The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 13, 2010, 12:48 AM   #1
azyogi

Howell conversion to 45acp for 1858 NMA

Came across these on the Buffalo Arms site. They list them for both Pietta and Uberti. My question is this, can this handle factory ACP loads or is it like the .45lc and have to be downloaded to 'cowboy' strength? [Would post a link if I knew how]
Old June 13, 2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Smokin_Gun

I don't know if Kenny's warrenty changed or not...see if he has it posted. But they said to use Cowboy loads when the name was still R&D, I doubt tht it changed.
If ya buy one and load a standard load I think it would handle it ok. That new Howell is the 5shot 45colt, right?
I have two of the R&D .45Colt for a Rogers&Spencer and a Stainless one in an ROA I'd shoot any 45Colt loads thru(but that's me) Have one Kirst ,38spl gated for a 61 Colt Navy Pietta...the .44's are better to convert...bullet vs chamber and bore wise. I still am lookin' for a Uberti Rem NMA 1858 R&D 6 shot or 5 shot Kirst.
Here's Buffalo Arms link... http://www.buffaloarms.com/
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old June 13, 2010, 09:55 AM   #3
azyogi

Not .45LC it says .45ACP

Thats what got me lusting for a conversion I allready have the dies [my lyman turret press came set up for .45ACP] it's 5 shot so I'm hoping I can use standard loads. There was a thread over on THR about the holy black in .45ACP. When you click on the description at the bottom there's a blurb for cowboy loads if you follow it there's no ACP at the end of that rainbow. .45ACP is fairly low pressure [for smokless] so I wonder hand load or factory for this conversion?.
Old June 23, 2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Tom2

Some of this conversion stuff seems to be getting kind of adventurous to me. LIke, this Italian stuff is proved with a black powder load, in any case. Then you change the cylinder. So the new cylinder might be proved with smokeless to some level, the rest of the gun is still BP proved. Barrel, frame etc. I know most people seem cautious and shoot powderpuff loads in them but I wonder if conversion guns are susceptable to accelerated wear, if not worse, in the hands of someone who is all about power? Or just the smokeless ammo pressure curve effects, even.
Old June 23, 2010, 07:35 PM   #5
azyogi

Good point Tom

I'm not looking to shoot cartridge alot, just enough to keep in practice. One of the draw backs to keeping this type gun for HD is fresh loads. A cartridge conversion gives me the long term storage for a hideout gun [bookcase, truck, bedside, etc.]