The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 23, 2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Joshua 2415

Who Does DA Caliber Conversions?

My goal is to ...somehow... end up with something like the S&W Model 627 8-round revolver, except with 8 or 9 rounds of 327 magnum instead of 357 magnum.

Also, I currently have a S&W Model 48 22 Magnum. I love this gun, but really wish it had 7 or 8 rounds of 22 magnum instead of just 6. I realize this must be simplistic thinking, but it seems like somebody should be able to get hold of a virgin Model 48 cylinder, and drill 7 holes instead of the traditional six. There's plenty of room there, it seems to me. I assume the timing would have to be adjusted for the 7 rounds instead of 6. But, just seems like it should be do-able.

I'm wanting to stay with Double-Action, not SA.

I've called a number of custom shops, but haven't yet found anybody who does these specific things I'm looking for. Is there anybody who will essentially build an actual "custom revolver" where "custom" means the revolver is built to custom specs, and not just do cool upgrades to an existing gun?

Any suggestions?
Old April 23, 2018, 03:50 PM   #2
burrhead

Quote:
seems like somebody should be able to get hold of a virgin Model 48 cylinder
I can't imagine anyone outside of S&W upper management could do that. I would guess for a few thousands of dollars you could find a very good machinist who could make one then, for some more money, get it fitted by a very good gunsmith.

How much do you want to spend?

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old April 23, 2018, 04:31 PM   #3
KEYBEAR

It would be much much cheaper to buy two or three Revolvers .
Old April 23, 2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Joshua 2415

The revolvers that I want are an 8-round 327 Magnum, and an 8-round 22 Magnum. As far as I can tell, neither exists as a standard commercially available product. So, I'm hoping to find somebody who can make them for me!

Old April 23, 2018, 06:55 PM   #5
Ricklin

Taurus

Taurus has their 992, if you can stand 9 vs. 8

Swappable cylinder so it also does .22 S L LR 9 rounds for that one too.
Old April 23, 2018, 07:21 PM   #6
Joshua 2415

Well, thanks for the heads-up on the Taurus. I didn't now about that one. It's definitely the idea I'm looking for. Unfortunately, after reviewing some pics, I'm just not thrilled with the aesthetics, especially the big billboard style "TRACKER" written across the barrel. I'm the type of person for which the looks have to be appealing to my personal tastes, or I just won't feel good about ownership.

But, that's the kind of revolver I have in mind. Does anybody else make something like that in 22 Mag?

And of course, I'm still looking for someone who can make or convert an 8-round 327 Mag... my Holy Grail of handguns!
Old April 23, 2018, 09:04 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Except the Taurus lockwork is garbage.
Old April 24, 2018, 12:37 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...a virgin Model 48 cylinder and drill 7 holes..." At over $100 per hour plus machine set up time.
"...actual "custom revolver" where "custom" means the revolver is built to custom specs..." Would be cost prohibitive.
Better to buy a Taurus M941 or 992. Or a Rossi Plinker. Or a Smith 351 PD. There are more of 'em than I thought.
Old April 24, 2018, 12:58 PM   #9
Joshua 2415

I already own the 351c, in fact I carry it in my pocket as a companion to my Model 48 which I (sometimes) carry IWB.

$100 per hour to drill 7 holes, plus setup time... well, since I have no idea how long it takes to do this stuff, let's suppose it takes a half hour to setup, and another half hour to drill the holes. That would be $100 total for the service work. Is this anything close to realistic? If so, I'd be very interested.

Also, what about finding the blank cylinder for the Model 48? Is this an easy thing, or a hard thing?
Old April 24, 2018, 02:06 PM   #10
burrhead

See post #2

Old April 24, 2018, 02:18 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Also, what about finding the blank cylinder for the Model 48? Is this an easy thing, or a hard thing?
"Funny" story...
I know where there's one sitting in the drawer of a workbench, in an unlocked garage, in the middle of nine-months-of-winter-and-three-days-of-summer Idaho, a mile from the closest neighbors, that will never be used for anything. It will roll around with the drill bits and wire brushes, getting beat to death, eventually rotting and returning to the earth, having never been given a chance to live.

But, no. They're not easy to find. Consider the concept to be fantasy, bordering on insanity.

The one I mentioned above was obtained in about 1973. (Don't ask. I can't buy it. If I could, I'd already have it.)
Old April 24, 2018, 02:29 PM   #12
Joshua 2415

Based on the insights of posts #11 and #2, lets suppose I miraculously come up with a blank cylinder for the Model 48, and then somehow get the 8 holes drilled in it. Are those my main challenges? Or, will there also be an issue with adjusting the timing, given that my regular Model 48 is a six-shot? Is the timing adjustment a big thing, or a little thing?

Last edited by Joshua 2415; April 24, 2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old April 24, 2018, 04:56 PM   #13
burrhead

Supposing the heavens open and you miraculously acquire the cylinder you want, then yes it'll have to be timed. That would not be a huge problem for a compatant gunsmith.

Old April 24, 2018, 09:18 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

The metal can be fabricated from round stock. A milling machine is needed to bore out the center pin hole and the cylinder holes. It's also needed to cut the star extractor and the cylinder notches and you'll need an index head for that.
Old April 24, 2018, 09:29 PM   #15
Joshua 2415

Ok...but, I don't know how to do any of those things. Do you know somebody who does that kind of work?
Old April 24, 2018, 09:58 PM   #16
Jim Watson

There was a place in Florida making odd cylinders as well as BHP clone parts. Unfortunately I cannot find it now.

There were full custom "high capacity" revolvers before the factories bothered. It has been done, it can be done. But not cheaply.
Old April 25, 2018, 12:12 AM   #17
Scorch

Quote:
let's suppose it takes a half hour to setup, and another half hour to drill the holes.
Quote:
.but, I don't know how to do any of those things.
First off, a good machinist that is willing to do one-off prototype work will likely charge $200/hr or more. You will pay for developing and making fixtures needed to hold the cylinder during machining. Then you will pay for set-ups. probably at least 3. You will pay for cutting tools. And you will pay for reamers (cylinder and throat and center pin). You will pay for the time to make drawings, order the materials and tooling, and machine maintenance. You will probably be into the manufacturing for more than $5,000 before your machinist even starts to make chips. One-off work is expensive.
Old April 25, 2018, 10:12 AM   #18
Joshua 2415

Wow! I was more hopeful when I was more naive about these costs.

But, it's good to know what is and isn't realistic.
Old April 25, 2018, 04:08 PM   #19
Ledslnger

Might want to check what Freedom Arms has. They will set you back closer to $2k I would guess.
Clarify...for their stock offerings. Not sure they will have what you want exactly though. They make some nice stuff.

Maybe check into a BFR...they may have something. They do customs too. You can get a .300 BLK revolver from them.
Old April 25, 2018, 04:23 PM   #20
Jim Watson

Just occurred to me, S&W makes a TEN shot M617. Rechamber to WMR.

Cylinder is $157.95 at Numrich but they say it is "bead blasted" which means it is probably aluminum for the earlier guns. They list another which might be steel, but it is out of stock. I don't know if the bolt circle is the same as M48, though.

Last edited by Jim Watson; April 25, 2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old April 25, 2018, 06:42 PM   #21
Joshua 2415

The S&W M617 and also M63 are both interesting ideas for a re-chamber to a high capacity 22 WMR. While I would prefer to modify my M48 if possible, I will pursue these other two.

Does anybody have suggestions for who would do the re-chambering work?
Old April 25, 2018, 08:49 PM   #22
Jim Watson

M63 is on J frame. I guess you could squeeze in seven.

All this is Type 3 modification, physically possible but hard to find somebody willing to go to the trouble.
Old April 25, 2018, 09:18 PM   #23
Clemson

I'm not saying that these folks would make what you want, but they certainly could:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/

Hamilton Bowen is a master revolver smith.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old April 25, 2018, 09:21 PM   #24
Clemson

p.s. It won't likely come for $100 either. The extractor star has to be fabricated, the cylinder stop holes have to be milled, the chambers are reamed -- not just drilled.........

Maybe $1000 would do it??
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old April 25, 2018, 09:58 PM   #25
Joshua 2415

Yes, I've been exchanging a few emails with Hamilton Bowen. He seems to specialize in Single-Action revolvers, while I am wanting DA. He hasn't yet conclusively said he can't help me, and we are still exchanging thoughts about this, but I'm not optimistic that this avenue will be fruitful.

As per posts #20-22, it would be good to find somebody who would do 22 LR to 22 Mag conversion on a S&W Model 63. That might scratch my 22 Mag itch.

Will also continue to hope for a way to get an 8-round 327 Mag. I discovered Janz Custom Revolvers (Germany) and have confirmed that they will build exactly what I am looking for, but it would cost ~10,000. I'm considering it, if only I can figure out how to sell everything in my wife's jewelry box, and her car, without her noticing.