The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 25, 2015, 11:28 PM   #1
YungGunz

Northern Virginia

I've noticed that a lot of posters are from VA! I think it would be really cool to meet some of you and shoot your guns! Of course you can shoot mine too. I live in Reston but i'll travel a bit.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
Old December 25, 2015, 11:39 PM   #2
chris in va

I no longer live in NOVA, but I'm sure you'll find plenty at the awesome NRA range in Fairfax.
Old December 25, 2015, 11:48 PM   #3
YungGunz

Quote:
I no longer live in NOVA, but I'm sure you'll find plenty at the awesome NRA range in Fairfax.
Thanks. I go to Blue Ridge Arsenal(Chantilly) for my range time and a friends HUGE property in Culpepper for "open" time but I have just recently moved back here and would love to meet some folks who just like to have fun and shoot.

The NRA headquarters is like 6 miles from me so i'm sure the range will be great.

Last edited by YungGunz; December 25, 2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old December 26, 2015, 04:08 AM   #4
CajunBass

The next time you're down around Culpepper, stop at Clark Brothers on 29, in Opal (29 & 17...look for the bear on the roof) and try their range. You have to buy their ammo, but use of the range is free.

Good place to meet people.

I don't live up there anymore, bud shot there for years.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 26, 2015, 09:05 AM   #5
JERRYS.

BRA and Clark Bros are good places, but please go to the NRA range too (must be a member hint hint). I don't know if Virginia Arms is still open (gun shop not range), but when I lived in Manassas, Bernie owned the place and was top shelf bar none.
Old December 26, 2015, 09:12 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

Oh yeah, Virginia arms is still open and doing well. Good people. I live in Burke and am a member at Sharpshooters, over by the Newington tank farm. Great little range. There is a new range in Manassas, Elite Shooting Sports. I have some friends who shoot there and love it. They have 25yd, 50yd, and 100yd indoor lanes and tons of other features and special events. Check out the web site, very reasonable fees as well.
Old December 26, 2015, 12:59 PM   #7
YungGunz

I have been to Clark Bros. and you are correct, good folks there.

I didn't know about that place in Manassas but that's awesome because i'll be working in Manassas from Jan 11th through Feb 5th so i'll be sure to stop by after work. Thanks folks.
Old December 26, 2015, 01:23 PM   #8
str8tshot

I am glad to see so many ranges are open in the NOVA area. When I left in '94, the only places I was able to shoot were private properties in PW county off Davis Ford rd. I lived or worked in most of the places mentioned so far.
Old December 26, 2015, 05:02 PM   #9
357 Python

Hello YungGunz, I'm not in NOVA but once in a blue moon get to Clark Brothers, they are quite a shop. I have never tried their range. If you get down to Albemarle County and Charlottesville let me know, if I have the time we could go to the Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club.
Old December 26, 2015, 05:55 PM   #10
YungGunz

I'll do that 357 Python and thanks. I drive for a living so i'm sure i'll find down there soon. Just a little jump down 66 and 81.
Old December 26, 2015, 06:48 PM   #11
BigDog

Yep, Virginia Arms is still going strong; in fact Bernie expanded into the spot next store a few years back and is now twice as big as before.

Also in Manassas is Hatfield's Gunsmithing. Sam Hatfield does very good work, and has done a lot for me since he opened about five or six years ago. He went thru a bit of growing pains last year, but trimmed out all the problems and is now back on top of his game. I recommend him without reservation.
Old December 26, 2015, 07:36 PM   #12
PSP

That Elite Shooting Sports looks pretty nice. I shoot at The Range in Stafford and Clarke Brothers. Anyone shoot at Range 82? http://www.range82.com/ I've considered joining there.

There are many great gun shops in the area. We're fortunate.
Old December 26, 2015, 07:57 PM   #13
YungGunz

Quote:
Yep, Virginia Arms is still going strong; in fact Bernie expanded into the spot next store a few years back and is now twice as big as before.

Also in Manassas is Hatfield's Gunsmithing. Sam Hatfield does very good work, and has done a lot for me since he opened about five or six years ago. He went thru a bit of growing pains last year, but trimmed out all the problems and is now back on top of his game. I recommend him without reservation.
That's actually really good to know BigDog. I happen to be in need of a gunsmith and will check that out.
Old December 26, 2015, 08:39 PM   #14
Bluestarlizzard

Also in Charlottesville,

I'm not all that sociable but if you guys get together closer to me, give me a shout. I could very possibly show up.
Old December 26, 2015, 09:20 PM   #15
StrutStopper

I lived in Centreville when I bought my first handgun back in the early 90s. I shot at the Blue Ridge Arsenal too. I used to drive passed NRA Headquarters on my way to and from work, never did shoot there though. Been in RI for the last 20 years or so. We keep fighting the dems in the stat house, holding on to our freedom, sort of. At least there are a bunch of nice ranges to shoot at.
Old December 26, 2015, 10:23 PM   #16
YungGunz

Quote:
I'm not all that sociable but if you guys get together closer to me, give me a shout. I could very possibly show up.
Oh, i'll pick you up so your anti-social arse has no excuse. Virginia is for Shooters.
Old December 28, 2015, 11:05 PM   #17
RaizdByWolvz

Oh hell yeahhhh! NOVA rep! I live less than 10 minutes drive from the NRA range, 66 West pass that gem on my way to work eryday all day! I'm going there tomorrow with my boy in fact! Bringing my new AR-15 to pound down range...boom sticks I absolutely am a full blown gun addict, love to meet up, hang and range it up with ya brother!
Old December 31, 2015, 12:13 AM   #18
CZ9Joe

I hit the NRA range every couple of weeks and I'm down for sharing use of my arsenal and trying out some new ones myself some time On a side note you don't have to be an NRA member to use the NRA range. Range time is just a little cheaper if you are a member.
Old December 31, 2015, 02:38 PM   #19
Spur0701

I just moved over from MD about six months ago and am sorta over by Sterling/Reston. I tried the NRA range a few times but two things kinda turned me off: 1) Seems likes there's always a wait for a lane, and 2) You can't use any targets that have the profile of or depictions of a person. I've been mostly using Silver Eagle Group over in Ashburn, it's only six miles away. I would really like to find a range that was outdoors and had at least 200 yards somewhere out around Leesburg but it seems such an animal doesn't exist.
Old January 3, 2016, 05:03 PM   #20
pturner67

Hey guys/gals, I am in Fairfax. I go shooting fairly often at Blue Ridge Arsenal, NRA, and Elite. I occasionally make the trip to Peacemaker (about 90 min from Fairfax).

If anyone is interested in meeting up, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks
Old January 10, 2016, 07:25 PM   #21
rburch

If I'm free (I work odd hours) I'd probably turn up.

Moved to Nova bit over a year ago.

I've shot at elite, blue ridge, and NRA, and like them all.

Also enjoy the free museum at NRA headquarters, I go there to dream.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old January 11, 2016, 03:35 PM   #22
CajunBass

If you ever get down to Richmond, stop by Colonial Shooting Academy on West Broad Street, in Richmond...Henrico County actually. Just off I-64 and east on Broad a few blocks.

State of the art indoor range.
John 3:16 (NKJV)