The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2018, 04:35 PM   #1
cw308

Another A H moment

First let me give you some insight on my system . I order powder in 8 pound container an transfer to a 1 poung same powder . I keep a 1 pound jar no lable to dump spent primers need I go further . After sizing an deprime I removed the fired primers from the cup on the rockchucker an dumped them in a full 1 pound jug of IMR 4064 . Time for a system change and I can't stop saying what a A_ _ H _ _ _ I am.
Old June 7, 2018, 04:41 PM   #2
mikld

OOPS! At least you can pick the primers out of the powder...
Old June 7, 2018, 04:53 PM   #3
sako2

An empty plastic coffee container works great for spent primers and cases with split necks. lol
Old June 7, 2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Carmady

Quote:
Time for a system change...
I use a roll of 1" blue painter's tape and a Sharpie/MagicMarker to label that stuff.

Easy to use, easy to remove.
Old June 7, 2018, 05:44 PM   #5
cw308

Carmady
I did , over the cap I had blue masking tape with 308 in black marker. There's no excuse.
Old June 7, 2018, 05:55 PM   #6
cw308

mikld
I spread the one pound of IMR 4064 powder over a large white piece of paper , found all 50 primers an parts of the inside of the primers . Was hurrying so I could clean the pistol I shot , what a pain , will only happen once .
Old June 7, 2018, 06:20 PM   #7
HiBC

Calling yourself uncomplimentary names will not help. Making a mistake does not make you an AH.
Recognising you need a system change is a very good observation.An AH might not do that.

Among the most dangerous,gun wrecking,injury causing reloading mistakes is grabbing the wrong powder canister. Loading a fast ball pistol powder in the hopper instead of Win 748 to load rifle cartridges,for example.

If there is more than one powder canister on the bench,you can grab the wrong one. Murphy's law.

This time,it was only spent primers.

I suggest only one powder canister on your bench.

There are other containers to use for utility containers.

For no extra charge I'll make another suggestion. This is an SOP from a chem lab I worked next to.

When you transfer your powder or select a powder for a load,read the label out loud,twice.Something about reading it aloud requires the brain to be more engaged.

There is another post up about an ND with a revolver..IIRC three people opened the wheel and called it clear before the ND. One nickel plated round hiding in a stainless gun. Complacency,seeing what you expect to see.Going through the motions.Getting distracted.

It seems hokey,reading the label out loud. Its a good idea.

Last edited by HiBC; June 7, 2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old June 7, 2018, 07:24 PM   #8
cw308

HiBC
The only thing that was at the bench was the cases being sized an deprimed , when I was finished I opened the cabinet , didn't even look at the jar , only have one powder at a time in there with the old used primer ( powder ) jar with label removed an rubber bands around the out side . Even with that , I grabbed the well marked FULL one pound powder jar an dumped the burned up primers right in. I did stare at it in disbelief for about 20 seconds before I called myself curse words no one ever heard of.
All is well now , guess I'll cross off rock climbing & sky diving off my list. Maybe go swimming with sharks , forgot I can't swim. I'm batting 1000. Even though my gun is clean an it was a good day at the range. Be Well

Chris
Old June 8, 2018, 06:48 AM   #9
USSR

Quote:
An empty plastic coffee container works great for spent primers and cases with split necks.
+1.

Don
Old June 8, 2018, 09:20 AM   #10
Nick_C_S

I recondition brass and do the actual loading in separate processes (but I use a progressive). So my "hybrid" system self-alleviates your problem; as the only time propellant is on the bench is when I'm loading - not de-capping brass. Furthermore, when the little primer catcher on my press gets full, I dump it in a small trash container on the bench - then out to the garbage cans.
Old June 8, 2018, 10:06 AM   #11
cw308

Nick_C_S
My powder wasn't at the bench , that's what makes it worse . I opened thecabinet an removed the wrong jug . For some reason I started putting them in a unlabeled 1 pound powder jug with rubber bands around the outside so I wouldn't do what I did . I reload upstairs it's better to just dump them in a plastic bag throw them out each time . With my luck I'd pick a bag with a hole in it . Be Well.

Chris
Old June 8, 2018, 11:22 AM   #12
USSR

Quote:
I reload upstairs it's better to just dump them in a plastic bag throw them out each time . With my luck I'd pick a bag with a hole in it . Be Well.
No, no, no! You will be throwing away $$$. Brass brings $1.50 per pound at most scrap yards. I took a bunch of spent primer and bad cases to the scrap yard last year, and walked out with $60. Well, actually, I turned around and spent it on lead for casting bullets.

Don
Old June 8, 2018, 03:10 PM   #13
cw308

Don
You must be bumping alot of weight , I would say I dump max 50 cases a year .A full jar of old primers must weigh 8 pounds . I don't think it would pay for the gas.
Old June 8, 2018, 03:13 PM   #14
Paul B.

You could try using a strainer and shaking it over a bucket. The powder will go through and the spent primers won't. IIRC, 4064 has rather long grains so they may be a bit slower going through the strainer but is is a way to salvage the powder.
I've used a strainer when pulling bullets. Dump the powder and bullets into the strainer and a few shakes and the components are separated.
Paul B.
Old June 8, 2018, 03:54 PM   #15
cw308

Paul B.
I had to dump the powder on a large piece of white paper , flattened the powder with my fingers ,pulled all the primer parts an primers , it did take awhile but it worked . Thanks for answering my post .

Chris
Old June 8, 2018, 04:13 PM   #16
FITASC

I have accidentally dumped shot and powder into a jug. Talk about a nightmare trying to separate!..........(I keep shot in used powder jugs)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 8, 2018, 04:28 PM   #17
cw308

FITASC
Believe me I feel your pain . Hopefully , I'll say it twice Hopefully , it will only happen once . Hang in there . A friend of mine shoots shotgun , he shoots 25 out of 25 with some expensive shotgun , Benelli over under . Nice piece of machinery .

Chris
Old June 8, 2018, 04:36 PM   #18
JeepHammer

I gotta go with some of the guys, not an 'AH', you simply found a deficiency in your system.

Have a problem, fix a problem, not an AH.
Find a problem and continue the same practice, most certainly not too bright, but questionable about the AH question.
Make a mistake & blame someone else, most certainly an AH!

I was tearing some questionable rounds down, collecting the powder, opened a brand new can of Varget and poured Benchmark right in there!
The grass is looking a little yellow where $30+ of powder got dumped...

'Black' cans now get colored stickers on the lids that match the color coding I use for different caliber tool heads & supporting hardware... Those colored price tag stickers make good (cheap) target dots too!
Old June 8, 2018, 05:34 PM   #19
cw308

JeepHammer
I'm surprised you didn't come up with your own receipt for Benchmark / Varget . Only kidding , I feel better , happens to the best . I did say , will only happen once .

Chris
Old June 9, 2018, 06:57 AM   #20
JeepHammer

Nope...
When it comes to tooling or the process, I don't just turn over every rock, I'll roll every rock until it's round.

For me, there is no 'Safe' tolerance for powder/primer contamination.
When in doubt, throw it out.

With your situation, I might have spent $50 on specific size sifting screen... To save $20 worth of powder...

Hope my tomatoes don't grow fuses!
Old June 10, 2018, 07:27 PM   #21
cw308

JeepHammer
Strong soil watch out for fireflies . I'm back at the bench again started out with good groups , a few of my friends have new toys in 6.5 CM , Very Nice . I'll stick with my one an only 308 Rem700 for awhile Be Well .

Chris
Old June 11, 2018, 04:49 PM   #22
gwpercle

Why do you keep fired primers ? My fired primers go from press into trash...any reason to keep them.
Gary
Old June 11, 2018, 04:55 PM   #23
USSR

Quote:
Why do you keep fired primers ? My fired primers go from press into trash...any reason to keep them.
Gary
Gary,

See post 12.

Don
Old June 11, 2018, 06:54 PM   #24
Grey_Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308 View Post
First let me give you some insight on my system . I order powder in 8 pound container an transfer to a 1 poung same powder . I keep a 1 pound jar no lable to dump spent primers need I go further . After sizing an deprime I removed the fired primers from the cup on the rockchucker an dumped them in a full 1 pound jug of IMR 4064 . Time for a system change and I can't stop saying what a A_ _ H _ _ _ I am.
so as some of those primer anvils fly out of your firearms, do we get ta call ya "SPARKY" hehehehe