The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 16, 2018, 07:53 PM   #26
Sevens

My order of preference would be:
Mark II
(Search harder, or pay more to make Mark II happen)
Mark I
Mark III
Mark IV
Old July 16, 2018, 11:25 PM   #27
Fjblair

My MKII is a terrific shooter. It does not require frequent complete disassembly, when it does I just take my time, it's not a career ending experience.
Old July 19, 2018, 05:54 PM   #28
Go_Ordnance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifithitu View Post
I don't own a 22,I'm thinking about buying a Mark,but haven't made up my mind which one Mark,I II III or IV.
MK I
MK II
MK IV
MK III

If you want to go the nostalgic route, get the MK I or II. The MK III gets rid of the euro style mag release and moves it up on the grip, but I t also adds the stupid plastic loaded chamber indicator on the side of the upper. If you want the push button mag release, the MK IV has that with easier takedown and a milled lower receiver.
Old July 19, 2018, 06:30 PM   #29
Sevens

If the key word is STUPID, the stupid Mark III not only adds the stupid loaded chamber indicator, it also adds the royally stupid magazine disconnect safety.

The stupid Mark III would be a less annoying item if it didn't look so much like the pinnacle of a legendary design (Mark II)

If it was some pistol made by the Buger company and called the Rev 3 and simply priced to high, I would hate it less.

Stupid Mark III. Ptooey.
Old July 20, 2018, 12:54 AM   #30
Model12Win

No no, you've got it all wrong. The Mk IIIs are better because they're older. They're also better because they're discontinued.

When it comes to guns, the older ones are ALWAYS better and if its discontinued, better still.

The new Mk IV sucks because it's not old. Get it?
Old July 20, 2018, 04:03 PM   #31
Sevens

Seems to be the key in finding value in your posts.
Old July 23, 2018, 10:11 AM   #32
Pahoo

We are all, on a learning curve

Quote:
"Ignorance is BLISS"
Tread lightly my friend as we are all on a learning curve. There has only been one perfect man that ever walked the face of this earth and "we" blew that one. …

I have followed all generations of the MK-Family and no longer have a problem breaking one down. Have to admit that my first time, was rather awkward, but got there, soon after. Don't need to remind you that we are all on a learning curve and thankfully, a few of us were born with a tool in their hands. ……

I suspect that Ruger issued the MK-IV mostly to increase sales and assisting owners is a secondary benefit. I personally don't need one but never tell anyone, what to do with their money or spouse. Also keep in mind that we are here to help others. ……

L.B.C. and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 23, 2018, 07:37 PM   #33
1911_Hardball

I spent many, many years as a medic.
There's an age old saying in medicine: "Pain is as severe as the patient says it is".
I think that translates here: "Difficulty is what the operator says it is".
All men are created equal applies to to rights, not mechanical ability. I'd bet that those who find the disassembly/re-assembly of the Mk I/II/III challenging have other skills that many of us who have no problem with pre MK IV reassembly would envy.

"Keep your words soft and sweet. You never know, from day to day, which ones you might have to eat." ~Nipsey Russel
Old July 24, 2018, 12:23 PM   #34
Metallifan33

I love my MK IV. I haven't come across anyone who's bought one that doesn't like his. Just as a side note (there's enough people telling you that the MKIII is better and that the MKIII is worse).
The one little annoying thing is Ruger doesn't include a case with it. Not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless. Anyway, I got this case on Amazon. Also, I got the hunter model. Love the feel and design. It's nice to have a gun I can pass down to my kids that isn't plastic

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old July 25, 2018, 05:44 AM   #35
Z400ACDC

I have several Mark series pistols and I can work on them. Some are more difficult than others to strip. They have all been fine shooters and a joy to shoot for many years. I will not buy anymore older series pistols. The MKIV is so much easier to clean even though I can clean the old pistols. My mower has electric start even though I can pull a rope on a recoil starter!
Old July 26, 2018, 02:10 PM   #36
SGW Gunsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
My friends MKI is truly a work of mechanical art.

If I could find a MKI or MKII around here for a reasonable price, I probably would of jumped at it. Nobody wants to part with theirs (for good reason).

The durability of my MKIV remains to be seen, but it certainly seems built to last.
What do you consider to be a "reasonable price"? I have these two "fugly" Ruger Mark I pistols that I almost threw in the dump several times only to make room in my huge safe for several more Ruger Mark III pistols:

Old July 28, 2018, 09:51 AM   #37
SGW Gunsmith

Holey Underwear Batman! I found a couple more ugly Rugers tucked away in the gun safe:

Probably should take ALL these ugly pistols to "GOODWILL" this afternoon.
Old July 28, 2018, 10:19 PM   #38
3Crows

I have always loved my Mark II Target but after getting this Mark IV I prefer the Mark IV:

The Mark IV is the way to go.

3C
Old July 28, 2018, 11:07 PM   #39
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Crows View Post
I have always loved my Mark II Target but after getting this Mark IV I prefer the Mark IV:

The Mark IV is the way to go.

3C
I agree! Here's mine:

Old July 29, 2018, 06:10 AM   #40
Spats McGee
Staff

Enough of the bickering.