The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Nate1778

Lead cast bullet reviews

Looking to buy some lead cast bullets from one of the many numerous lead cast suppliers, if they are still available . I remember reading a bad review on one of them about the amount of time it took to fill orders and this was before the "Rush". My question to you guys is, where have you guys bought before and what was the service like. Where is the place that cannot be beat, not necessarily price wise, and where is the place to avoid.
Old April 20, 2009, 08:11 PM   #2
.357 mag

http://www.wideners.com/ They will take a while but they are honest about it and the product is good. Prices aren't bad either. If they have them in stock.
Old April 20, 2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Doby45

The only one I have dealt with and can refer as of now is Dardas.

www.dardascastbullets.com

I placed an order for a measily 100 40cal 180gr just so that I could use them to work up a load and see how they do. The product that I received was top notch, the price was really good and communications were excellent. As soon as I get my Storm Lake barrel in for my Glock and get a chance to test my setup rounds I am sure I will buy more in larger quantities.
:-)
Old April 21, 2009, 12:55 PM   #4
iblong

http://www.snscasting.com/
Good people,good pricing.and have never wated more than 5 days for delivery.
Check them out.
Bob.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Fred_Fred

I use Dardas. Last order of .45 lswc's took about 3-4 wks. You can always order a small amount from several makers then buy bulk from the one you like..
Old April 21, 2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Nate1778

Man, thanks you guys, I think each and everyone of you that posted a link to a site I had not scene yet, and I found a pretty good list on the net. It would be cool if there was a sticky with all the lead cast bullet manufacturers that people would recommend.
Old April 21, 2009, 07:51 PM   #7
Ed_

http://www.missouribullet.com/

Very well ran business and good product

Ordered online on a wednesday at my door Friday

Last edited by Ed_; April 22, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old April 21, 2009, 10:03 PM   #8
raxafarian

I've had good luck with these guys:

www.betterbullets.com
Old April 22, 2009, 05:31 AM   #9
CBP

http://www.moyerscastbullets.com/pricelist.html

Very good quality bullets. Mr. Moyer and his wife run this full time business themselves. I've stopped by his place to pick up bullets when in the area and enjoyed talking to him. You may want to email him first concerning shipment, as I haven't dealt with him lately. As far as service, I believe he is an honest person to work with and he will treat you fairly.
Old April 22, 2009, 08:25 AM   #10
Nate1778

Nice, I see Moyers sells a .266 6.5 round for the Carcano owners of the world. Nice find, thank you sir.
Old April 22, 2009, 01:05 PM   #11
GeauxTide

Hunter's Supply from Midway Arms. Excellent.
Old April 22, 2009, 01:38 PM   #12
Prince55

Beartooth, Dardas, & Montana Bullet
Old April 22, 2009, 09:05 PM   #13
troutbum

+1 for Missouri Bullets. I placed an order last Friday morning and recieved them on Monday. Can't beat that now a days. Prices and shipping is also great.
Old April 22, 2009, 10:07 PM   #14
OldShooter

cast

I don't have a lot of experience but I have used Oregon Trail Laser Cast and Better Bullets. Results seems good.
Old April 22, 2009, 10:41 PM   #15
Aldadentist

I have used Oregon Trail Laser-Cast in 200 lswc for 45 acp and get amazing accuracy. Shipping is included when you order. I also have good results with Berry's Manufacturing lead cast bullets but they are delayed in shipping right now but have been great in the past. Any order over $50 gets free shipping.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:54 PM   #16
jtmo3

+1 on Missouri bullet. I ordered 1500 yesterday at about noon and came home about 30 minutes ago and they were waiting at my door. I live in Missouri and they were delivered in less than 24 hours. Great service.

John
Old April 30, 2009, 06:35 PM   #17
Sevens

I second the motion on Dardas cast bullets.
www.dardascastbullets.com

I ordered from them for the first time a couple of months back. Because my last handful of trips to the range were all indoors, I was shooting plated and jacketed. Last weekend, I finally got a chance to try my new Dardas cast bullets in 9mm and .45 and I loved 'em. These are terrific bullets, at a great price, and Matt is fine guy to deal with.

Now that I've gotten some of them on paper, I see no reason to shop somewhere else. My next order will likely be in four or five calibers.

I highly recommend Dardas.
Old April 30, 2009, 07:17 PM   #18
rn22723

Missouri Bullets!!!
Old April 30, 2009, 08:05 PM   #19
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I have been very happy with Chey Cast!

http://www.cheycast.com/
Old April 30, 2009, 08:12 PM   #20
floydster

Missouri bullets all the way, no dinking around waiting for your order while Bubba makes a run on the bullets you want.
Order from Missouri, you will have your bullets in three days and they are excellent.
Old April 30, 2009, 08:44 PM   #21
RedHawk357

Wonder has anyone ordered from Penn yet and how did that work out for you? I understand everyone is running a little behind here lately but when they say behind do they mean like two or three months?

As for the Dardas bullets anyone got any info as to hardness of the different types of bullets they sell? Thx
Old May 1, 2009, 07:55 AM   #22
Sevens

From the home page of the Dardas site:
Our bullets are 100% inspected providing you with the very highest quality cast bullets possible. We use specification alloy consisting of 92% Lead -2% Tin-6% Antimony (Brinell Hardness Number 18-20). We have 36 years of bullet casting experience which is reinvested into the very high quality cast bullets that you purchase from us.

I have no stake in the company... I just really enjoy a good product at a good price and when there's decent folks running the show, all the better.
Old May 1, 2009, 07:59 AM   #23
Sevens

Regarding Penn-- I haven't ever bought from him or used his bullets. What I do know is that Penn has been around for a while, I remember his ads from the gun rags of the 80s.

Also, I contacted him a few months ago because of what I'd seen on his site for the last year. Seems that he offers a wide array of products, but all of them except for the most common ones are NOT being produced because he's been overblown with orders. He's sending out 200 grain .45 LSWC by the hundreds of thousands, but some of the odd stuff isn't even being cast.

So I e-mailed to ask him if that was clearing up any time soon and he said that it wasn't yet. That was in January, IIRC, so things may have changed since that time.

I am interested in his cast lead .30 Carbine bullets. No good in a carbine (lead bullets gum up the gas system) but I'd use them for my Blackhawk.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:04 AM   #24
Doby45

I just ordered another 500 of Dardas' bullets. Love em and the service has been great. I also have no stake at all in the guys company but the level of customer service sold me. Sevens PM me your addy as a have a small amount of 10mm brass that I do not need and I will just send it to ya. Nothing major, like 20 pieces.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:02 AM   #25
ShootingNut

Hands down winner in my book, is Mike in Carbondale, Il
www.mastercastbullets.com
Very competitive pricing, for a very good product.
SN