The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 28, 2010, 10:35 AM   #1
LinuxHack3r

Yugo SKS - Thinking of a purchase

I have found a local Yugoslavian SKS for sale. It still has cosmoline on the inside. New, unfired, $300. One thing that sorta makes me think is that the Yugo's do not have chrome lined barrels. The gun is beautiful and while I may put a few rounds through it, I mainly want it because it's beautiful. Here is the seller's description:

I have a Yugo sks with matching serial numbers
All original. comes with cleaning rod, leather sling, bayonet, grenade launcher, cleaning kit and oiler in leather pouch, also has cleaning kit in the stock. beautiful wood stock, no cracks or dents. this is the best example I have seen in a long time.
$300 cash, no trades please.

Just wanting various thoughts and comments, is the gun worth $300?
Old June 28, 2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

$300 seems to be a bit high for a Yugo SKS to me, but prices have been creeping up the past year with all the turmoil that has been going on.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 28, 2010, 11:28 AM   #3
thesheepdog

It looks like it's in pretty good condition. I would test fire it, and make sure the bolt is cycling.
Old June 28, 2010, 11:45 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

Quick look at gunbroker shows prices around 300 and up for "still grease on it" so you're probably doing alright. Not great, but alright.
Old June 28, 2010, 12:40 PM   #5
P5 Guy

Soviet SKS

I'd save up and buy a Soviet made SKS. They do not have the grenade launching gizmo and balance better. Around $450 should get you a nice USSR SKS.
Old June 28, 2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Technosavant

If it's one that was imported in re-arsenaled (basically new) condition and it has been well cared for, $300 isn't an awful price. Not a great one, but not a bad one.

I'd take a flashlight to look at the bore and pull out the gas valve for a detailed check. If those look as pristine as the rest of it, then it should be a good rifle.
Old June 28, 2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Not a great price, not terrible either. Personally, I much prefer the Russian SKS to any of the others out there. It would be worth it to me to save up a bit more but if that isn't a concern to you, check out the Yugo well before purchase but it sounds like it should be fine.
Old June 28, 2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Darren007

Quote:
I have found a local Yugoslavian SKS for sale. It still has cosmoline on the inside. New, unfired, $300. One thing that sorta makes me think is that the Yugo's do not have chrome lined barrels.
You are correct in your assumption, the Yugo SKS does not have chrome lined barrels.

But don't let that stop you from getting one. The Yugo SKS is well made and loads of fun to shoot. Personally, Ive never understood why the grenade launcher bothers people so much. I always thought it looked kinda cool. And to be honest, to me the Yugo felt better balanced than the Russian and Chinese SKSs that I shot. They always felt "bottom heavy" in relation to the muzzle and I didnt care for that.

Oh well, to each his own.
Old June 28, 2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Te Anau

Quote:
Just wanting various thoughts and comments, is the gun worth $300?
You guys are looking at this all wrong.A nice Yugo SKS is easily worth $300.00!
Just because they sold for less several years ago doesn't make them any less valuable.
Old June 28, 2010, 08:23 PM   #10
AMSting

Well said, Te. Ammo was really high several months ago and some people keep trying to sell at those prices when the current supply is better.

The OP just likes the gun, not necessarily as a shooter. I say go for it. Just because the price is what it is worth doesn't mean you shouldn't get it.
Old June 28, 2010, 08:34 PM   #11
Bamashooter

i agree that it is worth 300 bucks. i like the yugo alot better than the norinco, but i think the russian is the better of the three.
Old June 29, 2010, 02:40 AM   #12
Ignition Override

Yes, it is worth it if the gas selector valve is not corroded.
The grenade launcher can be removed.
Old June 29, 2010, 03:33 AM   #13
MoBart

I've been thinking about a paratrooper or carbine model myself. Anyone know of a source for them? I've been serching and haven't found any other then on gunbroaker.
Old June 29, 2010, 04:09 AM   #14
ISC

Quote:
If it's one that was imported in re-arsenaled (basically new) condition and it has been well cared for, $300 isn't an awful price. Not a great one, but not a bad one.

I'd take a flashlight to look at the bore and pull out the gas valve for a detailed check. If those look as pristine as the rest of it, then it should be a good rifle.
That's it in a nutshell. The Yugos are notorious for having gas systems so badly corroded that they won't cycle as semi autos. If it is like new that shouldn't be a problem.

The gas cutoff is a corrosion magnet so take a hard look at it, I'd want a picture of the gas valve, piston, and gas tube before I'd buy one online from a stranger.

If you plan to shoot the cheap yugo ammo that's out there now or any older Chinese or Russian copper washed ammo (don't see much of it anymore) do a thorough job cleaning it with a water based solvent before storing it or you'll create another non functioning Yugo.

The only SKSs that were made as "paratroopers" (that is a commercial designation, no one ever made a 16" military model) were made by the Chinese. Chinese rifles and ammunition were banned from import by Bill Clinton's executive order in 1994. All the 16" Chinese rifles will fall into one of these catagories:

1) commercial "paratrooper" rifle pinned barrel
2) Cowboy companion with integral siderail scope mount, threaded barrel
3) post import conversion. Some were quite profesionally done, others less so. They may have either a pinned or threaded barrel. They may be done from any nationality rifle.

I'd take a Chinese SKS over a Yugo any day and most knowledgable SKS collecters feel the same way.

A military production Chinese SKS is more desireable than a commercial model. Without going into arsenal stamps etc, they big thing to look for is:

1) threaded (better) vs pinned barrel
2) milled (better) vs stamped trigger groups
3) matching (better) vs non matching numbers
4) original configuration (better) vs aftermarket junkified
5) decent trigger and working safety (better) vs not

Last edited by ISC; June 30, 2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old June 29, 2010, 11:47 PM   #15
kymasabe

I've had a bunch of SKS's and the Yugo's are just not for me. THey're way heavier than the Russian and Chinese versions. Plus I don't like all that crap on the barrel. I just picked up a nice Norinco SKS for $225 out the door. It's not as pretty as that Yugo but I don't plan on staring at it, I plan on shooting it so I want something reliable and light. I don't like the Yugo gas valves. I believe someone makes something to eliminate them.
Old June 30, 2010, 10:21 AM   #16
thunderbird101

I recently picked up a yugo sks about 2 years ago for $235. Prices have gone up since then, and though $300 is not great, it's not bad either!

As other's have said, the barrels are not chrome lined. Also, the grenade launcher ( I am assuming you will not have a need for this, right? ) is just another part that can fail.

When I picked up my yugo, it too was covered in cosmoline and had evidently been fired a few times w/out being cleaned before being packed. Make sure you do a THOROUGH removal of cosmoline before firing it. I had some trouble w/ lightstrikes from the firing pin and failure of bolt to stay open after firing last round until I got the cosmoline fully out!

If you can find a Soviet or even Chinese SKS for a decent price I would suggest getting those, however this Yugo in question looks beautiful and in great condition!
Old June 30, 2010, 01:27 PM   #17
Technosavant

I just received my SOG circular yesterday, and they show "excellent/new" condition 59/66 models for a bit over $300 each.

So $300 may be a bit better deal than I thought if it is in great condition. As supplies overseas have dried up, priced have more than doubled.
Old June 30, 2010, 05:03 PM   #18
TraceG

MoBart:

Quote:
I've been thinking about a paratrooper or carbine model myself. Anyone know of a source for them? I've been serching and haven't found any other then on gunbroaker.
Check here, fellow is selling a Chinese Para SKS for I think $325'ish under their For Sale section:

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/index.php

OP's name is "Planning", pretty good guy and a Senior Member.
Old June 30, 2010, 06:35 PM   #19
Incognito

Bought a Yugo a few years ago at Big 5 Sporting Goods. The whole thing was slathered in cosmoline so inspecting the bore was useless. It came with a rifle log which indicated it only had about 60 rounds through it among other cool data.
After cleaning all the cosmo off with gasoline (I know), baking the stock and sweating it, washing it, sanding and refinishing it with tung oil, and touching up wear marks with cold blue, the rifle is one of my favorites to shoot (and I have some worth 5 times more). The grenade launcher, bayonet, and cleaning kit are all pretty cool extras from an era gone by.
There's just something about milled steel fitted to natural wood which makes it feel like a real rifle. Besides that, the rifle can hit a paper plate at 100 yds. no problem, and it's as reliable as an AK. For $300 you get a lot rifle, imo.
If you smell it closely, you can still notice the cosmoline; aaahhh

Tags
rifle , sks , yugo