #9
hivoltagefx4

Yes, welcome to the club!
Quote:
Get it laminated! Virginia has to have one of the cheapest licenses in the country, business cards are printed on better quality paper.
This is so true also! I got mine laminated as soon as I got it.
Old January 24, 2012, 02:47 PM   #10
alloy

Congrats!
Old January 24, 2012, 05:17 PM   #11
Erikbal

I know the feeling I just got my NY conceal carry permit back in Sept and just got my first pistol about 2 weeks ago. Its nice to be legal and exercise your right to the 2nd amendment. What's the waiting period there usually? Here it took me about 3.5 months, and I got it in the mail. Mine also cost $120, BUT the NY permits are good for life. I'm 25 and have wanted mine since I was 21 but just got the extra cash together last May. It IS a cool feeling knowing that little card gives you such a privilege. I can get pulled over with a loaded pistol in my pocket and it's legal! Congratulations!
Old January 25, 2012, 12:47 AM   #12
B.N.Real

Thanks everyone for the congrats and I did go get it laminated.

I was pretty shocked it was a piece of computer paper just like out my cheap printer.

That thing has to be on me for five years readable!

Went right down to Wallacemart and got some laminating paper,some new wallet sleeves and a new wallet.

The old wallet was due for a replacement.

And those members in other states are right,it was'nt that much hassle.

Compared to Maryland and other less free states,Virginia is pretty cool about gun ownership.
Old January 25, 2012, 12:54 AM   #13
TheNocturnus

Congratulations are in order. I too have my CCW, a Missouri one. As I tell everyone with a CCW, just remember the responsibility that comes with it and respect the permit.

You are now a representative of the CCW community, be sure to show us in a good light. Also, remember to carry everyday and everywhere you legally can.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 25, 2012, 12:56 AM   #14
kinggabby

Quote:

TOTALLY HAPPY.

52 years into this life and I can finally legally carry a handgun loaded to help me protect my wife and I from street crime.

My Taurus Model 85UL did me very well at the range today (as usual) and she resides in my pocket as I write this.

Just feels good to be totally legal and ready to not be -just a victim-of anyone too lazy to work for a living,who does'nt care what lifelong damage they do to the persons they attack.

I TOTALLY RECOMMEND everyone get their concealed carry license.

What was the total cost for your license ? I am sure it is less than here in Oklahoma .Mine cost me $270 total. $40 for a class, $5 for passport photo, $25 for fingerprints and $200 for a 10 year license.
Old January 25, 2012, 01:04 AM   #15
B.N.Real

Dern,kinggabby,Ill shut up right now.

Concealed carry course was about $65 with cost of small amount of ammo,targets.

The courthouse fee was $50 with a 45 day wait that turned out to be about 37 days.

Just say $120 to get it in my wallet.

And no fingerprints,talking to a judge or other intrusive stuff to deal with.

And Nocturnus,I understand what you are saying.

It's a right but one we have to respect.
Old January 25, 2012, 01:16 AM   #16
egor20

kinggabby

Quote:
What was the total cost for your license ? I am sure it is less than here in Oklahoma .Mine cost me $270 total. $40 for a class, $5 for passport photo, $25 for fingerprints and $200 for a 10 year license.
I think I'll stay in Virgina. $50.00 dollars, no photo or prints, good for 5 years. CC courses are around $75, Legal courses (not necessary for a license) but I take one every year is around $75-100. If you have a DD-214 (Honorable Discharge) that takes care of any classes you need.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 25, 2012, 01:23 AM   #17
chris in va

Congrats!

It's gonna feel weird carrying for a while, like everyone is watching. Give it a couple years and you'll forget it in the bathroom one day.
Old January 25, 2012, 01:24 AM   #18
TheNocturnus

For me, it cost $50 for an 8 Hour laws, safety and qualification course. $100 paid to the sheriff's department for photographs, finger prints and a federal background check.

3 weeks later I picked my certificate up at the police station which I took to the DMV and had my endorsement placed on a non-drivers license for a cost of $12.

Total cost: $162
Total time: 3 weeks and 8 Hours plus months of finally deciding what CCW piece(s) I was ultimately going to carry. Glock 22 and a Ruger LCP.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 25, 2012, 01:30 AM   #19
kinggabby

Quote:
Dern,kinggabby,Ill shut up right now.

Concealed carry course was about $65 with cost of small amount of ammo,targets.

The courthouse fee was $50 with a 45 day wait that turned out to be about 37 days.

Just say $120 to get it in my wallet.

And no fingerprints,talking to a judge or other intrusive stuff to deal with.
I can say it was pretty easy to get. Class was 8 hours of common sense. Where I took it was actually $45 ($40 for the class and $5 for the photo)and the gun and ammo were included in the $40. The $25 and $200 I went to the Sheriffs department and they were super nice .The lady that helped me made sure I had everything filled out right. Here I think they do several background checks. Which I think is a good thing personally. It is a good argument to use against antis seeing how they seem to think if you have a gun you are a criminal.
Old January 25, 2012, 06:45 AM   #20
alloy

Quote:
Compared to Maryland and other less free states,Virginia is pretty cool about gun ownership.
Assuming you moved here from Maryland, have you been able to find convenient ranges in your new area?
Old January 26, 2012, 08:52 AM   #21
ProShooter

Congrats on your new permit!
www.ProactiveShooters.com
Old January 26, 2012, 11:05 AM   #22
MADISON

Virginia Conceal Carry finally here

Virginia Law: 18-2-308
Virginia law states that you must get your CCW within 45 days.
If you don't get it there is a provision where the clerk of court
gives you a temperory license.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:16 PM   #23
vrcmsd40ve

CCW

Applied for CCW a week ago...Could anybody tell me the Pros & Cons if you carry a CCW permit especially if you are travelling to one state to another..for example from VA to DE...I know that DE have a agreement with VA that will honor or accept VA CCW..but how about Maryland..in case MD State Police stop me...Thanks..your advise will appreciated...
Old February 21, 2013, 06:28 PM   #24
overhead

This website can provide some guidance, but I would verify the info myself before I risked fine/arrest/jail.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html
Old February 21, 2013, 07:39 PM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to The Firing Line, vrcmsd40ve!

The link provided by overhead has excellent information, and you can also check here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/ for more information on carry.