The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 8, 2018, 09:52 PM   #1
Carmike

Slug barrel for a Rem 870?

Hello all,

I've been deer hunting for three years, using a muzzleloader and rifle. I've recently gained access to two different properties in shotgun-only zones, and I'm wondering if I should "invest" in a slug barrel for my Rem 870. The gun is currently used to scare the occasional pheasant.

To be honest, I haven't walked both properties yet, so I don't know the range I'd likely be shooting. I'm guessing it isn't that far from what I've been told about the cover, past hunting stories, etc.

What kind of difference in performance might one expect with the rifled vs. smooth bore?

Thanks in advance.

Carmike
Old April 8, 2018, 11:47 PM   #2
bamaranger

slug barrel v. a slug barrel that is rifled

Slug barrels come in two arrangements, rifled and smooth bored. The one advantage both have in common is that they likely will have rifle sights, a far better arrangement than the small game single bead on your pheasant barrel.

If you opt for a rifled tube, and fire modern "sabot" typed shotgun slugs thru it, you are likely to see a distinct improvement in accuracy, and range. So much so that you may wish to scope the shotgun. The sabot slugs, and perhaps some other new designs, grab that rifling and turn the shotgun into a 50 caliber rifle. (most sabot slugs are sub caliber) Just guessing, but I suspect that with a rifled, sabot slug firing, scoped shotgun, you can double the range of a smooth bore and conventional Foster slugs.

With conventional Foster slugs, even in the rifled tube, you may or may not see an improvement in accuracy. Most smooth bored, rifle sighted slug shotguns I've worked with, all 18-20" LE/SD models, would keep conventional Foster slugs on a paper plate at 100 yds, and some would do better. I'm betting a rifled, scoped, sabot slug gun would shoot into less than 3", but that is speculation
Old April 9, 2018, 07:27 AM   #3
Mobuck

Pretty wide market window for 870 slug barrels. I'd suggest looking for a used rifled bore barrel so you can use the sabot slugs. Scope mounting on an 870 is less than optimum so maybe a barrel with the cantilever mount would be an option. I believe those will retain zero when removed from the gun if you want to bird hunt w/o having to endure the pounding and expense of a re-zero.
Old April 9, 2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Carmike

Interesting. I guess I had (incorrectly) assumed that all slug barrels were rifled. Shows what I know (which is not much). What would be the benefit of a smooth bore slug barrel?

I hope not to put too much $$ into this project, as I still plan to hunt with friends and family in our traditional spot, which is in the rifle zone. If I get one there, I'm done for the year, so the access to the shotgun-only zone properties becomes moot.
Old April 9, 2018, 12:32 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...the rifled vs. smooth bore..." You can expect 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 with a smooth bore using Foster style slugs. Like bamaranger says, rifled barrels are really more for sabotted slugs. Either way, if your not reloading, you have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your shotgun shoots best just like any long gun.
Oh and scoping the thing will let you place the shot better. Just like it does a rifle. Not all 870's are D&T'd though.
"...assumed that all slug barrels were rifled..." Nope. Slug barrels are slug barrel because they have rifle sights. SOB's are friggin' heavy too. Walls of the thing are decidedly thicker than a bird barrel. Mind you, that helps absorb recoil.
The extra weight is easily dealt with by putting a sling on. $14.99 at Midway($22.99 at Cabela's) for an Uncle Mike's QD kit for an 870.
Old April 9, 2018, 01:46 PM   #6
Pahoo

Your money, your call.

Quote:
Interesting. I guess I had (incorrectly) assumed that all slug barrels were rifled.
You really have to read the labels as some folks think, incorrectly that all "sighted" barrels are rifled. you have smooth sighted, rifled sighted and cantilevered. .....

Quote:
"...the rifled vs. smooth bore..." You can expect 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 with a smooth bore using Foster style slugs.
That's a fair statement and when you keep in mind that the kill radius is about 18". The smooth bores can be very effective under these circumstances. Beyond that, performance really starts to fall. That is one reason that you have to plan on your hunting grounds. You did not state what kind of country you hunt. ....

I have hunted with and without rifling and most of my kills have been done with smooth bore, sighted barrels and cheaper fosters. Most o my kills have been under 100yds on standing and running deer.....
It's certainly your call and money and there are always trade-off. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 9, 2018, 05:28 PM   #7
bamaranger

smooth bore advantage

I'm thinking a smooth bore, rifle sighted slug barrel will be a bit cheaper. If you buy one with threaded muzzle, you can screw a turkey choke on it in gobbler season, and have a rifle sighted turkey carbine. It might also be useful throwing heavy shot at varmints like called coyote's (with say a std full or mod tube).

Not saying that is what you should do, just advantage and an option. If I were deer hunting locales where I wanted a rifle, but legislation MADE me hunt with a shotgun, I'd have a rifled/scoped set up for sure.

Be sure and check your game law. Some states (I hear) have it written in such a fashion that ONLY smooth bored shotguns are legal.
Old April 9, 2018, 06:57 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If your shotgun as is came with Rem chokes. My suggestion would be to buy just a (rifled) Rem choke. Cheaper than a new deer barrel and shoot equivalent. From my experiences 75 yards with a Rem Choke is about the limit for a 12 ga. Ball Slug with mediocre accuracy. Sabot do a bit better in yards >90-100. Don't expect to see a cloverleaf grouping from either. 2-4 inch groupings at full distance and sighting by eye without cheater glass is to be expected. Being honest a 12 ga has the accuracy and distance a 50 cal muzzle can provide when in the right hands. Only difference between the two your shotgun has one advantage >magazine.
Old April 10, 2018, 06:06 AM   #9
camper4lyfe

The only advantage smooth bore has over rifles is price. The barrel itself will be a little cheaper, as well as the slugs. Foster slugs are significantly cheaper than sabot slugs.
Old April 12, 2018, 02:09 AM   #10
Jack O'Conner

Within most states and localities, a muzzle-loader can be used for "shotgun only" shooting zones. You should check into it further. A modern in line muzzle-loader with scope is deadly well beyond 75 yards but without the huge recoil of a 12 gauge slug gun. I load my 50 caliber CVA Optima with Power Belts so it shoots tiny groups and the recoil is not bad at all.

I owned a Mossberg slug gun for a time with a fully rifled bore and 4X scope. It would group into a 3 inch circle at 100 yards. But the recoil and price of sabot slugs was discouraging so it had to go away.

Jack
Old April 26, 2018, 03:47 AM   #11
NHSHOOTER

I have to totally agree with Jack on this subject, here in NH you can hunt shotgun only areas with a muzzleloader and that is what I do. I did buy a 870 with a rifled barrel and scope at 1 point. It was heavy, accurate, but the recoil and price of the sabots (15 bucks for 5) really got to me. Traded it for a rifle and never looked back.
Old April 26, 2018, 10:24 AM   #12
Pahoo

Smooth bore advantages

Quote:
The only advantage smooth bore has over rifles is price
There are two other advantages that come to mind. ......

1) There choices for rifled barreled ammo is varied and somewhat confusing.
Everyone is using the their best and price goes up.

2) Secondary us; you can keep the shorter slug barrel on for use in HD.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 1, 2018, 12:00 PM   #13
rickt300

A smoothbore slug gun when matched with a slug it likes will easily give a solid 75 yard range and a bit more probably. I have both for my 20 gauge 870 and take both barrels when I go hunting. Where I hunt the ability to have shot available for other issues, Buckshot is handy at times too and I seldom see anything past 50 yards anyway I like my smoothbore overall better.
Old May 1, 2018, 03:15 PM   #14
Guv

So I bought a nice 30 or so year old 870 from a good friend but I am not really a bird hunter.
I do hunt pigs though and I found a used really nice polished blue Remington manufacturer rifled slug barrel with open sights.
I shoot 2 3/4 Brenneke Classic Magnums in mine and they shoot very well.
Plus the Classic Magnums don't require a new lean on the house mortgage!
We get about a 1 1/2 - 2 inch group at 50 yds.
Like a BigBad Ar$e rifle!

Last edited by Guv; May 1, 2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old May 1, 2018, 07:04 PM   #15
Pahoo

Smooth or rifled

Quote:
I do hunt pigs though and I found a used really nice polished blue Remington manufacturer rifled slug barrel with open sights
Is it a smooth-bore or rifled-bore ??

Be Safe !!!
Old May 1, 2018, 09:18 PM   #16
Model12Win

Brennekes in a smoothy can rival rifled barrel accuracy. Sabots will reach out and touch something futher though.
Old May 1, 2018, 09:38 PM   #17
FITASC

Smooth bore = non-sabot slugs
Rifled barrel = sabot slugs

That is the difference; which ones will work best for you is a trial and error scenario
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 1, 2018, 09:44 PM   #18
Guv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
Is it a smooth-bore or rifled-bore ??

Be Safe !!!
"Rifled slug barrel with open sights", it is rifled.
I originally wanted a smooth bore so buck shot could be used also but after shooting the rifled barrel I have no regrets.

Last edited by Guv; May 1, 2018 at 09:50 PM.