The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 28, 2020, 12:56 PM   #51
dyl

Quote:
Bottom line: Way too much attention is given to the gun itself on the forums. I would rather the ammo get more consideration than the firearm because it has more of a influence in end results than the mid to upper end firearm. Any of the quality level handguns from Walther, Sig, Glock, HK, etc... and a good shooting style will be more than accurate enough.
What firearm calls to you is totally a personal and subjective choice. Just make sure your not chasing a firearm to make up for personal shooting deficiencies.
I still believe that there are some pistols that can't quite pull off 1 hole at 25 yards with 12 rounds for mechanical reasons. Call me crazy.
Old August 28, 2020, 01:10 PM   #52
TunnelRat

Walther PPQ 45 has landed...Range and pictorial review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
I still believe that there are some pistols that can't quite pull off 1 hole at 25 yards with 12 rounds for mechanical reasons. Call me crazy.

I still believe that 2” at 25 yd is more mechanical accuracy than most shooters can manage standing unsupported. Heck what I see most often is far worse than that, and even closer.

I don’t want a mechanically inaccurate pistol. If my pistol will only do 3” at 25 yd as opposed to 1” at 25 yd, I don’t consider it inaccurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 28, 2020, 02:31 PM   #53
Mystro

Everyone is different and some designs lend themself to certain shooting styles and habits better than others. Where I have a issue is when a shooter constantly looks for a new handgun to make up for their bad shooting habits. There are cases of a defective handgun but it’s so rare. As long as you have a quality firearm shooting quality ammo, it will outperform better than most people will shoot. Grip, sight picture, and recoil mitigation are far more important in a follow up shot where gun fighting skills matters the most.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; August 28, 2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old August 28, 2020, 10:15 PM   #54
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro:
Everyone is different and some designs lend themself to certain shooting styles and habits better than others. Where I have a issue is when a shooter constantly looks for a new handgun to make up for their bad shooting habits. There are cases of a defective handgun but it’s so rare. As long as you have a quality firearm shooting quality ammo, it will outperform better than most people will shoot. Grip, sight picture, and recoil mitigation are far more important in a follow up shot where gun fighting skills matters the most.
Agree 100%, the “latest & greatest” guns on the market won’t fix bad technique or a lack of training & practice. I trust things I figure out for myself rather than what I read or what I’m told. We all want to be better shooters and concentrating on the fundamentals is a way to improve regardless of which brand or style of firearm is used.
Old August 28, 2020, 11:11 PM   #55
cslinger

Best necrothread ever.

It’s like a conversation between friends that just happened to pick back up a few years later.
Old August 31, 2020, 02:40 PM   #56
Sodbuster

Yep, good stuff. I missed this the first time around. And I very much like that Emerson, Mystro.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino