The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 20, 2002, 09:24 PM   #1
ocabj

Duty belt for non-LEO duty use

I work as a Technical Consultant (IT/IS) for a University. I tend to carry a lot of stuff on my belt all the time, especially at work including things like:

Cellular Phone
PDA (Compaq iPaq)
SureFire 6P light in tactical holster
Leatherman
MP3 player (Apple iPod)
Motorola radio

This is a lot of stuff to have on your belt. I'm always up and about all over campus going to other buildings.

What belts can be adapted for this type of "duty use"? It's important that the belt can take the clips on some of the carrying case holsters for my devices (ie: iPaq, iPod, cell phone, etc). The clips should be able to fit a 2" wide belts...

Anyone else try using duty belts by Safariland and other holster/belt manufacturers for this type of use?
Old July 20, 2002, 10:16 PM   #2
Bruce626

LBE is your only hope

I've worked in IT for over 25 years and can confidently confirm that if you show up at work with really tactical black LBE suspenders and a web ("pistol") belt with Alice clips suspending untold numbers of gizmos, ... you would be totally ignored. Unless of course somebody mistakes you for Batman and asks to borrow your car.
--Bruce.
Old July 22, 2002, 04:33 AM   #3
BVT

Why not just a good set of cargo pants? Try Royal Robbins 5.11's. They were originally designed for climbing, but since the FBI uses them for their "casual" uniform (training, etc.), they're T-A-C-T-I-C-A-L ! ! !

Seriously, several people I know have several pairs each, and love them (I don't have any, so I'm not tactical. Darn.). They even have kneepad pockets, so when you're scrounging around working on network issues, you won't feel like the head nurse.

Check with various online police and EMT suppliers for other cargo/BDU pants. The new Califonia Dept. of Corrections Class B pants are nice. Search "cdc class b pants." They have three (one left two right) zippered cargo pockets in addition to the regular pants pockets.

There are lots of good options short of going with a duty belt.

Another angle would be a Wilderness Tactical Instructor's belt. It's as supportive as a duty belt, but it's not so wide that it will cut into your thighs/hips/back/etc. the way a duty belt can.

http://www.thewilderness.com/Pages/belts.html

Old July 22, 2002, 12:28 PM   #4
Vern Brink

Go Wilderness. Really the only choice. Try the stiffest (I think it's the Combat Shooters Model) or the 5 stitch. I have a couple in 1.5 and 1.75 widths. Great belts and you can get them a couple of colors. If you want to go leather, Galco makes a couple of nice one's although they are a little pricier than the Wilderness belts.

Cabela's also has a trouser similar to the 5-11's that are about 10 bucks less expensive.