The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2010, 08:42 PM   #1
MR4SHOOTIN

newbie reloading question

I want to get started reloading.The main reason is to have more options of bullet types and weights for hunting.Will I be able to get most any bullet to shoot good (moa) out of a given rifle by changing powder, seating depth, etc. or will some bullets just not like a particular rifle?I would be loading for .223,.243,7-08,.308, and want to try barnes tsx,nosler partion/accubond, and sierra gameking.
Old April 12, 2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Dr. Strangelove

1 MOA comes from many different factors, but you should be able to get most any quality bullet to shoot decently.

Yes, different rifles "like" different bullet/powder combinations, 1 MOA from just any random rifle with any random bullet is expecting a bit much.

Part of the fun of loading is trying the various combinations and seeing which your rifle "likes".

Be safe. Have fun!
Old April 12, 2010, 09:44 PM   #3
bobelk99

There will be bullets your rifle will refuse to group to moa.

Some rifles won't do moa regardless. Some will do .40moa.

The fun of reloading is trying to do your best possible.

Stick with mainstream products and you will save time and money.

Use the forums to help you resolve any accuracy issues. Ask the folks what they use for the bullet you are trying. Feedback is a wonderful thing.
Old April 12, 2010, 09:52 PM   #4
MR4SHOOTIN

Thanks for your replies.I may be back with more questions when I get started.I'm deciding which press etc. that I want to go with.The only things I have so far is a good sturdy bench and lots of brass.
Old April 12, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Dave R

FWIW, I have heard that a good process to follow when developing a load is:

1. pick your bullet.

2. Pick your powder.

3. Work up the powder load that is most accurate with that bullet.

4. Try different OALs and see if different seating depth will improve accuracy.

5. Repeat for a different bullet.

Don't vary more than one thing at a time, or you won't know what's causing the improvement or worsening results.

My experience is that some bullets definitely shoot better than others, in my rifles. I haven't tried tons of bullets, but of those I have tried, some are significantly better than others.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:18 AM   #6
MR4SHOOTIN

Thanks Dave, that sounds good to me.I printed your post for later reference.I wonder why there is no accubond available in .223 or .243?
Old April 13, 2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Sevens

When you pick some bullets that are at far ends of the "typical" weight range for that caliber, that's when you are more likely to run in to some bullets that simply WON'T perform in your rifle. It has to do with the rifle's barrel twist rate. Some don't twist enough to stabilize a bullet that is too heavy.

But it's actually not too heavy -- it's more that the bullet is too long, which is necessary when it weighs more.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:36 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Quote:
I wonder why there is no accubond available in .223 or .243?
Bonded bullets are for tough critters. The 223Rem and 243Win were meant for speed and accuracy against light, thin skinned game. Although I do believe Hornady makes a .243" diameter Interbond. Correct me if I'm wrong. And I'm almost positive Nosler makes a .243" bonded bullet.