The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 7, 2018, 11:44 AM   #1
TenRing

Question about appendix carry.

I normally carry at the 4:00 position and most of my holsters are made for this. I have well made holsters by DeSantis, Simply Rugged and several others. Still, there are times when I feel that people are more likely to scope me out because that's where most people look when they want to see if you're carrying.

It seems that appendix carry may be less conspicuous and I tried that but it seems so uncomfortable. I can't deal with the business end of my weapon pointing back at my gut every time I sit down. Even with a short barrel J frame, it's still not comfortable for me.

If you carry at the appendix position, what gun and holster do you use? Also, what advantages do you see with carrying in this position? Did it take a lot of getting used to or does it feel natural to you?
Old January 7, 2018, 12:29 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Knew a Toronto cop who carried his issue Smith(years ago) on the forward of the hip bone on the right side(your appendix isn't under there. It's more in front near one's belly button. At least that's where the surgery scar is. snicker.).
I think the advantage is faster accessibility. Concealment is something a cop doesn't need to worry about. Holster is the same anyway. Comfort is more about how much of you there is forward of your hip bone.
Old January 7, 2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Don Fischer

Tell you something I found out that better hide's the gun at 4 o'clock. Run your belt over the top of the holster. Unless I've really got heavy or baggy cloth's on, if I run the belt like normal, the handle always pop's out!
Old January 7, 2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Nathan

Quote:
Run your belt over the top of the holster. Unless I've really got heavy or baggy cloth's on, if I run the belt like normal, the handle always pop's out!
Quality holsters don't do this...
Old January 7, 2018, 01:21 PM   #5
ammo.crafter

appendix carry

How do you sit in you car/truck when carrying in this manner?
Old January 7, 2018, 02:20 PM   #6
raimius

The ride height of the pistol is very important to comfort for this style of carry. Also, your body shape is critical. If you have a gut, it doesn't work so well.
Old January 7, 2018, 02:28 PM   #7
BumbleBug

I suggest you experiment some. I'm right handed. I'm trying a cross-draw with the gun butt tilted slightly forward at 10 o'clock. Seems more comfortable, more concealable & barrel points at butt cheek. I still need a lot of drawing practice before I decide what's best for me.
Old January 7, 2018, 07:16 PM   #8
TenRing

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I have some more experimenting to do. I tried to avoid cross-draw because when facing an adversary, my pistol grip would be in presented to him.

However, cross-draw seems like a good alternative while driving.
Old January 7, 2018, 08:35 PM   #9
Striker

I find that short barrel guns are more uncomfortable a longer barrel one for AIWB carry. For me, any bending or siting that pushes the grip out causes the short barrel to dig in. A longer barrel allows you to find the "crease". For me that's between 1 and 2 o'clock.

RLTW
"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."

Last edited by Striker; January 7, 2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old January 7, 2018, 08:52 PM   #10
TenRing

That's a good point and it's counter-intuitive. When I try AIWB with a longer barreled gun, it is actually a better fit. Thanks.
Old January 7, 2018, 09:01 PM   #11
Striker

Agree, it is counter intuitive. But I find a full size Beretta 96FS to be more comfortable for AIWB then a Smith J frame. About the smallest gun I AIWB carry is a Glock 19/23 or Sig 250 Compact. But a good belt and holster is mandatory. My belts are all 1 3/4" double thick and my AIWB holsters are either Darkstar or Chuck D's kydex, pressed specifically for the gun.

RLTW
"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."
Old January 8, 2018, 12:08 PM   #12
sakata8242

HKP30SK in a G-code Incog holster. For me the primary advantage of appendix is comfort. I used to carry at the usual 4:00 position and eventually it would cause muscle spasms in my lumbar back. Other plusses include access when sitting and the potential for easier draw concealment.

I should also note I personally no longer carry striker fired pistols or any other "single-action like" pistol in the appendix position. The reasons are two-fold :

The margin of error is lower, and I prefer to have a pistol with a hammer that allows both visual and tactile feedback while holstering.

Training with a striker pistol at appendix means hundreds of holstering reps, which also increases the risk.
Old January 8, 2018, 10:27 PM   #13
JBB

I’ve been carrying a j-frame in a Remora holster in the appendix position for a couple of years. The holster conforms to my body and is comfortable even when sitting for extended periods. I am short for my weight but it’s still the most comfortable way to carry for me.
Old January 9, 2018, 04:54 AM   #14
TenRing

I can certainly relate to having the additional safety margin of a double action pistol, particularly when carrying AIWB.

Most often, I carry some type of J frame, 340PD or 640. Occasionally I will carry a 5903.

I'm going to check out the holster recommendations. Thanks!
Old January 9, 2018, 04:15 PM   #15
JN01

I carry OWB at 1:30-2:00 position, and for me, shorter barreled guns are more comfortable.

In that position, your gut isn't pushing the gun outward so much and it is concealed better in the hollow between your gut and hip. Other advantages are that it is easier to draw from a seated position (than the traditional behind the hip), and is less likely to be detected by someone bumping into or casually hugging you.
Old January 13, 2018, 09:13 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

I've carried appendix for the better half of a decade.

Glocks - PHLster holsters.

Smith and Wesson - T5 Custom Kydex.

SIG Sauer and HK (discontinued) - NSR Tactical.

HK recently, G-CODE INCOG.

I always have a spare mag at the 11 o'clock position and the gun at 1 o'clock.