The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 13, 2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Kimio

What condition do you like to carry in?

Which do you prefer? Loaded with a round in the chamber with the hammer down (if applicable)? Cocked and locked? I’ve heard arguments on both sides, and a common criticism for carrying DA is the difference in trigger pull for the first shot fired. To my understanding, this takes a lot of practice for some to get accustomed to and remain accurate.

I typically carry cocked and locked since my Compact CZ75 has a manual safety. However I’ve also heard criticisms about this method of carry. Chiefly that this requires the shooter to go through and additional step to make their handgun hot and ready to fire.

Other handguns of course, like the glock have no safety (other than what is between the ears) and I’ve also heard folks espouse the virtues of a striker system.

Each method of carry has its benefits from what I can tell, but I’d be inter stead in why you carry the way you do.

For me, a manual safety just gives me a sense of additional security. I can’t really explain it, but I like the tactile feeling that I know when I flip that safety on or off, that the likelihood of said gun going off with modern safeties is relatively low. I am aware that if you train enough, this would likely become a non-issue anyway, but that little bit of extra assurance is just something that helps me keep my mind at ease for some reason.
Old April 13, 2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Yankee Doodle

Fully charged cylinder. 5 or 6 rounds, Depending on which REVOLVER I am carrying.
Old April 13, 2018, 09:45 AM   #3
TailGator

This gets talked about a lot, and people sometimes get a little stirred up defending their practices.

Personally, I want to be able to fire with one hand in case the other is occupied or injured, and I don't want either the delay or the uncertainty of racking the slide, including the possibility of short-stroking the slide when manipulating the pistol under duress.

I thus carry both of my carry pistols ready to fire. One is a G26, so that translates to chambered. The Glock trigger isn't particularly heavy, but it is heavy enough and long enough to avoid accidental discharges, when a good holster is used and the owner pays attention to his trigger finger and returning the pistol to the holster carefully. I know some people say it isn't so, but I have been carrying it for several years now with no incidents and no close calls.

My pocket pistol has a different manual of arms, which sends some people into a tizzy, as well, but it works for me. It is a Sig P238, so being in a ready state for it means cocked and locked. Again, a good holster covers both trigger and safety, and I pay attention. With a trigger that short and light, you want a thumb safety on that pistol.

Summary: You want it ready, but what "ready" means differs with different mechanism. If you like thumb safeties, practice with it, and don't let it take the place of careful and well-disciplined handling.
Old April 13, 2018, 09:54 AM   #4
kenny53

1911 cocked and locked.
Striker fire one in the chamber.
Revolver every hole is filled.
Old April 13, 2018, 09:55 AM   #5
David R

Condition one Sig P238 (380), Kimber Micro Carry(9mm), or Light weight Colt Officers ACP (45).
Ruger LCP goes in pocket holster round chambered.

I don't bother with the +1.

I have a lightweight J frame (5 shot 38) I carry "Fully Loaded"

David

No one has to carry like I do. Its a personal thing.
Old April 13, 2018, 08:13 PM   #6
FireForged

ready condition
Old April 13, 2018, 08:25 PM   #7
Rangerrich99

1911s-cocked and locked
strikers-one in the chamber w/full mag
DA revolvers-full chambers
Old April 13, 2018, 09:45 PM   #8
Kevin Rohrer

This question has been asked and answered too many times.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old April 14, 2018, 01:22 AM   #9
Cosmodragoon

I prefer DA/SA with no manual safety control. I only want to be concerned with one control in an emergency: the trigger. I like the safety built into that trigger with my first shot in double action. I like fast, crisp follow-ups in single action. I like the luxury of having it cocked for me by the action.

Yeah, people fret over having to practice in two modes. I think it's overblown, but I initially learned to shoot in this style as a kid. There are parallels to double-action revolvers. I don't see a lot of complaints about having two modes with those.
Old April 14, 2018, 05:02 AM   #10
Brit

The thing about this kind of post? The number of answers that show more than one model of gun carried on different occasions. Seems like some carriers of defensive pistols treat the pistol like a Lady chooses a fashion accessory.

Subject your body and brain to a massive surge of adrenalin! As in an attack by a criminal, now you have to drop a hand to a concealed weapon, and decide which gun are you wearing today!

My solution, same gun, the same place always. No memory game, Glock19 Gen 4, chamber loaded, 15 rounds in the magazine. Same place on the belt, same belt. Outside the belt holster, spare 17 round magazine on the left side, plus a Surefire very bright flashlight. Always. I have on more than one occasion, drawn and pointed a gun at people. Not shot anyone.
Old April 14, 2018, 05:22 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Revolver = all cylinders loaded
Striker = mag loaded, one in the chamber
1911* = Cocked and locked

* = back when I carried a 1911
Old April 14, 2018, 07:50 AM   #12
Viper225

I agree with the:
Cocked and Locked for 1911
Fully Loaded with one in the chamber for my Glocks
Fully loaded carry for my revolvers

I am not a fan of the DA/SA triggers like the older S&W semi auto's.
Back in 1992 when going through the police academy I did buy a 4046 S&W which was DA only. It was not a bad handgun at all, and the trigger pull was about like a nice DA Revolver.

I have no problem at all going from Glock to 1911 to Revolvers. The only thing is I need to carry my revolver speed loaders weak side where I carry my magazines for semi auto's.

If I had a handgun that I did not feel was safe to carry fully loaded, I would not own it long.

Bob R
Old April 14, 2018, 08:42 AM   #13
loknload

Revolver: 5 or 6rounds,,,All cylinders loaded plus two additional speed loaders

DA/SA: Full magazine, one in the cnamber with hammer down. One spare mag

That’s how I carry it!
Old April 14, 2018, 08:54 AM   #14
TheGunGeek

Chambered, safety on, DA/SA

& 1 spare mag.
Old April 14, 2018, 09:01 AM   #15
MandolinMan

I think most credible, professional trainers agree that regardless of what model of handgun you carry, it must be in a ready to fire condition. The assumption that one will have time to make their pistol ready to fire, whether by manually cocking the hammer or racking the slide, in the midst of a lethal confrontation is entirely unfounded.

That said, I understand its a personal decision and one must decide whats best for them based on their own unique circumstances.

Quote:
a common criticism for carrying DA is the difference in trigger pull for the first shot fired. To my understanding, this takes a lot of practice for some to get accustomed to and remain accurate.
With a little practice I think that you'll find its not nearly as difficult as some people make it out to be, and mastering the DA pull will make you a much better shooter.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old April 14, 2018, 10:08 AM   #16
Kvon2

Quote:
Yeah, people fret over having to practice in two modes. I think it's overblown,
strongly agree with this. A DA pull on a DA/SA gun likely won't make a difference in most personal defense uses. Of course if its the action if your choice, you should be practicing both trigger pulls.
Old April 14, 2018, 10:15 AM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

As in all things, you can find professional trainers who think that TDA or DA/SA guns are good or bad.

Just one example of the discussion - look through: http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...aturdays-class

The way to decide is to practice and then use the gun in something more intensive than the square range. What you 'think' can be tested empirically.

For me, I can shoot a 1911, Glock or DA revolver decently because I practice with them.
Old April 14, 2018, 11:01 AM   #18
briandg

Since I have bursitis, I have a teenager carry it.
Old April 14, 2018, 02:55 PM   #19
Siggy-06

Always keep a roundnin the chamber. If the gun I'm carrying has a safety I'll use it, if not no worries. Pico goes in the front pocket in a holster, bigger guns go owb at 3:00 in their holsters.
Old April 14, 2018, 03:44 PM   #20
2ndtimer

Sober.
Old April 14, 2018, 10:16 PM   #21
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... Seems like some carriers of defensive pistols treat the pistol like a Lady chooses a fashion accessory.

Subject your body and brain to a massive surge of adrenalin! As in an attack by a criminal, now you have to drop a hand to a concealed weapon, and decide which gun are you wearing today!
This is a compelling argument for two things:

1. Limiting the number of steps or controls to as few as possible (as in my earlier comment about "just the trigger" versus a separate manual safety and also keeping a round in the chamber).

2. Staying relatively consistent with your carry rotation.

In those emergency situations when getting the gun out, on target, and doing what it needs to do to save your life; all the "just a trigger" guns, whether DA/SA, DAO, or traditional double-action revolvers, should be close enough for most people.

As far as accessorizing, there is nothing wrong with having the right gun for the right weather, season, or style of dress. It can be pretty too, within reason.
Old April 14, 2018, 10:40 PM   #22
PlatinumCore16

I have two striker-fired pistols, one full size, one single stack carry size. They both have the same manual of arms: manual external safety, chamber indicator on the top. Makes things easy and I can transition between using them very easily. When carried, they both have a round in the chamber, full magazine, with an extra mag on my weak side.
Old April 14, 2018, 10:48 PM   #23
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndtimer View Post
Sober.
And situationally aware. Very aware.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 15, 2018, 09:31 AM   #24
hdbiker

I don't feel the need to carry my 1911, but if I did it would be cocked, unlocked on an empty chamber. Reason being if a attacker got control of my gun and pulled the trigger, it would go click, giving me seconds to respond to the attack. I practice racking the slide as I draw at the range !!! hdbiker
Old April 15, 2018, 09:49 AM   #25
ms6852

Condition one.