The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 29, 2005, 01:24 PM   #1
charliep

shotgun for home

Hi gang Can someone tell me their preference for a shotgun for home protection thanx charlie p
Old March 29, 2005, 01:37 PM   #2
WillBrayjr

That depends on how much you're willing to spend. $325.00 should be enough to get you a Remington 870 Express out the door.
Old March 29, 2005, 03:12 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Mine the archives, that's a FAQ.

My choice is the 870, but there's lots of good choices out there. The software in much more critical. Training, not technology.

What a defensive shotgun needs are....

Reliability.

Durability.

Effectiveness. Practically a given with shotguns.

Ergonomics and size. Short enough to handle in close quarters, with controls and "Chops" the operator knows and uses.

Defensive shotguns are aimed at anything past contact distances.

Sights should be easy to pick up, rugged and hard to knock off.

For HD, a light is usually a good choice.

HTH....
Old March 29, 2005, 03:49 PM   #4
16ga

Definitely a pump action, since they cycle more reliably than semis. Recoil is a small price to pay for your life.

A 12 ga., for size and ammo availability and choice.

You want a short bbl. for quick aiming.

A widely available model is better, since there are more aftermarket parts and local gunsmiths will be better able to fix them.

All that points to a short-barreled Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or Winchester Defender in 12 ga. I prefer the Rem to the Win, and the Win to the Mossberg.
Old March 29, 2005, 04:03 PM   #5
Paintballer

I am in the same boat. I have been considering the Mossberg 500 12ga with 18 inch barrel, but I want the higher capacity the 20 inch barrel model offers. I cant find a magazine extension for the Mossberg. So I was looking into the Remington 870 and Winchester 1300 defender. I have read that in a hurry, the Remington is difficult to load due to the elevator being in the down position and you can get your thumb stuck in there trying to load shells. Anyone had a problem with that?
I see that most folks have a Remington, so are Mossbergs that bad?
I am going to a gun show here in Portland, OR next month to buy a 12 ga, so any advice/help would be great. Also, what should I look for around the $300 price range?
Thanks.
Old March 29, 2005, 04:13 PM   #6
WillBrayjr

Remington has a 12ga 870 model with a 18in barrel and 6 shot capacity. Remington also has managed recoil 12ga loads too
Old March 29, 2005, 05:09 PM   #7
utaherrn

Mossberg 590

Have an older Winchester 1300. There's a little flat metal plate on the underside of the bolt that the action bars hook into and holds the firing pin and spring in place. It's only held by a single screw. After every 100 rounds of slugs or buckshot, that screw would shear off, tying up the gun. After 3 or 4 screws sheared off, I had to weld the plate to the bolt. If the firing pin were to ever break, I'll have to buy a new bolt. It sits in the safe now. Can't sell it in good faith the way it is and don't want to spend the money to buy a new bolt to sell it. Don't know if current Winchester pumps are the same design. Loved the gun other than that. Nice smooth action, etc.

Have had a Remington 870 Express, lots of FTF, sent back to Remington twice, not fixed. Have had 2 friends with same model gun, same problem. I've heard Remingtons are excellent, but that's not been my experience.

Have a Mossberg 590, excellent so far except for a dirty action caused some FTF, worked great since I learned how to clean it thoroughly once in a while.

Good luck
Old March 29, 2005, 05:52 PM   #8
dickfunk

I have a Mossberg 500 Persuader for home defense. I picked it up for about $200. 8 shells, 18" smooth-bore barrel, reliable pump-action, pistol grip and a seperate stock...hell of a 12 guage.
Old March 29, 2005, 06:56 PM   #9
jonathon

Can't beat a Winchester Defender on price(or quality either ), You can get them for under $200 depending on where you look
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old March 29, 2005, 07:33 PM   #10
Pezo

I was thinking about a 590a1 myself. The product #51663 model on their website. 20" barrel , 9 shots . sounds good to me.
Old March 29, 2005, 09:12 PM   #11
itsmike762

Lots of good house shotguns out there, I went the Win 1300 route myself, but Dave has it right, train. Get one that feels good to you then train, train, train.