The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 3, 2001, 09:10 AM   #1
Mal H
Staff

Auto logout

Has anyone else been automatically logged out during a session on TFL?

I will be reviewing the forums and refresh the main index page and *poof* I'm no longer logged in. The forums go all blue like I hadn't viewed anything recently and I have to re-login at the bottom of the screen.

This just happened for about the 8th time in the last few months. I simply ignored it before since it didn't happen often it is a very simple thing to login but I am wondering if I am the only one who has had this happen.

IE 5.50
Old August 3, 2001, 04:03 PM   #2
PreserveFreedom

How long are you idle between page views? It has never happened to me, but that could be the key. If you do not share your computer, you can set TFL to automatically log you in with cookies. Go to your option settings and set "Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)" to "yes".

Old August 3, 2001, 04:35 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I started to put all the details of the most recent incident but decided against it when I posted.

I was actively viewing pages at about 2 or 3 a minute, i.e., the timeout timer could (should) not have expired. Since I was already in a TFL session and was logged out while in session, your suggestion of the autologin doesn't apply. I had to enter name/PW. I do, of course, have the "autologin on return" set on and it works fine.

At first I thought I might have inadvertantly pressed the "logout" button, but the cursor was on the "Refresh" button at the top of IE and was no where near the logout button at the bottom of the TFL screen.
Old August 4, 2001, 11:45 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

Has happened to me on rare occaisions. Didn't seem to be timeout thing, just randomly logged me out. So rare for me that I never really thought much about it.

Sam
Old August 4, 2001, 07:51 PM   #5
Jim V

I;ve had the problem when I've left TFL and then came back to find I'd been logged out. It has happened while I've still been on line and when I've logged off the net and came back later. I have not had it happen while I've been in TFL, however.
Old August 4, 2001, 08:27 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Thanks guys. it sounds like this phenom is about as rare as I thought it might be.

Jim your symptom isn't quite the same but it could easily be related because I highly suspect some kind of a corrupt cookie problem, could be local or could be a vB bug, hellfino. Sam and I get it while actively on TFL and you got it while offline.

Oh well. No biggy.