The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2020, 07:37 AM   #1
PolarFBear

Herter's Dies???

I have a few Herter's dies. I don't recall how I came into them. Is Herter's still in business? Anyone else have experience with them? The 38/357 sizing die does have a THICK tungsten carbide (T/C) ring. Tried a few sizings on the Lee APP. It finished with the last 1/8th inch, near the base, still slightly bulged. They do "PASS" in the Lyman case checker. Thanks.
Old September 25, 2020, 12:40 PM   #2
JWT

Herters went bankrupt and has been out of business for a number of years. Cabella acquired their brand name and sell a num
ber of things under that brand.
Old September 25, 2020, 12:45 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

A photo would be useful to check out the "bulge". No sizing die does 100% because the shell holder gets in the way.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 25, 2020, 01:27 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Discussed by these guys in 2015. https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=564130
Herter's dies are said to be "economy dies" that neck sized only. That applying to rifle only.
A carbide .38/.357 die that leaves a bulge is probably not set up correctly. Just a guess.
Herter’s went bankrupt in 1977 but, as mentioned, Cabela's owns the name.
Old September 25, 2020, 02:33 PM   #5
scatterbrain

T. O., in the 60's I had a set of Herter dies in 22-250 and 308, both were full resizing dies, not neck sizing. I also owned for a short period of time a Herters Worlds Strongest Press, took two hands to size any size case with it.
Old September 25, 2020, 03:22 PM   #6
PolarFBear

Thaks for the info. I had tried a "search" on the site but got back TO much to sift through.
Old September 25, 2020, 06:11 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarFBear View Post
I have a few Herter's dies. I don't recall how I came into them. Is Herter's still in business? Anyone else have experience with them? The 38/357 sizing die does have a THICK tungsten carbide (T/C) ring. Tried a few sizings on the Lee APP. It finished with the last 1/8th inch, near the base, still slightly bulged. They do "PASS" in the Lyman case checker. Thanks.
Years ago (60's-70's?) I had a set .41 magnum carbide dies from Herters. They sized the cases with the same bulge you describe. At some point I bought a carbide set of dies for the .41 Magnum from another company and that set did not produce the bulge. Back in those days the shooting rags acknowledged the bulge problem with the Herter's carbide dies.