The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 25, 2018, 09:07 PM   #1
William Munny

Winchester AR 15

I was just looking at the various new models of AR type rifles introduced at the SHOT Show and realized Winchester doesn't offer one. They might be about the only firearms company NOT building one right now.

I wonder why they never got in on the action. Right now the market is flooded and I doubt it makes financial sense to jump in at this point but historically speaking I think they could have made a killing.

What does the membership here think?
Old January 25, 2018, 09:19 PM   #2
Tallest

I think it would be a step away from their DNA. I feel like Winchester has always marched to the beat of their own drum. And they’ve some great things in doing so. Maybe a little less so recently with the trend toward budget bolt guns, but they’re still a top name in my book.

To succeed in the AR realm, they would have to make a really good one to set themselves apart. Like the OP said, the market is flooded. Prices are low, why spend a lot of capital to establish yourself in rocky market where the profit margins are proving tenuous?

I think it will be interesting to see, as the trump presidency continues, how many people lose their panic based interest in ARs and return to the higher performing bolt guns. :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 25, 2018, 10:05 PM   #3
Ifishsum

Winchester hasn't actually been a firearm manufacturer for some time... Another maker would have to purchase licensing rights to market an AR-type design with their name on it and given all the players and the current market prices it probably doesn't appear to be a real profitable venture.
Old January 26, 2018, 12:50 AM   #4
kozak6

Winchester is a just a licensed brand these days.

It doesn't fit into their product lineup, so I don't think they are really missing out on anything.
Old January 26, 2018, 10:14 AM   #5
William Munny

It would be a definite departure from their traditional lineup but other companies have done it. Savage for instance. (Of course, I don't know how well the Savages are selling.)

Even though "Winchester" is just a name now, I'd think that name still holds enough cache that they could have been pretty competitve. Too late for that now.

Thanks for the thoughts gang!
Old January 31, 2018, 11:46 PM   #6
fourbore

A couple prior comments got me thinking, what is a real gun company and what is just a name stamped on some one else product? I have to struggle a little, only because I like Winchester today more than 20-30 years ago. Like is one thing, calling it Winchester maybe another. They still look and feel like Winchesters to me.

S&W and Colt have both gone through multiple bankruptcies and ownership changes. I dont think the factory moved. Marlin is no longer marlin, they are now part of Remington and the plant moved. I assume this makes marlin just a name, even though they are still made in USA, that is just an accident of ownership. Or no, is marlin still real? A company can shift manufacturing to a new state, like Ruger and not change ownership. That is ok, even if old products are dropped or new ones introduced and made in a new state.

With, Winchester, The current owners have shifted production of the same guns to other countries and re-introduced older discontinued models. The old models are a fair copy of the old guns, with no more upgrading than a marlin lever might have got back in the New haven days. A safety location or a new caliber option. The product line is much deeper than we ever had in New Haven and they mostly all 'look' like Winchester right down to awful angel eject on the Model 94.

I would not be surprised if Freedom Group had acquired Winchester, they might go ahead and cheap out the line with plastic wonders and matt finished supplemented with 'metal' of various non ferrous types. Not surprised if they would slap the Winchester name on an AR just to milk the brand. Would that be real or name only?
Old February 1, 2018, 01:21 AM   #7
Bill DeShivs

There are no " licensing rights to market an AR-type design."
That's why there are so many AR-15 makers.
Old February 1, 2018, 05:52 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

The Winchester licensee, FN Herstal, already makes M4s for Uncle Sam. Browning doesn't make an AR either. Watch out if Beretta/Sako get into the AR game!
Old February 1, 2018, 10:58 AM   #9
Fishbed77

FN (Winchester's parent company) sells AR-15s.
Old February 1, 2018, 12:10 PM   #10
the possum

I think they could have differentiated themselves from the rest of the AR market and also kept true to their more traditional hunting lineup, if they'd figured out some way to make a production version of Turnbull's AR. Maybe not quite as fancy to meet a price point, but still kept the same "spirit" with wood and traditional metal finish.