The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2020, 08:08 AM   #1
John22

Ruger Charger ... Who else has one?

I had been intending on picking up a Ruger Charger for around maybe three years now. I knew I wanted to set it up with a brace so I started collecting the necessary parts that I might need. Ordered an adapter, bought a brace, a friend gave me a brand new trigger assembly off of his 10/22 because he purchased an upgraded one ... I took it apart and followed a Youtube video on how to slick up a trigger assembly, Someone threw away an old 10 round mag that I brought home and cleaned stuffed it full of rounds and flipped them out with my thumb to check for any visible issues. All this with no Charger or 10/22 in my goodie bag/ toy locker.
Well finally decided to make the move and pick one up. Yes now, when new and used guns are hard to find annywhere because of the covid scare. My LGS is a Ruger major account and happened to have one on the shelf. I paid them on the spot and filled out the paperwork then waited a long 48 hour time period for the background check to clear. Once home I proceeded to put together the goodies robbed the red dot off of my 22/45 and waited for the weekend to give her a whirl.
Why on Gods green earth did I wait so long...
This little gun is a ball to shoot and quite accurate. It chugged along and ate up every ammo I put into it. Yes the 10 rounder worked flawless too.
Here are its first 4 rounds shot at 15 yards to see where the red dot was sighted... I made no changes and started shooting at broken pieces of clay on the 25 yard berm. Perfect right on the money.

After this picture I added a 3/4" riser under the red dot to make it more comfortable to shoot... no more craning my neck.

Major fun factor on this one. I was chasing shotgun shells around on the 25 yard berm too. Loads of fun. Next time out to the range I'll move on over to the 50, 75, and 100 yard ranges. A little quiet time was in order as well. This one is a keeper.

Last edited by John22; August 12, 2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old August 9, 2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Armybrat

Awesome little gun, and thanks for the pictures.

Bought my oldest son a 10/22 On the day he was born in 1968. He still keeps it in mint condition. Bought two for my other sons when they came along in the early 1970s. Fine guns.
The Charger has never been on my want list, but now that I’m finding it more pleasurable to shoot sitting down, that may change. The little bipod arrangement is Growing on me.
Old August 9, 2020, 11:41 AM   #3
Pahoo

Lots of fun to shoot !!!

Quote:
Ordered an adapter, bought a brace, a friend gave me a brand new trigger assembly off of his 10/22 because he purchased an upgraded one
I have owned two and back then, I said the same thing, that it's just a fun gun to shoot. compared to my other 10/22's, I just didn't shoot the chargers all that much so traded them off. Since then, they came out with adapters, braces extended magazines and Binary triggers and have become more versatile. Might I ask what brace and adapter you bought?

I hate to ask this question as it is related to another recent thread.
Is it legal length ??

Be Safe !!!
Old August 9, 2020, 01:41 PM   #4
JJE

Here's mine.

I use mine to shoot the Dot Torture drill. I only have handguns (including one AR9 with iron sights and brace), and the Charger is the only gun I can shoot accurately enough to have a hope of cleaning the Dot Torture drill:

1) PMACA “lightweight” aluminum chassis
2) Phase 5 AL buffer tube
3) KAK Micro Flash Can
4) Volquartsen target hammer
5) Flatline Ops “Soft Stop” bolt buffer
6) Ruger 10/22 smooth trigger shoe
7) Magpul MOE-K pistol grip
8) Nightstrike Diamondback Angled foregrip (looks funky but I use it because it matches my AR9)
9) 4 MOA UltraDot

I was surprised how mediocre the stock Charger trigger was, but the VQ target hammer improved it a lot and wasn't that expensive.

https://i.imgur.com/6XSmbxK.jpg

California Rifle & Pistol Association, SAF and NRA Life Member
Old August 9, 2020, 07:03 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Dump the bipod, use a rest, remove & replace the dot with a scope, load it with CCI SV and here's what you can do at 50y:

BTW, that's 3 shots, not 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger Group.jpg (127.6 KB, 1652 views)
Old August 10, 2020, 05:03 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

Pretty darn nice there TT. That’s as good as my Savage B22 heavy barrel.
Old August 10, 2020, 08:04 AM   #7
9x19

I have a few...

I recently finished putting this together for my 63 years young wife.

She wanted something that was easy on the ears for indoor use, and was not comfortable with the weight of any of my 9mm guns (or their length with a silencer).

So, this is her 'Get Out Of My House' gun... twenty rounds of CCI Velocitor on tap with a Crimson Trace green laser and small red dot (mostly for me, she likes the laser).

Distance down the hall between the door to the Master BR and the front entry is about 50 feet, so that is the max distance this will be employed.

It may not be ideal for anyone else (even me), but she loves it!

Old August 10, 2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Pahoo

Looking Good !!!

Quote:
It may not be ideal for anyone else (even me), but she loves it!
Very nice set-up and how's that laser working out for you. Might I ask the source of that stock? Also what did you thread onto the barrel; Hider or comp??

Thanks for your reply and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 10, 2020, 01:01 PM   #9
9x19

OEM synthetic stock, Copper Custom's brace adapter, SBA3 brace.

Muzzle device is a linear comp (more of a flash can IMO) from Simple Threaded Devices.
Old August 10, 2020, 02:00 PM   #10
9x19

The CT Laser works well... has been holding zero just fine. And the green light is quite visible, even in daylight. It is an easy tap on/tap off using the support-hand thumb.
Old August 10, 2020, 09:18 PM   #11
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I got mine about a year ago and was looking to put a brace on it but got sidetracked with other things--so haven't really done much with it------I'll have to do something about that once the world settles down a bit.
-------Metallica
Old August 11, 2020, 02:12 AM   #12
wmg1299

I bought mine shortly after they were released. I threw on a cheap red dot and fired a few hundred rounds through it with the kids, then pretty much forgot about it. Seeing this post inspired me. I haven't been shooting much recently due to the ammo shortage, but I still have a few thousand rounds of 22 lr and a spare SBM4 that has been lying around my work area for some time. I just ordered a brace adapter, and plan on taking the Charger out to the land as soon as it arrives. If the brace adapters had been available when the Charger was released I probably never would've left it hiding in the closet for so long.
Old August 11, 2020, 08:56 AM   #13
TX Nimrod

I built mine this Spring, Ruger receiver, trigger housing, bolt and barrel I already had on hand, the rest aftermarket. The Kaw Valley linear comp really cut the report down, as long as the bullet was sub-sonic. Shot most ammo okay, but it really liked RP Golden Bullets, go figure. Target shows five shots at 25 yards with the latter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9932FA8A-8C61-495D-813E-808A9B21DC3D.jpeg (585.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpeg E0528065-C309-45D3-AF24-E031F465AAF3.jpeg (175.5 KB, 49 views)
.22LR - .223 - .22-250 - .243 - 6mm REM - .25-20 - .25-35 - .25 BB - .250/3000 - .257 WBY - .260 - .30 M1 - .300 BO - .30 Herrett - .300 Savage - .32 H&R - .303 - .338-06 - .338 WM - .35 REM - .38-55 - .45 LC - .45-70 - .50-70
Old August 11, 2020, 02:40 PM   #14
Apple a Day

I got one when they first came out with the wooden stock. Since then it's been through a bunch of iterations. Currently it has a 4x scope and a pistol tube with a Copper Custom adapter and a suppressor. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds through it or how many pieces I've swapped out playing Tinker Toy. I've gotten way more fun value than I spent on it.
The funny thing is that the only magazine it refuses to work well with is the original 15-rounder.
Old August 11, 2020, 05:46 PM   #15
smee78

TX Nimrod, Is that a crazy Ivan stock setup? I am looking at getting one for my Charger, if so how do you like it?
Old August 12, 2020, 11:59 AM   #16
gunnre

I may be wrong on this......but a charger is by serial # is considered a pistol. Is this now a long rifle?
Old August 12, 2020, 01:27 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

.22 Long Rifle is the cartridge the Charger fires.
Jeepaholic
Old August 12, 2020, 01:29 PM   #18
9x19

Nothing to do with serial number, they are pistols because they were built, marked, and sold as such.

Pistols may become rifles (with 16" (or longer) barrels and stocks added), or they can remain pistols and have a brace added, such as those pictured in this thread.
Old August 12, 2020, 01:33 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Moved to NFA Guns & Gear because as being discussed this particular Charger is being used as a short-barreled rifle ... with a suppressor, which makes it NFA.
Jeepaholic
Old August 12, 2020, 04:48 PM   #20
smee78

Those look like braces, not stocks to me? Looks like pistols with braces.
Old August 12, 2020, 05:13 PM   #21
John22

Should be moved back to the pistol group... In no way is this a short rifle or NFA item. Picture with Suppressor was removed as it was not mentioned in original post.
Ruger Charger (10"), SBA3 brace, Copper Custom adapter, = pistol and used as such ... Legal length at that as there is no maximum length of barrel allowed for a pistol.

Last edited by John22; August 12, 2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old August 15, 2020, 10:33 PM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

After considerable debate among the moderators, this thread has been moved back to Semi-Automatic Handguns.

As such, discussion must be limited to using it (and other Chargers) as handguns. If the discussion suggests that it is being used primarily or customarily as a rifle, it will either be moved back to NFA Firearms, or just removed from public view.

The reason why this is a sensitive issue should be obvious.
Jeepaholic
Old August 16, 2020, 10:29 AM   #23
John22

Thank You for returning this thread to the Semi-Automatic Handgun forum. These pistols are very accurate reaching out to 50, 75 and 100+ yards. Adding the arm brace and using it properly aids in stabilizing shots to make this a more handy and accurate firearm. The Charger has been great fun on the range at near and far distances. I hope others will give it a try and add their experiences here in this thread about his great pistol.
Old August 16, 2020, 11:26 AM   #24
TX Nimrod

Quote:
TX Nimrod, Is that a crazy Ivan stock setup? I am looking at getting one for my Charger, if so how do you like it?
Sorry for the late reply, hard to follow this thread with all the back-and-forth movement. Yes it’s a Crazy Ivan chassis and I like it a lot! Very well made with several interesting innovations, it really locks the receiver in place but remains easy to remove. Aftermarket parts (shroud, brace and grip) fit like they were designed for the chassis by Ivan himself.

.22LR - .223 - .22-250 - .243 - 6mm REM - .25-20 - .25-35 - .25 BB - .250/3000 - .257 WBY - .260 - .30 M1 - .300 BO - .30 Herrett - .300 Savage - .32 H&R - .303 - .338-06 - .338 WM - .35 REM - .38-55 - .45 LC - .45-70 - .50-70
Old September 1, 2020, 11:13 PM   #25
Tygus.Shooting

Stick with the fixed-barrelled version if you value accuracy!

Like most of the members who posted here, I bought my first-generation Ruger Charger when it first came out, and was duly impressed both by its reliability and accuracy.

Last year, I decided to buy a second Charger, the newer take-down version. I now regret this, since I have never been able to get the take-down model to print groups as small as those from my original fixed-barrelled Charger.

The best groups that the take-down version of gun will do (in its "stock" form) are 1.5 inches at 25 meters, using the ammunition that my unit likes best, which is SK Pistol Match.

I find that very disappointing, since my Smith and Wesson Model 17 will produce groups half that size with match ammunition at the same range.

I've watched every YouTube video and probably read every piece of advice on how to wring more accuracy out of the gun, and I'm still trying to figure out how to proceed, short of swapping out the original parts for aftermarket replacement stuff.

If I don't find a workable solution, I'm seriously considering selling the take-down version off, and keeping the original fixed-barrel Ruger Charger. Maybe I'll start a separate thread and get advice on how to deal with this issue!

I love gun control. It lets me hit what I'm shooting at!

Last edited by Tygus.Shooting; September 1, 2020 at 11:22 PM.