The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2005, 08:48 PM   #1
fredsson48

Ithaca model 87?

New member here with a question: I have just purchased but not yet received a Ithaca model 87 M/P. My question is ..does the mod 87 have a trigger disconnect like the Mod 37 does. Can it be fired with the slide while holding down the trigger? thanks for you time and I hope to Glean much from all of your expertise.
Pat
Old March 26, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2
GunsnRovers

I do not believe the 87 can be slam fired. In the mid-1970's, this became an LEO only option on Ithaca 37's. The 87's came later during one of their "reorganizations".

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
Old March 29, 2005, 03:41 AM   #3
Romulus

My '87 will not slam fire

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old April 3, 2005, 10:11 AM   #4
Ruger4570

The new Ithaca's will not slam fire any longer, they eliminated that feature?? some time ago. I have toured the Factory since their reorganazition which is now located in Kings Ferry,NY a couple of miles north of their original location in Ithaca,NY.
Very interesting and informative tour. The receivers are really made from a solid block of steel. Lots of machine work involved and I am surprised they havent gone to forgings instead. They feel they have better quality this way, but it sure is labor intensive. I asked why they only use only 1 action bar and they showed me a Model 37 that they experimented with 2 bars like a Remington. They feel that one is just fine. Ithaca's may not be the most beautiful pump on the market, but they are well built and life long dependable.