The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 23, 2018, 10:27 PM   #1
cannonfire

Carry gun/Night stand gun

I got to thinking, which is often times dangerous.....

Who uses the same gun for a carry and as their nightstand gun?

For those you do not use the same firearm, do you use the same caliber or change calibers too? Why/Why not?

I know many will say "I use a got shotgun or rifle for HD" but this is strictly talking about using the same carry and night stand gun.

I personally carry a CZ P10c with a 15 rd mag of 9mm 124 gr HSTs with a 18 rd mag in my pocket. My nightstand gun is a Springfield Combat Operator loaded with 45 cal 220 gr Critical Duty and a Surefire X300 weapon light. I also have a PS90 at the bed side, but again I'd like to talk about handguns only.

The weird thing is, I do not know why I change defensive weapons, it was done completely subconsciously. I realized it the other day that I did this. Thinking hard on it, I'd say I do it for 1. weight of the firearm 2. the number of rounds in the firearm isn't as important in the house because of my access to other firearms as opposed to being on the street and put into a situation where the P10c is the only firearm I have access to.

What say you?
Old June 23, 2018, 10:35 PM   #2
kymasabe

My carry gun is my little P32 that I pocket carry in a Sticky holster, but my bedside gun(s), depending on which side of the bed, is my S&W SD9 on my side and a Charter .38 special on the wife's. I want light and easy to carry for every day, and bigger round with bigger mag for home.
Old June 23, 2018, 10:44 PM   #3
Kirosha

I carry a Charter Arms .38 at times but every night it is in direct reach. I grab it first then move to the shotgun. So I use one of my carry guns as a dedicated nightstand gun, yes.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old June 23, 2018, 10:50 PM   #4
PushPuller

I keep my FEG PA-63 In the nightstand, and carry it as well. Its slim, easy enough for the girlfriend to use, has a decocker as well as a gnarly DA trigger pull that isn't going to accidently get triggered.

I have nicer handguns I could use but I feel more comfortable with them in the safe and the PA-63 is actually very accurate, and out of almost 1500 rounds through it have NEVER had a malfunction. As an added bonus its heavy enough to chuck at somebody.
I have Hornady Critical Defense 95gr loaded in it.
Old June 23, 2018, 11:32 PM   #5
KY_blkout

I carry my G19 day in and day out with a TRL 6 light/laser combo so it serves double duty as my night stand gun as well. I've thought about this and while I love shooting all types of handguns at the range for whatever reason the glock is just the one i am most comfortable with using.
Old June 23, 2018, 11:42 PM   #6
Cyanide971

Whatever I’m carrying throughout the day is what goes on my nightstand. Right now my carry rotation goes between my 9mm CZ 100, Glock 19, and LCR 357.
Old June 24, 2018, 03:47 AM   #7
Don Dayacetah

Depends whether I'm going out into the bush to be around poisonous snakes. Then it
turns into a revolver with ratshot. Which is fine for the "nightstand".

You guys really reach all the way out of bed, and over to a nightstand?
Old June 24, 2018, 06:39 AM   #8
jr24

I like a weapon mounted light on my nightstand gun and don't care for attaching/reattaching it each night, I try to manipulate loaded guns at a minimum daily, especially with kids in the house.

So I choose to use a nightstand pistol that is either the same, or slightly bigger than my CCW with the same action/trigger and usually the same caliber, if not sharing mags.

I.e. carry a Glock 26/19X and nightstand Glock 17. Or varying forms of 1911 for carry and a railed one with WML and 10 round mags for nightstand.

Quote:
You guys really reach all the way out of bed, and over to a nightstand?
I certainly don't sleep with one, mine is mounted to the wall by my bedside in a speed vault.
Old June 24, 2018, 07:05 AM   #9
old bear

My Carry revolver and "night stand" revolver are one in the same. 2 1/2" model 66. It feels just right in my hand and I shoot it as well as any of my revolvers.

My first floor ready revolver is a 4" 38/44 Heavy Duty.
Old June 24, 2018, 12:43 PM   #10
cw308

My carry an night stand is the same , Colt New Agent 3" 1911 in 45acp . All others are in the safe .
Old June 24, 2018, 02:17 PM   #11
mk70ss

Carry gun is a Ruger SP101 .357, Night stand gun is a 4 inch Colt Trooper .357.......until I can grab the pistol gripped, extended mag tube, 12 gauge shotgun in the corner.
Old June 24, 2018, 04:40 PM   #12
tallball

I carry a Ruger LCR 38 special more than anything else, and keep a Taurus Model 689 near me when I sleep. They are revolvers. You squeeze the trigger and they go bang. I like to keep things simple. We live in a low-crime area and have big dogs. If I were more concerned I would have a long gun loaded and handy.
Old June 24, 2018, 08:29 PM   #13
Red Devil

My GLOCK 36/.45 ACP follows me around like a puppy dog.

Red
Old June 24, 2018, 08:41 PM   #14
MTT TL

My nightstand gun is an AR pistol in 300BO. It is too large to easily conceal carry, especially in the summer time. My concealed carry gun varies with either the Glock 27 or the S&W Shield.

Quote:
For those you do not use the same firearm, do you use the same caliber or change calibers too? Why/Why not?
My duty carry is a 9mm so I carry the Shield as BUG for ammo compatibility, or CC when out of state. When off duty I often carry the G27 because that is what I have carried for 20 years and am set up for it.
Old June 24, 2018, 08:52 PM   #15
SonOfScubaDiver

I don't have a nightstand, but I did buy some mounting clips for an AlienGear holster I bought for my SP101. It's mounted right on the side of my headboard. My carry gun varies depending on my mood, but I mainly carry a Bersa Thunder 380. I also have a Glock 42 and an LCR 38.
Old June 25, 2018, 07:00 PM   #16
fastlane

My carry gun is a P938
My night stand gun is a Glock 30
Range gun is a CZ P01.
In the Winter months I sometimes carry the CZ.
Old June 26, 2018, 12:36 PM   #17
rpseraph

I carry an XDM 3.8 Compact or a few others.

For Home Defense, I recently switched to a full size pistol with a light on it. It is nice to have a dedicated pistol that has a light and is always staged in the same place/condition.
Old June 26, 2018, 03:40 PM   #18
TailGator

My most commonly used carry pistol is a Glock 26, which also goes in the nightstand when I head to bed. Once or twice a week I pocket carry a Sig P238, and the G26 is still the nightstand pistol. I want at least that capacity in a HD pistol; you could certainly make a case for something even bigger than the G26, and I have others in the safe, but the G26 is what I keep beside the bed, more for convenience than anything.
Old June 26, 2018, 07:43 PM   #19
2wheelwander

Nightstand gun used to be a mod 2 .45 (still there). It kept bothering me that I would use a handgun for home defense when I had other options.

Snagged a wall mounted/lockable rifle rack off Amazon. Now my night stand gun is a Shockwave with a laser/light with a pressure switch. I have a tacticool 870, but went with the Shockwave because its easier to maneuver, I attached a sling as well as aside saddle shell holder. Was going to go with an AR pistol, but too much going on there for my wife to use in a stressful situation.

Nothing say "wrong house" like the racking of a 12 gauge pump. My hopes is they'd flee from the noise and I don't end up in a gun fight with my family on the other side of 2 sheets of dry wall.
Old June 28, 2018, 06:29 AM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

Generally no. I often have the same type of gun for carry and nightstand use...

I.E., an S&W 042 Centennial hammerless as my carry gun and a 3" Model 36 as my nightstand gun -- both J frames.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 28, 2018, 06:51 AM   #21
FITASC

Currently, it is a G26 for both uses. Normally, the G19 is on the nightstand.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 28, 2018, 07:40 AM   #22
rodfac

My bedside gun is equipped with a light, is substantially larger than what I carry when going to town or the city, and weighs a small ton. For those reasons, I carry something else, depending on what activities are on the docket for the day.

The bedside gun, if you're interested, is a Sig P226 Mk25 with a supplementary .40 S&W slide and barrel installed along with a TLR 1 light on the rail.

My carry pieces vary from a Smith M69, to a Sig P225A1, to a Colt .22 LR Diamondback depending on the day's work schedule and my wardrobe choices. I've also been known to carry a Sig P290, Smith M637 or M60, or a Smith .380 Bodyguard depending on the day.

YMMV, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; June 28, 2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old June 28, 2018, 07:51 AM   #23
Bartholomew Roberts

Nothing super complex here. Wake up in the morning, take carry gun out of nightstand (still in holster), put on holster and spare mag. Reverse process at bedtime.
Old June 28, 2018, 09:18 AM   #24
weblance

My carry and nightstand gun is the same... a Glock 23 with a 357 Sig barrel and night sights.
Old June 28, 2018, 11:48 AM   #25
stephen426

I have young kids so I have a quick access nightstand safe. I am limited to a slim single stack for carry due to weather in South Florida and my typical office attire. I see no reason to limit myself at home. I have a Sig P229 in there with more than double the capacity of my Glock 43. I have spare mags and a Surefire in the actual nightstand.