The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 30, 2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Brando1992

New to Competition advise on holsters/gear

I have been shooting pistols frequently for the past few years and am ready to get out of the static paper target environment and start challenging myself and hopefully see a lot of growth in my shooting skills. The best way I know to do this is with some competitive shooting and classes!

I plan to start by shooting USPSA possibly IDPA and some local steel matches. I will likely shoot primarily USPSA until I get the gear and confidence for 3 Gun.

I know there is better competition specific gear than what I am mentioning but I am really looking at gear that will work for practical/tactical shooting as well as competition.

I just purchased a glock 17FS, I have been shooting glocks primarily for a few years and have decided to stick with the glock platform almost exclusively. I edc appendix carry a glock 19 that has had slidework done to it, I have a glock 22 converted to 9mm with a lone wolf threaded barrel as well as a 26 that is often carried. I will likely sell the 22 since it is now being replaced by the 17FS. I got an incredible deal on the 17 which is why I decided to buy it, I also wanted a 17 over a 34 because I can carry the 17 with no issues. Ive had 2 34s in the past but havent seen in practical difference for be between the 19, 17, and 34. all shoot well for me.

So heres where my questions come in. To shoot production what all can I do to my 17 to make it more competition ready?

I am looking at buying a trex arms ragnarok holster which will mount to my safariland UBL with a leg strap. I'm looking at the light compatable model with a streamlight tlr 1. Is the leg strap, and light allowed on the 17 when shooting production?

Whats the minimum number of mag pouches will I need for my first competition I have a double mag holder (the new convertable ones from aliengear) I would like to get away with those for the first match or 2 so I can figure out whatall would work best and then purchase more specific gear.
Or should I pick up a bladetech revolution combo that comes with a glock 17 holster(no light - with belt slide) and double mag pouch for $50 and throw on an alien gear mag pouch or 2 along side it.

Will a standard leather gun belt be okay for my first few matches or should I go ahead and purchase an inner and outer belt more specific for competition?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any and all advise!
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old August 30, 2017, 11:39 AM   #2
Brando1992

Also if anyone is based in Dallas and would like to show a rookie the ropes I would love to meet up with you just shoot me a PM!
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old August 30, 2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Read the rules, especially the appendix for Production.
There are limits on holsters and an attached light would probably not be allowed, no matter how kewl.
Old August 31, 2017, 06:48 AM   #4
Don P

As Jim stated read the rules before buying equipment at USPSA.org.
Quote:
I am looking at buying a trex arms ragnarok holster which will mount to my safariland UBL with a leg strap. I'm looking at the light compatable model with a streamlight tlr 1. Is the leg strap, and light allowed on the 17 when shooting production?
No, the holster is not allowed Appendix D4,
Handgun Rules, February 2014 Edition
APPENDIX D4 — Production Division
1 Minimum power factor for Major Not applicable
2 Minimum power factor for Minor 125
3 Minimum bullet weight No
4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge
case length
.38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)
5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major Not applicable
6 Minimum trigger pull No
Maximum size
Handgun and all magazines
(revolvers are exempt)
Yes, handgun with empty magazine inserted
must fit wholly within a box with internal
dimensions of 8 15/16” x 6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance
+1/16”, -0”) (8.938”x6”x1.625”)
(227.01mmx152.40mmx41.28mm)
8 Maximum magazine length See # 7
9 Maximum ammunition capacity Yes, maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine
after the start signal
10 Max. distance of handgun and
mags/speed loaders from inner
side of belt
Handgun and Mags - 2”

11 Rule 5.2.3.1 applies Yes
12 Restriction on position of holster
and other equipmen
t
(revolver speed loaders, moon clips
are exempt)
Yes, see Appendix E3
13 Optical/electronic sights permitted No, notch and post only
14 Installed flashlights permitted No
15 Compensators permitted No
16 Barrel ports permitted No
17 Slide ports permitted Yes, on factory-original approved models
18 Maximum weight Yes, 2 ounces with empty magazine inserted
over weight listed on approved pistol list
19 Handgun specific approval for
Division
Yes - see Special Conditions
20 Holster and magazine holder
restrictions
•Suitable for everyday use. “Race gun” type
holster prohibited.
•May not be manufactured or cut lower than,
and must cover the slide up to, 1/2” below
the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type
holster exempt).
•Revolver holsters open no lower than
halfway down the cylinder.
•The drop offset type holster is allowed in
production Division as long as the heel of
the butt of the gun is above the belt per
5.2.7.2 and the rest of the criteria are met.

•Each magazine must be contained individually
within the magazine pouch. Magazines may not be
retained through magnetic means.
I have place answers to your question in bold text
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 31, 2017, 07:18 AM   #5
Brando1992

Thanks that is very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 31, 2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Blade Tech Revolution holsters are injection molded and therefore cheaper than formed Kydex like Comp Tac or Ready Tac. Still serviceable, though.
Old September 2, 2017, 09:55 PM   #7
lmccrock

USPSA Production limits you to 10 rounds in a magazine. The magazines can hold more, you cannot load more than 10. Round count max on a stage is 32, so you need 4 minimum. But always have a spare, so 5. Not unusual to have 6.

I suggest you shoot a match and not wait for your gear to be perfect. If that means loading the G17 mags full and shooting Limited instead of Production, then go for it.

Have fun!
Old September 12, 2017, 05:55 AM   #8
Jeff22

Many shooters get all hung up on what kind of modifications they should make to their gun before beginning competition.

The answer is "none", especially if you are trying to build skills relevant to your duty/off duty/CCW gun.

Get a quality gun, a decent holster, a good belt, two double magazine pouches and six magazines and a nice bag to hold all your stuff in, and go to a few matches and shoot. Be safe, worry about accuracy over speed, and get an idea how the events are conducted.

Rather than spend a bunch of money on custom accessories, buy some practice ammunition and maybe attend a relevant class or two. That will be more useful in the long run.
Old October 1, 2017, 09:48 AM   #9
9x45

OP, the first best thing you can do is find the nearest match, even if it's a local action, and jump in. For USPSA, Production Division is your best bet because it's scored all minor. Wilderness Tactical belt, BladeTech holster, at least 5 single mag pouches (only 2 allowed for IDPA) and electric ears, you are good to go. Check with the match director first as some clubs require a safety class before you are allowed to shoot.

Now is you really are fixed on a drop leg holster or appendix*** (and wonder why everyone is looking at you funny) it can be worn in USPSA Open, Limited or Limited 10 Divisions, as holster position is not restricted. Drop legs are not faster to draw from.... and those divisions are all scored Major, and you would be shooting a Minor power floor, which means you only get half the available points for Bs,Cs and Ds as Major.

Competition shooting is 99% shooter ability and 1% gun and gear. So the 1% that counts on your gun is better sights, like Dawson Precision, Taran Tactical or Heinies, and decide if you want to roll with black on black, or a fiber optic front. Then put in a 3.5 OEM connector, and a $19 magwell. That's it for the gun. Then take competition shooting lessons from a USPSA Grand Master and get the fundamentals down: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, moving on to transitions and movement. And after all that, prepare to be humbled.....

*** not allowed in IDPA.

https://www.amazon.com/Assistant-37-...=glock+magwell

Last edited by 9x45; October 1, 2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old October 1, 2017, 11:33 AM   #10
PPGMD

I am not sure where you are getting that a drop leg would be for the race holster divisions, as there is nothing in the rules explicitly prohibiting drop leg holsters in production.

The only difference between the race holster divisions and production is that you are required have all equipment behind the hip bone. The rule that would most affect a drop leg holster, the vertical position, is the same between production and the race gun divisions. 5.2.7.2 applies to all divisions except single stack (which requires the front strap of the gun above the belt).
Old October 1, 2017, 01:39 PM   #11
9x45

It's not race divisions, it's Open, Limited and Limited 10 per Appendix D1, D2, and D3, 12 Restriction on position of holster and other equipment No

Production and Single Stack per Appendix D4 and D5
12 Restriction on position of holster and other equipment (revolver speed loaders, moon clips are exempt) Yes, see Appendix E3. Both E2 and E3 restrict holster and gear.

Notice for Open, Limited and Limited 10 Divisions that E3 is not referenced therefore it does not apply.
Old October 1, 2017, 02:00 PM   #12
PPGMD

All three divisions you cite allow race holsters thus I was calling them collectively the race holsters divisions. It is just easier to type than Open, Limited, and Limited 10.

But as I mentioned there is no rule against drop leg holsters. The only limitation that could affect drop leg holsters is 5.2.7.2 which requires the butt of the gun to be above your belt. It is highly unlikely that a drop leg holster would be affected by Appendix E3 (the requirement to help your holster and mag pouches behind your hip bone), due to how the holsters would naturally be positioned on your leg.
Old October 2, 2017, 06:30 AM   #13
Don P

Quote:
. and those divisions are all scored Major, and you would be shooting a Minor power floor, which means you only get half the available points for Bs,Cs and Ds as Major.
This is TOTALLY INCORRECT.
Major Scoring A-5, B-4, C-4, D-2
Minor Scoring A-5, B-3, C-3, D-1

Quote:
The only limitation that could affect drop leg holsters is 5.2.7.2 which requires the butt of the gun to be above your belt. It is highly unlikely that a drop leg holster would be affected by Appendix E3
Holster restriction mentioned above is for Single Stack, Production, and Carry Optics
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.