The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 28, 2006, 09:51 PM   #1
HannibalTheCrow

A question about ammo

I have been buying Winchester Black Box 147grain 9mm HP at my local gun store for $18 for a box of 20.........as I was walking through Wal-Mart tonight I notice they carry handgun ammo and just out of curiousity I asked them how much their ammo is.

The man told me that Winchester White Box 147grain 9mm HP's are $15 for a box of 100. Is this like really junky, use at your own risk, crap ammo or what.

Just thought I would ask..........please dont think I am stupid.

Thanks for answering

HannibalTheCrow
Old November 28, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I have been using nothing but Winchester White Box (WWB) in my CZ75 for years. I've never had a problem that was the fault of the ammo.

It is dirty though, so if you're not one to clean your guns very often, you might want to find a cleaner burning ammo.

Also, I've never seen a bulk box of WWB at Wal Mart that was hollow point (HP); it is FMJ.

Hope this helps.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old November 28, 2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Trip20

Winchester White Box (WWB) is not considered "carry ammo" or self-defense ammo. Most use it for target practice. Some claim its dirty, others think it's fine.

It's FMJ ammunition, not HP ammo as you're used to purchasing.

Most HP ammo is more expensive than FMJ ammo which is why you're noticing such a difference in price between your usual ammo, and the Walmart variety.

Another alternative to WWB is Blazer ammunition.
Old November 29, 2006, 09:40 PM   #4
pumpkinheaver

The wal marts around here carry wwb hollow point ammo. I buy and carry wwb 230 Jhp .45 acp. My kimber loves the stuff. They also have 147gr FMJ and JHP for the 9mm.
Old November 30, 2006, 10:33 PM   #5
MisterPX

Your Wally carries 100rnd packs of 147 HP?

Anyhow, the SXT's and the WWB HP's are 2 different bullets.
Old December 1, 2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Red Tornado

My Wal-Mart also carries the WWB 147gr HP. It's been perfectly reliable and is in my bedside pistol. Do I think it's the best option? Not necessarily, however, it's better than 115 gr. FMJ, which is also...adequate.

However, I live in an extremely safe area, so any gun is more than I should ever need. If I lived in the city, I'd have 185gr Gold Dots in my 1911, right beside my 12 gauge loaded with double-aught buck. As it is, I don't even feel that I really need a loaded pistol handy, but.....better safe than sorry.
RT
Old December 2, 2006, 04:34 PM   #7
Average Joe

It works for me.