The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 22, 2021, 11:13 AM   #1
Wyoredman

Carlsons 870 rifled barrel #87030 Questions

I recently purchased a 24" rifled barrel from Carlsons Chokes. It is extremely well built and shoots well. BUT... I had to modify the fore end (slide) of my Remington 870 to get it to work.

The chamber area of the new barrel is way too thick and the fore end would bind on the barrel and not allow cycling.

I tried the barrel on 2 of my old Wingmasters as well as my new plain jane 870. On all three I experienced the same problem. As the fore end is cycled to the rear, it binds on the barrel and will not fully cycle rearward.

I solved the problem by sanding quite a bit of wood from the barrel channel of the fore end. It was a pretty laborious process. (Some of the bluing also got sanded off of the fore end tube in the process)

Has anyone else used a Carlsons rifled barrel on their 870 and had the same problems?

I am think about replacing the wood stock and fore arm with a composite aftermarket set. I don't want to be sanding on it. Any recommendations as to brand and model of aftermarket 870 stocks that are compatible with this barrel?

I want to use the gun for hunting deer on my sister's farm in Southern Minnesota.

Thanks
Old February 22, 2021, 11:27 AM   #2
Virginian

Odds are you will also have to sand a synthetic fore end because the Carlsons barrels are bigger. If you remove the fore end from the steel it won't get sanded, assuming of course you don't get a one piece molded affair.
Old February 22, 2021, 02:11 PM   #3
Wyoredman

Thanks. I was wondering about that. Nice barrel, but requires fitting I guess.
Old March 2, 2021, 10:58 AM   #4
Wyoredman

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the finished product. The fore end took quite a bit of filing and sanding, as the Carlson's rifled barrel has a very thick profile. Finally got the slide to function!

I installed the Carlson's Barrel then applied a Gunskins vinyl wrap. The wrap was more complicated then their video showed, but turned out OK.

I now have a dedicated 12 ga. deer gun for use on my trips to Minnesota where shotguns are mandatory!

Enjoy.