The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2018, 09:30 PM   #1
TruthTellers

.45 Black Powder Magnum

I'm normally not into reloading with black powder unless it's necessary, but I discovered this cartridge this weekend and I think it would find great use in .410/.45 Colt guns, specifically the Judge and Governor revolvers.

1) Has anybody tried this cartridge in a Judge/Gov?
2) What velocities did you get?
3) How were the groups and overall accuracy?
4) Where do you get brass?

I'm thinking that trimming down .460 brass would be cheaper and easier to obtain. No?

Also, what powder did you use? Can Triple 7 be used? That'd be pretty hot load using 50 to 60 grains of Triple 7 under a 250 grain bullet. Can the Judge/Governor take that kind of pressure?
Old June 25, 2018, 01:30 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Apparently, the .45 Black Powder Magnum is just a .460 S&W Magnum case(Hornady brass is currently on sale at Midway for $31.49/50. $64.99/100 for Starline.) loaded with 40 to 60 grains of BP. No trimming involved. Needs a conversion cylinder if used in a Walker Colt.
It will not fit in a regular .45 Colt chamber though. It will fit in your Judge though.
I usually don't suggest Wikipedia for anything, but the .45 Black Powder Magnum page there is actually pretty good. There's even a wee bit of load data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Black_Powder_Magnum